Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dry Run a motor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Wallhanger

Default Dry Run a motor

Pulled the boat out the other day and the boat ahead of me turned the motor over a couple of times in the parking lot to drain the water pump i guess? I can't see this as being a good thing....When I press the start on my etec the injectors spray into the cylinders and with no combustion that gas will be in the cylinders all winter (or at least till the next time the motor is used) Am i missing something

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 11-28-2019, 04:54 PM
Minnow

I didn’t do it last year during winter and had freezing issues both times I went out. This year I plan on doing it. I actually did it the last time I was out. So I should be dry and ready to go this February.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Outboards are desighned to drain just tip the motor up and down completely a few times and should be good to go. When unloading your boat once you back into the water it only takes a few minutes for any ice that MAY be left in the water pump to melt If worried pull the kill switch and just use the starter and turn the motor over a few times. The very little fuel and oil that may be injected into the cylinder is of no concern..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooltwotool View Post
I didn’t do it last year during winter and had freezing issues both times I went out. This year I plan on doing it. I actually did it the last time I was out. So I should be dry and ready to go this February.
Did you lower the motor to complete vertical? I fish 12 mos a year here in eastern Washington and NEVER run the motor dry and have never had an issue. This weekend will be a good example, the overnight lows will be 18 deg and about 30 when I pull out @ dark.

I've always thought it is a foolish thing to do.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Minnow

I just started doing it this year. After freezing up last year I was worried. I replaced my impeller this spring thinking maybe it had been damaged during the winter months. The old impeller was in mint condition. Someone else had commented on just letting it drain naturally. After reading the comments that’s what I’ll do.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Keeper

I took my propeller off (as someone suggested) and no water came out. Tilted up and down a few times. Quite a bit dribbled out. I am confident it is water free now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Any time I am in or near to freezing temperature, I will take the boat out of the water and in the parking lot tilt the motor down while getting everything tied down. Then, just before leaving the parking lot, I will hit the key and spin the motor over a half dozen times to insure that there is 0 water in the water pump and or the lower unit.

Then, I tilt the motor up for highway transport and enjoy the trip home knowing that there is no water left in the motor to freeze and potentially damage the motor.

Be safe
Old 11-29-2019, 04:50 AM
Wallhanger

And always store motor down, if at all possible.
Have a great day. Jim
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaotter View Post
And always store motor down, if at all possible.

Have a great day. Jim
Drains completely of water, lets the oil drain to the bottom of the oil pan, and does something with the injectors (not sure what). Its in my merc manual to store with motor lowered, i asked the service tech why and he said something about those 3 things.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Keeper

Prior to becoming a wimp, I used to fish till Ice up and then hit the Mississippi as soon as the guys opened the landing of ice. I never dry started or turned over my motor. I saw lots of guys do it but not me. I did do as another poster said and trimmed it all the way down once launched and waited a while prior to starting. I store my boat outside for winter with motor trimmed down and prop off. Current motor requires prop to be removed to drain fluid so I just leave it off till spring.