Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cold Weather and Electric Motors - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Keeper

Default Cold Weather and Electric Motors

Reading the thread on cold weather and fishfinders.
What about our high end MK and MG trolling motors?
Will they be OK in northern winter weather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

MinnKotas will be ok cuz they're made in Minnesota but who knows about those other ones? I think they're made by Sconnies.

Seriously, they're electric motors that are waterproofed. If the shaft seal is bad, water will leak in and freezing and thawing will ruin them. Pull the prop and make sure there's no line wrapped around the shaft and the seal isn't damaged. That's the major problem. I used to have a transom mount that I'd pull off in the fall and turn it upside down to see if any water ran out the head. I don't bother with that any more.

Lots of people fish in cold weather until ice-up, and some fish the Mississippi here in Minnesota in well-below-freezing weather. Haven't heard of any epidemic of ruined trolling motors, have you? Nope. Not me either.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

If water leaks in there will be damage not caused by freezing and thawing.

As far as the question about "high end" trolling motors; I assume you are asking/concerned about the electronics in these units more than the motor itself.

I'd not be too concerned because, all the vehicles on the road today use much the same electrical components. These vehicles sit out all night/day in the cold and are expected to fire right up and operate without fail.

The display screen on a GPS or sonar unit, is the component which is under the most stress due to cold operating conditions. I've seen display screens in cars not perform well in extreme cold conditions as well. It would be advisable to keep the remote for your trolling motor in a warm place, due the nature of the display screen on the remote.

Last edited by Huntindave; 11-03-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default leaky Terrova

My experience with Terrova that was new when I bought the boat in 2013 is moisture in the motor each of last 3 winters. I use my boat throughout the winter. Sometimes the temps are a low as zero when going to the lake in winter and water temps are low to mid 40's. The authorized Minnkota repair guy here believes it is due to the frozen motor being dunked into warmer water. After the first leak he said he pulls a screw to see if there is moisture on it an sure enough there was the second winter. In Feb this year I did the same test and more moisture.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ulterra

You Ulterra users, be careful when operating yours in below freezing temps.

I just had a buddy up in Canada that had major issues with his freezing up and not deploying. He had to remove it and use his kicker for a few days as his broke down on him.
NPAA #950
Fish On!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

My Ulterra is in Florida but thats good to know.

I have broken (very thin) ice with my minnkotas over the years. Never had an issue with cold weather and I have fished many times in freezing temps. One terrova and many older models over the years, all minnkota both bow and transom mounted. If they aren't leaking(as mentioned above) I have had good luck with them in the cold.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

I used to break ice with my old minn kota maxxum all the time. No issues.