Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Packing Heat when fishing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Default Packing Heat when fishing?

Heres a subject sure to get some varied responses, as it incompasses that liberal/conservative barrier, as well as one's personal views on this subject.

In our state of Michigan we have the (Right to carry law), which is the right to carry a concealed weapon. This law was recently passed about 2 years ago now. A training course with a NRA trained professional that includes 8 hours total of book learning and range shooting is mandatory. You learn the strick laws and rules to carry a concelaled weapon, some shooting safety tips and then issued a certificate of passing. This is taken to your local court house for a permit application. This is fallowed by finger prints, a passport quality photo for your permit card and a background check by the local Sheriff Office for any fellony or high misdameneors. All these requirments take your time and all have fee's, and they are not cheap. Failing any of the above tests and requirments and your application is automatically denied. Finally a board meets, which consists of police officers or an appointed official, and either your application is approved or denied.

I'm a big guy and take care of myself fairly well in (lets say) human misunderstandings. I've found many of these misunderstandings occur while in and around the water, when people should be out having fun versus getting mad/upset about things. Of course, often the added (FUN) of drinking alcohol by some people fuels the fire to this (not so fun) altercation equation. Also I had an incident take place about 5 years ago now that shook even me a bit. This incident caused me to seek and get my own Concealed Weapons Permit two years ago when the law was passed. I now carry my pistol when on the highway traveling to different far away locations or while fishing at night.

It was a night trip that caussed me to take this action. While quiting fishing for the night on a local river, I was confronted by a young male leaning against my pickup truck in the deserted, dark parking lot at about 5:00am in the morning. From a slight distance I asked the interloper what was going on? He ask me if I had caught any fish? I replied yes, both me and my buddy had limited out. He then asks if he could have a couple of these fish to take home? I said sure, you have a bag or a cooler we can put a couple in? He says nope, How about you give me your cooler? At that point my (MAD) meator started to kick in. I tell him, look if you don't have anything to put these fish in, I'd appreciate you getting away from my truck so I can hook up my boat and leave. Out of the darkness another voice say's, Hey don't get all jacked out of shape or you might get hurt. I spin on my heals and head back to the launch and tell my bud to call 911 on his cell phone. Neither one of the two guys fallow me down to the ramp as there is lights there. The 911 operator tells me that my call is not an emergency. I tell her in so many words that it may soon be one if they don't send a police car. Ten minutes later a police car pulls into the parking lot. I tell the officers what happened and they search the parking lot area and find nobody of course. They tell me they have been getting complaints from night fishermen of batteries being stolden, cars/trucks being broken into and one assault by one guy all alone pulling out one night.

So, in this day and age it seems even fishing is frought with dangers not so obvious. What do you guys think of this problem and my soulution to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Keeper

Default RE: Packing Heat when fishing?

Occasionally my wife does some summer walleye fishing on the Upper Miss.alone. She ALWAYS has her cute little Glock 27 with her. We take it along on trips also.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Slot Fish

i always have a compact 410ga. in my side console,,,,,anytime i fish lake erie night or day its there for that reason. a few years back i had a couple of yahoos try to board my boat on erie,,,they were surprized and we went our own ways,shadowalker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

In this day and age, you almost have too. There are so many wackos out there. I usually have the gun with me when I go out, you never know when you are going to catch JAWS!!
Old 05-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

The person who dropped the ball on this is the 911 operator. They should be sending the police regardless and let the cops figure out if it was an emergency or not.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:38 AM
TJ.

I live in northern Wi and see no reason what so ever to bring a gun out fishing. I have never herd of a murder or armed robbery from a boat in 40 some years. Know one I know up here brings a gun out fishing. Never have never will. Love to hunt and fish also a member of the NRA and DU but see no reason for a gun in my boat. I thught this thread was some kind of joke at first.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:39 AM
BeenThere

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said "An armed society is a polite society."

If it is legal to be armed, do so. We in Wisconsin don't trust our taxpayers enough to allow them a CCL yet. I am glad you do.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Bushwkr

A nickel finish, plastic stock pump 12 gauge is std equipment on my boat. Has been for years.
A few deer slugs, some 00 buck, and 7 1/2's in a water proof ammo carrier can come in handy.
Kept my trailer from getting stolen once.
I don't allow ANY handguns in a boat. But that's just my rules.

When you travel/fish at night and at dubious dark places, it is foolish not to be prepared.
Sadly, there's a lot of stoned crazy's out there.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:08 PM

As I was reading this thread I thought about the times when I would river fish in downtown Rockford, Ill. The area around this downtown dam had the worst crime in the City. But you could catch walleyes below the dam. I was always thinking about what I would do if some one approached me etc. But I was 25, 10 foot tall and bullet proof at that age.

I have never carried a gun when fishing. However, I think it may be a good idea in certain places.

Ivy
Old 05-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

I feel kind of lucky.

I have never had a situation like that and have never even thought about needing to carry a gun.

I do think that if it's legal in your state and you meet the requirements, go for it.