Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best way to find a new puppy? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

Within reason, it is good for pets to be expensive to purchase. It helps ensure that the buyer really wants the animal and can afford to care for it. Too many inexpensive pets are purchased on a whim, destined to be neglected, given away or adandoned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Keeper

I am a veteran of both show ring and field trial exhibitions. My mother and I bred and owned setters awarded champion status in both.

First, obtain a listing of breeders and recommendations from the national breed club: https://thelabradorclub.com/

1. Buy from a well reputed breeder who will offer a money back guarantee against hip dysplasia and other genetic problems.
2. Find that breeder by referral through the national breed club.
3. Obtain several names of well reputed breeders and write a letter for contact which describes what you want. For example: I want a healthy, breed typical, non show puppy with potential field potential and free from genetic difficulties.
4. Carefully read your responses and contact those that seem to be legit and willing to guarantee health and shots.

Be prepared to pay for the cost of careful breeding and a health guarantee.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:01 AM
Minnow

Most of the rescues do have puppies. We got ours from Coco's Heart (Hudson WI). Second hand hounds is also an option and if you are looking for a golden, RAGOM (Retrieve a Golden of the Midwest) is golden specific. I see you are in WI and know there are also a couple of Lab rescues centered there (if you want a lab) So if you want to rescue a puppy is still an option.

If you want to go with breeders there are a couple of facebook groups to look at. Not sure if you are looking for a specific breed but if you search for labrador puppies mn I know there is a specific lab group for breeders in MN/WI. I'm sure you can find the same for other breeds. Some of the groups are pretty strict on who can advertise. The one I mentioned requires breeders to post their test results for eyes, hips etc. I think that might be the best way to get pretty dedicated breeders who care about the breed.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Wallhanger

Whatever you do don’t buy from a newspaper or internet ad. Go to akc.org and look for the recognized breed club for the breed you are interested in. Give them a call and ask for a referral to a local breeder. They can also point you in the direction of the type of dog you may want. Whether it be a field, show or just a pet. Do your research and you will find the dog with good temperament and conformation. Avoid backyard breeders and obviously puppy mills. That’s why I always have made a point to visit the breeder’s location whenever I have purchased a puppy. I have traveled to Ohio and Wisconsin to pick up pups. Both have turned out to be excellent companions and workers. I have put obedience and agility titles on both of them. I don’t hunt so I didn’t get involved in field training my labs but I’m confident they would have done well.
The going rate for a well bred pup is going to be $1000+ but you get what you pay for. My last pup that is 8 years old now cost me $950. My 11 year old female cost $900.

As a side note, if your interested in a Lab pup, the breeder of my male sent me a email yesterday saying that she had two possibly three yellow labs available. She is located in Ripon,WI. I have no vested interest with this breeder. PM me if you are interested. She breeds for performance and conformation.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Wallhanger

PM sent Bstar.

Thank you all for the input and some breeder leads.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

I’ve always rescued lab muttshttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...4e4170e5d9.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...47b87c6094.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...b86a2fea7f.jpg of some form or another. I currently have 2 a lab/lab pit bull named Ruger and a lab beagle named Henry Ruger is 11 and looks like a chocolate lab Henry is just over a yr and looks like a small black lab with some brindle. Both are amazing dogs and have had minimal medical issues. In my opinion training is the most important part of a good dog. I’m a firm believer that it takes time and a sore hand to have a good puppy. People are always amazed at my dogs in public just yesterday I had them with me when I stopped for ice cream and standing in line neither were on a leash and both payed at my feet. https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...3a1cc00a02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstar View Post
Whatever you do don’t buy from a newspaper or internet ad. Go to akc.org and look for the recognized breed club for the breed you are interested in. Give them a call and ask for a referral to a local breeder. They can also point you in the direction of the type of dog you may want. Whether it be a field, show or just a pet. Do your research and you will find the dog with good temperament and conformation. Avoid backyard breeders and obviously puppy mills. That’s why I always have made a point to visit the breeder’s location whenever I have purchased a puppy. I have traveled to Ohio and Wisconsin to pick up pups. Both have turned out to be excellent companions and workers. I have put obedience and agility titles on both of them. I don’t hunt so I didn’t get involved in field training my labs but I’m confident they would have done well.
The going rate for a well bred pup is going to be $1000+ but you get what you pay for. My last pup that is 8 years old now cost me $950. My 11 year old female cost $900.

