Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Knot for tying braid to monofilament - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-19-2020, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default Knot for tying braid to monofilament

Greetings,

I recently purchased a Shimano Tekota casting reel for an upcoming fishing trip. I am waiting for delivery of a five hundred yard spool of Spiderwire braid rated at 100 pound breaking strength. I plan to first install some twenty pound monofilament on the reel, and then connect to the braid with a back-to-back (double) uni-knot.

Is there a better knot to use when connecting relatively heavy monofilament and braid fishing lines of similar diameter?

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 07:16 AM
Keeper

Born,

I use the FG knot. It is much smaller than the uni. Therefore it goes through the guides much smoother, preventing chaffing from the knot catching on the guides. I lost a few heavier rigs using the uni. There are several videos on how to tie the knot. Some methods are easier than others. Later today I will try to link the method I use.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Wallhanger

I have the animated fishing knot app on my iPhone. It does an excellent job of using animation to display a multitude of knots, including the fg knot, which I also use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

https://www.animatedknots.com/fishing-knots
Old 01-19-2020, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

I recently purchased a Shimano Tekota casting reel for an upcoming fishing trip. I am waiting for delivery of a five hundred yard spool of Spiderwire braid rated at 100 pound breaking strength. I plan to first install some twenty pound monofilament on the reel, and then connect to the braid with a back-to-back (double) uni-knot.

Is there a better knot to use when connecting relatively heavy monofilament and braid fishing lines of similar diameter?

IMO the knot from your mono backing to the braid, size is not critical because you will rarely if ever get there. What size line will you use for your leader?
Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 AM
Wallhanger

Uni to uni. Seven turns in the braid. Five turns in the mono depending on diameter
Old 01-19-2020, 10:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

In this case, I am only interested in a solid knot to tie my Spiderwire braid to the monofilament backing on the casting reel. I will be fishing for halibut this summer (first time) in about 300 fow. I understand from my buddies that they do not use a leader and tie the braid directly to the lure.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Wallhanger

I use a back to back uni knot for both attaching to backing andif Iam puttin mono or fluro leaders to braid. Have for years. Never had an issue. It also works great for ti-able wire to braid...
Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 AM
Wallhanger

Living in Florida now, standard to have a fairly heavy flouro leader attached to braid main line. Alberto knot is very strong and the shape allows it to go through the guides easily when casting. in your case, casting won't matter, but the knot is still great for attaching 2 dissimilar lines.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:12 AM
Keeper

Better I don't know, but I've been using the Crazy Alberto knot on my braided to flouro connections. Easy to tie for me.