Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fuel line replacement - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-29-2018, 10:32 PM
Minnow

Default Fuel line replacement

I have a 1999 Honda BF90 that’s been a great motor. I replaced my fuel line from fuel tank to engine last summer as the bulb was getting pretty stiff. Wondering when I should replace internal fuel lines on the engine itself. No info in owners manual.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 05:36 AM
Wallhanger

When they start leaking.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 01-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Walski,
Not a bad idea to check the lines.

But, after looking at a lot of boat, and checking under the hood so to speak, it seems that the largest majority of the boats are using a very alcohol resistant fuel line under the decks and seem to remain flexible with no issues for many many years.

Never hurts to check.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Wallhanger

FWIW, my 1991 Johnson outboard still has all the original fuel lines under the cowl and they don't leak.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Minnow

Thanks for your input. If you have a 91 with no problems that’s got me thinking I’m worried about nothing. I’ll have to go through and see if anything feels crispy just for peace of mind. I have a 1965 Merc with original fuel lines, but that motors never seen any ethanol. I fish Canada every summer, and I know I get plenty of Ethanol in that gas. I don’t think my lines from 99 would be the alcohol resistant type???
Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walski View Post
Thanks for your input. If you have a 91 with no problems that’s got me thinking I’m worried about nothing. I’ll have to go through and see if anything feels crispy just for peace of mind. I have a 1965 Merc with original fuel lines, but that motors never seen any ethanol. I fish Canada every summer, and I know I get plenty of Ethanol in that gas. I don’t think my lines from 99 would be the alcohol resistant type???
Hard to say without knowing what kind of lines you have. The OEM fuel pump in my '91 Johnson is a 2nd-generation pump designed to tolerate ethanol in gasoline and it has so far done that. Even my 1967 Plymouth still has some of the original rubber fuel lines and they are in good condition. That car has been run on E10 for ~30 years. OTOH, there are gray marine fuel lines with red lettering sold in the early 2000's that didn't last 10 years with ethanol exposure. I've never seen those gray lines installed under the cowl of a new outboard.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Minnow

Mine are gray with black lettering.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Actually, outboard motors have been built since the 80's with alcohol resistant line.

Having said that - there are alcohol resistant lines of the 80s, and there are alcohol resistant lines of 2018.

Good luck
Old 02-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Wallhanger

The fuel lines will look great on the outside and not leak what needs to be checked is the inside of the lines for flaking. Had to change my 2000 Opti fuel lines the inside were just flaking away.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Minnow

That’s what I’m afraid of, what’s in the inside. I’ve heard of tiny black pieces of deteriorated fuel line screwing up carbs. I was told by a fellow fisherman that you can tell if you have the fuel lines with the ethanol resistant lining by the type of clamp used. The lining is slippery, and you need flat clamps to hold it. Regular fuel lines have wire compression clamps. I never heard that before, and haven’t been able to find anything on it. My lines have the small wire compression clamps holding the lines on. Anyone ever heard that before ?