Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

With the recent threads about trailer tire problems, I've been thinking about adding one of these TPMS systems to my trailer. They make sense to me, since my thoughts are before most tires blow-out and shred, the pressure and/or internal temperature has probably changed somewhat from normal, so any kind of warning system may be an advantage in catching the problem before the damage occurs. This is a system offered by TireRack.com http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=55 which uses sensors inside the tires, so the argument about boat trailer tire submersion should be moot.
Any opinions?
HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

For $180. plus installation in the tires I'll just use a gauge two or three times a year.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

you are asking for trouble if all you check your pressure is 2-3 times a year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jig View Post
For $180. plus installation in the tires I'll just use a gauge two or three times a year.
the point I was trying to make is if you start loosing pressure during a trip, possibly catching it before the tire destroys itself (and the fender, lights, etc) would be a good thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
BassBuster UL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
the point I was trying to make is if you start loosing pressure during a trip, possibly catching it before the tire destroys itself (and the fender, lights, etc) would be a good thing.
I would think that this would be a good deal if you trailer a lot. If you get one let us know how it works out.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 AM
BassBuster UL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBuster UL View Post
I would think that this would be a good deal if you trailer a lot. If you get one let us know how it works out.
A lot of the new cars come with TPMS.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Keeper

Default sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
With the recent threads about trailer tire problems, I've been thinking about adding one of these TPMS systems to my trailer. They make sense to me, since my thoughts are before most tires blow-out and shred, the pressure and/or internal temperature has probably changed somewhat from normal, so any kind of warning system may be an advantage in catching the problem before the damage occurs. This is a system offered by TireRack.com http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=55 which uses sensors inside the tires, so the argument about boat trailer tire submersion should be moot.
Any opinions?
HRG
I like the idea. so you have to dismount your tires and have them installed and rebalanced correct. I put on 4000 to 5000 mile each year on my boat trailer this might be a good idea please post what you find out if you install them.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:29 PM

they are really only a bandaid. visually check your tires before every trip, again while filling up and check your bearings for heat with a touch of your hand. a tire coming apart is USUALLY when the belts seperate or a side wall blows. the monitor will only give you seconds notice if that. they don't alarm at 10 psi below what you have them set at but at 6 psi or below when it's a problem long before you starting trailering. IMHO. if the belts are about to seperate, the tire will generally start to bounce ALOT before it blows. while trailering, i keep an eye on mine (mirrors slanted so i can). that saved me before as i was able to pull off at a truck stop and replace the tire. luckly a good friend was along with his ride as the jack i've been carrying for years wasn't able to do the job i though it could when the time came. i now carry a bottle jack just for the boat. that's another story
Old 09-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I agree 100% with Ebi

Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchjerker View Post
I agree 100% with Ebi

Me 2! They generally don't lose pressure(leak) and blow, they burst from sidewall seperation and belt seperation...NO WARNING.

Since we're on the subject...We had a 07 car with tpms, 2 sensor replacements under warranty and another out of warranty(not cheap)...we sold that car and replaced it with something WITHOUT tpms and all the other worthless crap(electronics/monitoring systems) that breaks down and cost money.

BIRDDOG