Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Chicago Marathon won in a tad over 2 hours - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM
Wallhanger

Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 03:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
That was a set-up to break the record. Scheduled in a 9 day window to pick optimal weather, he had dozens of support runners rotating in to block the wind, course was set as flat and straight as possible etc.

It will not be accepted as a new record for a marathon.
True. He said before he tried it that it wouldn't be. They even called an exhibition. He did it to show it was possible, that the supposedly impossible could be achieved when people work together.

Was the course designed to be as fast as possible, flat and with rounded turns? Yes. So is the Berlin course where the current record was set by him. Chicago is also quite flat and it was moved to October to get better weather and improve times. Of the 10 fastest marathons run, 7 are in Berlin, 2 in London and 1 in Dubai. The Boston marathon isn't even eligible for records because of the course layout. But so what? This wasn't an attempt to set a record. It was an attempt to prove it could be done and gain some publicity for Kipchoge's views and the sponsors products. And it's still an amazing achievement.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Wallhanger

Pop always told me there were two kinds of people in this world....There's those that run....

And there's those that Stay and Fight.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
Pop always told me there were two kinds of people in this world....There's those that run....

And there's those that Stay and Fight.
Reminds of a true story. Two guys get into a heated argument at the local bar in my hometown. Outside they go and one guy starts running and being chased by the other. Suddenly the chaser yells stop so I can kick your azz. The runner stops, and proceeds to knock the crap out of the guy doing the chasing.

Moral of the story is sometimes you think you want something and find out you really didn’t want it after all. Or, don’t let your mouth overload your azz.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Minnow

Hit the treadmill at the y and after 10 minutes cranked it up to 71/2 minute miles. After 2 minutes I was fading big time. I’m over 70, but it was a real eye opener on what that marathon pace was; impossible!! What a record!
Old 10-21-2019, 04:32 AM
Wallhanger

I saw they were also wearing a new type show built to improve times. Don’t have details
Old 10-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Wallhanger

I cannot imagine running that fast for that long. Nearly three decades ago, my childhood friend ran a mile in 3:49 and over that same race included the 1500m at 3:33. When I use the run the quarter-mile and shorter sprints, I could not even feel my legs coming out of the third turn, lol.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 10-22-2019, 12:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
I cannot imagine running that fast for that long. Nearly three decades ago, my childhood friend ran a mile in 3:49 and over that same race included the 1500m at 3:33. When I use the run the quarter-mile and shorter sprints, I could not even feel my legs coming out of the third turn, lol.
Who was your friend? Those are world class times!!!
Old 10-22-2019, 06:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
Who was your friend? Those are world class times!!!
He is Joe Falcon. Those times are from his win in the 1990 Oslo Dream Mile. He is a multi-NCAA champion. He had a great kick. He is short for a distance runner at 5'6". Our parents still live across the street from each other.

Oslo Dream Mile

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...28A5&FORM=VIRE

However, one of my favorite of his runs, was his kick in this 5000m race. 54 seconds on his final lap.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DD53&FORM=VIRE
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor

Last edited by Bugler; 10-22-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:50 PM
Wallhanger

Well, I can put away 2 dozen of potatoes pierogis in under 2 min. Pretty sure at some point it will become olympic event. And these are not even my favorite flavor.