Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dewalt 20v Spotlight? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default Dewalt 20v Spotlight?

On the evenings I stay out late fishing, it would be nice to have a spot to assist in coming in to the ramp. I don't want to light up the world, and don't need it for general fishing tasks (I have small lights available for that)...but there are a few "no wake" spots where I find it impossible to see the marker buoys, sailboat buoys, until I almost hit them. Would this be up to the task, Since I have several of the battery packs? Thinking of putting it on the Xmas wish list....

https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...otlight/dcl043
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 01:57 AM
Wallhanger

Don’t know about the dewalt. I’ve got a makita for work that I take when expecting to be out late, does a great job. My depth perception in the dark isn’t what it was 30 years ago and the light is invaluable for navigating buoys and sliding up to the dock. Also use it anytime someone is running on plane within 1/4 mile of me. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:12 AM
Wallhanger

Consider looking into a marine style Q Beam for boating that can be hooked up to one of your boat batts on the way in. I’ve used one of these when coming in from bay fishing at night off the Gulf of Mexico. We would fish at night and it was dark dark at 2 am.

The one thing that concerns me on the Dewalt is that the specs indicate can be “seen“ up to 1525 ft, but not how far it will illuminate. Seeing a light a distance is one thing, seeing from the boat is a different thing. Also it says it is only 1000 lumens.......I have head lamps that are quite a bit more than that.

PjShorthorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Copy PJ's comment.

Led lights are remarkably bright - for a short distance. I have not seen any LED lights that have a long range "search light" capability.

I assume that you have a power outlet in your boat? If not, you have a 12 volt battery that you can use alligator clips to attach a light.

As PJ said, the Q beam type lights are a proven very successful marine night search light with excellent long range lighting ability:

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-Spo.../dp/B078NPYFWT

Or

https://www.amazon.com/GOODSMANN-TAC...229973&sr=8-12

In the link posted directly above, click on the "Video" in the ad. View the video to reveal the lighting pattern that you get on a dark night.

As the ad illustrates --- illuminates out to 1700 feet. Many times further than one gets by even the best of the led lights.

------------------------------
Having said that, the use of LED - head band mounted lights are virtually unbeatable for night fishing and to illuminate things that are 10 feet or less away.

When I am in the shop - and if there is any sort of lighting issue at all, I will grab my head mounted light, turn it on and enjoy the bright illumination, no matter where I might look. But, not good for long distance.

Best wishes.

p.s.
Over the years, I have picked up 8 or 10 Q beam lights and always have at least two of them in each vehicle as well as my boat. Never know when one might need a really bright long distance light.

p.p.s.
By the way, if you want to purchase the Dewalt light with the use of one of your several batteries, by all means go for it. I have used these Dewalt lights for close up (i.e. 5 feet or less) and the lights to a suburb jof of illuminating your area for this distance or less.
The ability to tilt the head works to your advantage when you are the only one in the area and need to set the light down, to free up your own hands to to the work.

But, if you do purchase one of the Dewalt lights, also pick up one of the Q beams to keep in your boat.

The Q beams also work very well, if you are in a dark neighborhood and are looking for house numbers to find an address. The long distance lighting of the Q beams - let you do this task with ease.

Last edited by REW; 11-24-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Copy PJ's comment.

I assume that you have a power outlet in your boat? If not, you have a 12 volt battery that you can use alligator clips to attach a light.

As PJ said, the Q beam type lights are a proven very successful marine night search light with excellent long range lighting ability:

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-Spo.../dp/B078NPYFWT

I used this one many times works great.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks all. The original idea about the Dewalt came from a discussion on an RV site, and since I had just upgraded my drill, impact driver, etc. ....

But in reflection, the spot won't get used all that frequently. So having to remember it, or having one that needs batteries/recharging may not be optimal. But on the boat, I do have lots of batteries....

So with clips and one of the ones referenced, I should be set! Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-26-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Default A couple thoughts

Rechargeable lights have failed me when needed. So I've gone to a hard wired with Weatherpac plugs in the boat. And around the farm Streamlight "C" cell battery powered lights.

In the boat I have a dedicated wired in extension cord about fifteen foot long with a Weatherpac fitting and an fairly inexpensive 12 volt hand held spot light for coming in at night.

For use around the house and farm I prefer a battery powered light. Sometimes there isn't time for a recharge when needed. Changing "C" batteries is under a minute.

For the shop I'm ordering a Milwaukee light that uses the same batteries as all of my other Milwaukee tools. Since it is the shop and I have over a dozen batteries charged or in chargers all the time that is (like the OP) a good application.

Pooch

https://www.streamlight.com/products...index/waypoint

https://www.amazon.com/GOODSMANN-TAC...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61-jcQycbjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	322584  
Attached Images

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 11-26-2020, 12:44 PM
Wallhanger

There are dozens of cordless Lithium powered handhelds for $40 to be had. Super powerful! Long lasting.
https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Spot...held+Spotlight
Old 11-26-2020, 03:28 PM
Wallhanger

I always carry a dewalt light and use it for docking. Another trick I use is a landscape solar LED ( charge in the day) then duct tape to a post on the dock. Sure makes finding the dock easy. Then it’s waiting for you when you leave take with you. And if someone steals it you’re only out a couple bucks. That hasn’t happened yet.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

For a spot light this is the one I give an A+

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-SL10L...ecentralcon-20