As a side note, if your interested in a Lab pup, the breeder of my male sent me a email yesterday saying that she had two possibly three yellow labs available. She is located in Ripon,WI. I have no vested interest with this breeder. PM me if you are interested. She breeds for performance and conformation.
So let me get this straight, according to you all puppies from an accidental breeding (like mine) and all puppies that come from non-breeders are no good. What should we do with those litters, take em to the river in a sack? Drop them off at the local shelter so the "Po" folk can have em. No offence but you are just wrong! I agree with you on the puppy mill places and should be put out of business. But to just blanket statement that if it is a newspaper ad or internet ad, what is that person to do to sell their puppies?
This is my 4th Springer, the first 2 were from local families that had a litter, my last one was from a breeder in IA. All 3 were fantastic, it's how they are trained and socialized. Of course you want to see the litter and parents (both) if possible and see what you may end up with. But just because you paid a grand or more doesn't make one dog better than another. I have seen mutts that hunt circles around "championship bloodlines". I have a "conformation" champ in a Yellow lab at my house too. Comes from field champion pointing lab stock.......worst hunter I have ever seen, terrible! But she is the best house lab, my wife has her obedience trained (ruins them for field work) now and does really well at that, but get her in the tall grass, forget it! Dogs are more like people than you want to admit, they are all different in their own ways, fancy paperwork and a high price tag does not make the dog great, just makes the owner feel special and gives them something to brag about.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
So let me get this straight, according to you all puppies from an accidental breeding (like mine) and all puppies that come from non-breeders are no good. What should we do with those litters, take em to the river in a sack? Drop them off at the local shelter so the "Po" folk can have em. No offence but you are just wrong! I agree with you on the puppy mill places and should be put out of business. But to just blanket statement that if it is a newspaper ad or internet ad, what is that person to do to sell their puppies?
This is my 4th Springer, the first 2 were from local families that had a litter, my last one was from a breeder in IA. All 3 were fantastic, it's how they are trained and socialized. Of course you want to see the litter and parents (both) if possible and see what you may end up with. But just because you paid a grand or more doesn't make one dog better than another. I have seen mutts that hunt circles around "championship bloodlines". I have a "conformation" champ in a Yellow lab at my house too. Comes from field champion pointing lab stock.......worst hunter I have ever seen, terrible! But she is the best house lab, my wife has her obedience trained (ruins them for field work) now and does really well at that, but get her in the tall grass, forget it! Dogs are more like people than you want to admit, they are all different in their own ways, fancy paperwork and a high price tag does not make the dog great, just makes the owner feel special and gives them something to brag about.
Let me clarify, I'm not saying that any dog that does not come from a reputable breeder are no good and should be discarded. In fact, besides the two labs we did get from breeders, we also rescued a dog from your neck of the woods in Janesville. Previously we have had three backyard bred labs. Two of them were wonderful dogs. The third one not so much. What I am saying is there are thousands if not millions of dogs in this country sitting in shelters because of "accidental " breedings. By purchasing a pup from a backyard breeder or worse we just promote these kind of "businesses" if you will. In a perfect world every dog that is not going to be bred for show, field or performance should be spayed or neutered. But that isn't how it works. And I don't care what the breed is.
Now the OP wants to know what's the best way to find a puppy these days since it's been 11 years since he got his current dog. I gave him my opinion and experiences just like you did, and I respect your opinion. I may not agree with it but I respect it.
As far as obedience training ruining a field dog I think I have to disagree on that one because any kind of performance work with a dog get's it's start with basic obedience. Now I have not field trained any dog so I'll leave that argument for you field trainers out there but I will say this, one of the country's top obedience trainers who has won the National Obedience Championship and has gone to the UK to compete in the Cruft's Obedience Championship has also put Master Hunter titles on five of her dogs. That's not an easy feat.
As far as obedience/agility titles, all they mean is that you and your dog have put in the time and effort to earn those titles. For me AND my dogs it was the companionship and teamwork that makes it worthwhile. The countless but fun hours we spent together training for each one of those qualifying runs and non- qualifying runs. That's what those fancy papers are all about.
The price I paid for my pups was not bragging. I was just trying to give the OP an idea of what he should expect to pay for a well bred dog. Plain and simple.
I hope this clarifies my post.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbfrommn View Post
Most of the rescues do have puppies. We got ours from Coco's Heart (Hudson WI). Second hand hounds is also an option and if you are looking for a golden, RAGOM (Retrieve a Golden of the Midwest) is golden specific. I see you are in WI and know there are also a couple of Lab rescues centered there (if you want a lab) So if you want to rescue a puppy is still an option.
Agreed. There are hundreds of puppies that come into rescues. You may have to wait a bit, but puppies are literally coming in every week.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster7600 View Post
I’ve always rescued lab muttshttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...4e4170e5d9.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...47b87c6094.jpghttps://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...b86a2fea7f.jpg of some form or another. I currently have 2 a lab/lab pit bull named Ruger and a lab beagle named Henry Ruger is 11 and looks like a chocolate lab Henry is just over a yr and looks like a small black lab with some brindle. Both are amazing dogs and have had minimal medical issues. In my opinion training is the most important part of a good dog. I’m a firm believer that it takes time and a sore hand to have a good puppy. People are always amazed at my dogs in public just yesterday I had them with me when I stopped for ice cream and standing in line neither were on a leash and both payed at my feet. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
cdn.com/20180511/5223c06b6b92ed435c1f533a1cc00a02.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good looking pups. I bet they have given you a lot of fishing and hunting enjoyment.

PjShorthorn