Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
YouTube TV Price Increase - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Default YouTube TV Price Increase

I just received an email that my YouTube TV subscription is increasing to $65 / month from $50 July 30. That is a 30% increase! The justification from Google is content material costs are going up and YouTube TV is adding more channels. All the new additions to the lineup are channels I don't have any interest in. Basically the reason that drove me away from Comcast high programming prices and unnecessary content will now move me away from YouTube TV. It appears all these video service providers must need the economics of vast bundles and higher sub prices to survive. The ala carte access will have to come from content owners themselves as they sell their service individually.

Anyway it's too bad as the user experience on the TV devices control, DVR, picture quality are all best in class in my experience. The guide has room for improvement but it is okay. Also having the same content available on my mobile devices and desktop/notebook computers are a nice to have.

Oh well YouTube TV has no contract and one can cancel anytime so moving on should be painless. Time to give SlingTV a try after next month.

Any SlingTV users out there that care to comment? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Keeper

I just got rid of my Comcast/Ixfinity cable to save money. While I am still saving money, I think I am going to purchase a good Winegard Antenna for the free stuff I can get. Will re-evaluate my You Tube, Hulu, and Netflix usage and just use one.
Seems the cost of everything is going up.
dvl2700

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Old 06-30-2020, 08:51 PM
Keeper

Just canceled YouTube tv today when I got that email. Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 04:47 AM
Wallhanger

I have youtube tv as well. It has always been my suspicion that when streaming gets popular enough the prices will be right up there with satellite and cable.

I had sling for a while but you don't get local channels so I would miss football & racing. I can't really get anything with an antenna where I live.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

This is a timely thread. I was planning to cancel my satellite service this week.

What kind / brand / style of over the air antennas are you guys using?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2020, 06:37 AM
Wallhanger

The trouble with an antenna is that you miss so many of the sports channels (as if there is anything on now). I need BTN, Fox Sports Wisconsin, and several others that are simply not "broadcast channels". I cut the cable several months ago. I started with Hulu Live. It was fine but I was lured away by YouTubeTV. Both provided all the channels I wanted including the sports channels and the local live channels. Both saved me a bunch of money. I think when I changed to YouTubeTV from Hulu it saved me about $5.00 a month. With the price increase it will cost about $5.00 more per month. With no contracts changing is easy -- but learning a new system is a pain in the butt. At least I'm spending less then I did when I had cable and I'm just as happy with the system.
As for the difference between Hulu and YouTubeTV they both work just fine. There are little things about each I'd like to change, but both work well assuming you have strong internet.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Man View Post
I have this RCA directional yagi style antenna mounted inside my attic. This works okay for me as the distance to the TV station transmitter is around 30 miles and my attic is well above grade.

https://www.rcaantennas.net/outdoor/?sku=ANT751R
Old 07-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Hulu had a significant increase about 6 months ago too. I suspect that as the prices go up on these established streaming services there'll be new providers. The nice thing is there's no infrastructure, not even any proprietary hardware. It's got to be way easier than starting a cable or satellite service.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Man View Post
This is a timely thread. I was planning to cancel my satellite service this week.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I have 2 roof top antennas on one mast then combined together with a splitter then run a single coaxial cable into the house where it's split 5 times and then go to 2 different TiVo units. Once purchase NO MONTHLY fees EVER ! ! !

I get OVER 40 channels and TiVo records all kinds of things when we are busy, not home or sleeping.........I NEVER watch commercials. During football season I have 2 games going on at the same time so I freeze one when a commercial comes on and go to the other tuner/game......watch that until a commercial comes on and freeze that and go back to the first tuner/game........you can do this all day long without watch the endless commercials.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra

Last edited by Bobby Winds; 07-01-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Wallhanger

it almost seems the chance to cut the cable has come and gone. you need to have so many steaming services just to get what you had and want the cost is now actually more than cable.