Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund or alumacraft 18ft tiller ride? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Minnow

Default Lund or alumacraft 18ft tiller ride?

Good morning. I was curious if there was anyone on gull lake in brainerd (or nearby) that would be interested in showing off their 18 ft tillers performance for me. I currently own a 04 lund pro v tiller with an 04 honda bf90a. I am curious how the newer engines perform compared to the Honda. I can only get 30.5 (31.6 with faster prop but hole shot is not acceptable)wot and have to believe the newer engines are better. I've had the engine looked at and everything is operating as it should. I'm considering either a repower or possibly a new rig but like to see how different the performance is. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Keeper

Tburt
I can't help you with a test ride but might help with past experience. I repowered my last tiller boat (17.5" SeaNymph) in 05 with merc. 60 4S. It was EFI and Honda was carberated at the time. The EFI was a great runner but like you, hole shot was terrible. I put ProTroller Trim tabs on the boat to help with trolling speeds and for hole shot improvement. They were great for hole shot and did not hurt my top end at all. If your 90 is carberated, I would think an EFI motor would be an improvement. Either way, the ProToller trim tabs will help hole shot a bunch and don't cost much. They also worked OK in trolling application but I found them a little hard to deploy. If you have wave wackers, no way could you deploy them. Also prop had a lot to do with set-up. I tried Black max and about 3 SS props without success. I then went to a 4 blade Merc alluminum prop that was great. Hope this helps you.
Ches.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Wallhanger

While the Honda 90 has always been respected as a quiet and reliable engine, it is heavy and has never been known for it's performance.
BY contrast, the new Mercury 4 strokes are quicker and considerably lighter than your Honda.

Also, the Lund Pro Guide hulls tend to run better, performance -wise than the old Explorers.
The 1875 Pro Guide, especially. It is wider at the chines and surprisingly fast for a big boat with a 90 hp

Test Results from Lund: https://www.lundboats.com/boat-performance-specs/

The 1775 Pro Guide (17'9") with a 90 Merc tests out at 36-40 MPH, depending on load and conditions.
The 1875 Pro Guide (18'9") with a 90 Merc. tests out at with the same speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the replies. I do have wave wackers so deploying would be a problem. I'll also look into a few different props. I started looking into 4 blade aluminum props but didn't want to drop any more pitch since the engine is running with a 15" pitch already (and rpms are right on). Being a tiller guy, I don't need to run 45+, just don't want to run wot all the time to cruise at 30. Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Keeper

Tburt,

Just to confirm your datapoint, I have a 2003 Explorer 1800 tiller with a 2003 Honda 90. Although I don’t have a tach to verify engine speed, I get about 31 mph from my rig at wide open with my normal load of a couple of guys and stuff. Same prop you have.

I think my Explorer is wider and a little lighter than your PRo-V.

I really like this Honda, but it doesn’t seem to have the snap my Evinrude E-Tecs do. I’ve read elsewhere that the newer fuel injected and variable valve timing (V-TEC) Honda BF90’s are quite a bit hotter than the version you and I have. The valve timing changes at higher RPM to provide better breathing and more useable power. The effects are noticeable in other Honda products so I suspect it could make a difference in a boat application.

In case you want to stick with the same Lund/Honda motif...

Steve
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Keeper

I have a 2018 Alumacraft Competitor 185 tiller with a 2018 Yamaha F90. I can hit 35 MPH @ 5900 RPM with just myself (around 33 with 2nd passenger). 15" pitch aluminum Yamaha prop (great hole shot).
Old 08-19-2018, 11:21 PM
Keeper

Protrollers are on backorder. I placed my order two weeks ago and still am waiting for shipment notification. Something about the actual upper mount not available. Sure didn't waste time charging my card though

If you want to cruise at 30 mph and not be working, you're going to need to step up to the 115/125 hp class motor
Old 08-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Slot Fish

My 90 Mercury pushes my 21' tiller at 36-37mph WOT. Holeshot is great as well.
Garmin 93sv
Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

The simple answer to performance is power.

So, if you want some snap with your tiller, put on a 150hp or a 175hp engine that has power steering for the tiller. Of course, you need to put it on a boat that is rated for that size motor.

More hp equals more speed.

Be safe
Old 08-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The simple answer to performance is power.

So, if you want some snap with your tiller, put on a 150hp or a 175hp engine that has power steering for the tiller. Of course, you need to put it on a boat that is rated for that size motor.

More hp equals more speed.

Be safe
175 on an 18' tiller, that should do it.

So REW, based on your math, would less hp equal less speed?
Garmin 93sv