Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling motor question? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 AM
Minnow

Default Trolling motor question?

Please help me to understand something. It has been years since I had a bow mounted trolling motor. This week I bought a MK Terrova ipilot with Bluetooth. It's going on a 16 foot Lund. My question is this: is a mounting plate necessary? I have never really paid that much attention to them, and I guess, just thought of them as an anti-thief device. Am I wrong? I do not plan to take the motor off and on, the boat stays at home and I seldom travel anywhere with it. If that's what they're for, I do not see a need, but if I am wrong, please enlighten me.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

You don't NEED one however if the bolts are hard to reach a mount makes it easy to remove if it needs service. They are only like $60 so I put one on for security purposes and ease of removal. Remember to snap a padlock on so thieves can't just grab it.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
You don't NEED one however if the bolts are hard to reach a mount makes it easy to remove if it needs service. They are only like $60 so I put one on for security purposes and ease of removal. Remember to snap a padlock on so thieves can't just grab it.
I hadnít thought of putting a pad lock on mine thatís a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 04:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by usma65 View Post
I do not plan to take the motor off and on, the boat stays at home and I seldom travel anywhere with it. If that's what they're for, I do not see a need, but if I am wrong, please enlighten me.
Thanks
If you have no plans to take off the TM there is no need for a plate.......IMHO it's MUCH harder for a thief to remove a permanent TM then one that's on a quick removal plate.

I travel with my boat and the TM is the least of my worries when traveling.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

A mounting plate with a padlock really isn't that much good for theft prevention nowadays. But that's what I have on mine. Anyone with a small cordless cutoff saw with an abrasive blade can make short work of it.
My rig is seldom parked anywhere long enough for that to be a problem. It all depends on your specific situation.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
A mounting plate with a padlock really isn't that much good for theft prevention nowadays. But that's what I have on mine. Anyone with a small cordless cutoff saw with an abrasive blade can make short work of it.
My rig is seldom parked anywhere long enough for that to be a problem. It all depends on your specific situation.
I have a Large Bolt Cutter that will snip off most locks in less then 20 seconds..... I sure thief's have one too.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Wallhanger

Yes, any lock can be removed quickly. I still use them. Hopefully they will find an easier boat to attack.

Frank
Old 03-25-2019, 01:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I have a Large Bolt Cutter that will snip off most locks in less then 20 seconds..... I sure thief's have one too.
While there is validity in what you say there are locks that do not allow purchase on the shank and plenty that require 3' handles to cut hardened shanks. Those don't fit in your pocket too well. Nothing is theft proof but if the boat next to yours does not have a lock, guess whose motor gets removed. Insurance for the rest. Removal for one of several reasons becomes a bit tedious if it is bolted down. Its is worth the price of the quick detach mount for me. Bob
I used Master lock #7047 with a little grinding to fit my Minn Kota mount.

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 03-25-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

Trolling motors are a crime of opportunity. Nobody goes down the road (walking or driving) with a cut-off wheel or bolt cutters looking for trolling motors. If they have that equipment they will take the whole rig. Boat, motor, trailer and drive away.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Wallhanger

Actually my lock is Master 7035. Looks the same but for correct reference 7035(pro series)