Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What tackle would you buy with only $150 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-30-2021, 12:44 PM
CWFishing

Default What tackle would you buy with only $150

What/how much can a new angler buy for $150?

I look forward to mostly fishing on the Wisconsin River and small lakes around Central Wisconsin. I plan to target multiple species but preferably walleye. I have all of the basics (Rod/Reel/Line). Just wondering what I should look for when spending with my cash. I have fished for walleye with jigs and live bait in Canada but have never fished locally but I'm looking to expand my tactics.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Buy some VMC moon eye jigs in different weights, slow death rigs and a few Northland spinners. Crank baits; a few Rapala husky jerks & a few Berkley flicker shads.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Do you have a line counter reel?
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2021, 08:20 AM
Keeper

get a bunch of swimbaits in various sizes and jigheads in a few sizes too. will catch you pretty much anything that swims, and walleyes destroy them. i would also grab a few flicker shads, they dont cast all the well but they catch fish for sure.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWFishing View Post
What/how much can a new angler buy for $150?

I look forward to mostly fishing on the Wisconsin River and small lakes around Central Wisconsin. I plan to target multiple species but preferably walleye. I have all of the basics (Rod/Reel/Line). Just wondering what I should look for when spending with my cash. I have fished for walleye with jigs and live bait in Canada but have never fished locally but I'm looking to expand my tactics.
Thanks
Jigs and an assortment of plastics. All you will ever need for walleye. Get some paddle tails and some jerk style plastics. You can snap jig em or pull it like a crank bait. In spring you can just tip the jig with crawlers or minnows. Honestly I have thousands of dollars of tackle and these two out perform most everything. Also add a slip bobber rig in there.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:44 PM
Keeper

Shore fishing or boat fishing? A lot of tackle will overlap but there are a few things that I wouldn't buy if I was only fishing from one or the other.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscowalleye View Post
Jigs and an assortment of plastics. All you will ever need for walleye. Get some paddle tails and some jerk style plastics. You can snap jig em or pull it like a crank bait. In spring you can just tip the jig with crawlers or minnows. Honestly I have thousands of dollars of tackle and these two out perform most everything. Also add a slip bobber rig in there.
I 2nd this. I probably have 30 crank baits I've never even used. I keep saying I'll probably get into trolling, since I'm an hour from GB or Winnebago, but it's sooooo boring. Almost as bad as staring at a bobber to me, but I realize others love doing both. I love pitching and vertical jigging.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
I 2nd this. I probably have 30 crank baits I've never even used. I keep saying I'll probably get into trolling, since I'm an hour from GB or Winnebago, but it's sooooo boring. Almost as bad as staring at a bobber to me, but I realize others love doing both. I love pitching and vertical jigging.
I'm with you with respect to trolling and bobber fishing. However, I do love to pull a spinner rig to find them and zero on on the depth, then jig 'em up. I suggest you add a few spinner rigs to your repertoire. Maybe a few #3 Colorado blades in various colors and my favorite size #3.5 in a willow blade in natural colors. Northland Tackle has some nice color choices.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:46 PM
FishingCW

Thank you for all the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliph View Post
Do you have a line counter reel?
No, I have heard of it but never looked into it's application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerHornen View Post
Shore fishing or boat fishing? A lot of tackle will overlap but there are a few things that I wouldn't buy if I was only fishing from one or the other.
Boat fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
I'm with you with respect to trolling and bobber fishing. However, I do love to pull a spinner rig to find them and zero on on the depth, then jig 'em up. I suggest you add a few spinner rigs to your repertoire. Maybe a few #3 Colorado blades in various colors and my favorite size #3.5 in a willow blade in natural colors. Northland Tackle has some nice color choices.
I have done some research on spinner rigs and from my understanding, you can make homemade rigs? Is this cost effective even on a small scale (25-50 rigs)? How would you go about making them homemade (leader material, hooks, beads)?
Old 04-03-2021, 05:56 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscowalleye View Post
This right here. I'm in the same boat. I have tons of cranks, spinners, rigs, etc. that I MIGHT use, but I always seem to revert back to a jig and a plastic or jig and live bait.