Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul Ear Falls GPS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Minnow

Default Lac Seul Ear Falls GPS

I am in the market for a new depth finder. I also have a hand help GPS that I purchased in 1999. Think its time to upgrade!!

Can someone provide a recommendation on what would work well on Lac Seul? I am not an expert on electronics so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default Gps

I'm a map guy, but have GPS. Lac Seul is huge but i believe the maps most camp site provide are easy to use and navigate. I assume you'll be driving up through Vermillion??? If so, stop at the gas station/market on the corner and buy the NW section of Lac Seul. The map the gas station has for sale is the best map I've seen for Lac Seul.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Keeper

lowrance h20 and get a navionics lake of the woods 2 chip. will show most hazards and is a very good map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Minnow

Default Handheld GPS

Not a bad idea to replace your old handheld before it craps out. Mine died last year 15 minutes into our trip, yada yada yada; I bought my first lower unit.

I went with the Garmin 76CSX at walmart dot com for under $300. I also added the map chip from Garmin for another $100.

It's awesome how far these things have come in the last decade. The color screen is nice, it floats and adding a map chip makes a world of difference. With the map chip rocks and reefs are marked and you also have access to depths etc. I haven't had a chance to use it out on the lake yet, but I did a lot of research and feel like I made a good choice. There is an electronics message board on this site that I found helpful.

Good Luck,
Scott.

Last edited by worthsr; 04-27-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Slot Fish

Default Portable

Before I started taking my own boat I took the X-15 I had at the time and mounted it on an ice fishing "Blue Box". I also bought the Navionics card for Lac Seul. I made a suction cup mount for the transducer. It worked out great. I had a high quality depth finder with GPS and mapping.

With the Lowrance HDS units they have a built in GPS puck so it's even easier to make it portable.

I think most of the camp boats have electric start so just connect to that for power and you don't have to worry about a battery.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

A couple years ago I bought a Garmin Colorado 300 and the downloadable Lac Seul map from Trakmaps. The garmin works well and the map was easy to install and unlock.

Garmin: $250.00
Lac Seul Map: $79.00.
4 2700Mah AA Nimh rechargeable batteries: $30.00

Being able to find your way back: PRICELESS

One down side to Garmin Colorado is that it eats 2 standard AA batteries in a matter of a couple hrs. Tried the ultra cell and lithium type and it lasts about 4-8 hrs but I just couldnt stand chucking that many batteries in the garbage. The best I have found are 2700Mah AA NiMH type batteries. This was the only type of battery that I could get close to the 15 hr run time that Garmin states on the specs page for the Colorado.

Happy fishing!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Minnow

I have a Garmin Map76CSX and purchased a map of the Northwest section of Lac Suel from Trackmaps. I also took with me a paper version of the NW section of the lake...the same one mentioned above that can be found at area shops.

Here is a link to Trackmaps:

http://www.trakmaps.com/liste_produits.php

I found my gps to be a LOT of help especially after the first day. Since you don't know the lake and you don't know what the lake level is like in relation to shoals, you shouldn't rely too heavily on the depths shown on any map. My recommendation would be to use the map AND the GPS but on that first day out pay attention to your depth finder and go slow. Once you've made a route for yourself thru Bay of Islands toward South Bay and or toward McKenzie or wherever you plan to fish you'll be able to use your GPS to navigate. You'll get a feel for how accurate the depths on the gps and map are after paying attention and using your depth finder and then you will be more confident.

Last edited by archer66; 06-05-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Minnow

You might want to look into a locator with GPS that can take both Lakemaster or Navionics chips. Navionics Hotmaps Premium Canada chip
has Lac Suel on it and can come in very handy to navigate your way around. It does have depth chart on it but comes from their Ministry of Natural Resource map. It does show a lot of hazards that exist but does not show everything. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.
P.S. You are in for a real treat fishing Lac Suel, cause you are going to be spoiled fishing there.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 AM

I'm not into electonics either but have found the Lowarnce H20 (colcr if you want to spend the $) and navionics map to be a great help on Lac Seul. I only use my GPS a couple times a year when we go up north so didn't want to invest a bundle. You can find the H20 on e-bay for for well under @200 in black and white and can have color for another $100. The Canada map will give you most of the lakes in Ontario.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
mdesl

I also have the Garmin Map76CSX with TrakMaps Marine vesion for NorthWest Ontario (44 lakes). It works quite well on Lac Seul and Big V where I fish, although not all hazards are marked. Two double A batteries will last several full days if it is not too cold. I have all the lakes in the TrakMaps program on my computer and download only the mapsets of the lakes I require for a trip with my previous waypoints and tracks. I then add more as I find new "hotspots" and save back to the computer after the trip where I can edit waypopint names etc. Great system for my needs.

Tags
gps , lac seul