Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Know Wonder BP Has Billions in Profits - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Tracy Marrow

Default Know Wonder BP Has Billions in Profits

I checked The balance on my checking account the other day. It was off a couple hundred bucks. I've been off by 20 or 30 bucks before, but never this much. I checked my statements for the last couple months, and quickly found out why. Eight of the times I purchased gas at BP, it rung up the purchase twice. For example, my statement said that I used my debit card at BP, gave the address of the store, and the time of the purchase. It would show the purchase twice, and debit my account the amount two times. I called the bank and said I found a discrepancy with my account. He asked a few questions, and I said it was a gas station. He then said 'let me guess, is it BP? I asked how he knew this, and he said about half of the people calling to contest debit purchases were purchases from BP stations. I don't know if it's a local thing, but if you frequent BP stations, check your statements regularly.

Last edited by Juls; 02-09-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Slot Fish

Default BP

Definitely a local thing. Happened up my way a few years ago with Esso. Unscrupulous station attendant decided he needed more cash & stung at least a hundred people before he got caught. Got free room & board from it, though, courtesy of the courts.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Tracy Marrow

Doesn't seem to fit what happened here. Payment was doubled up on different occasions, and at different times of the day. Not to mention that I paid at the pump with the card swiper.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I use BP all the time

We check our checking account every day. its so easy to do online. With so many scams out there we keep an eagle eye on our account all the time.

Never happened to me. We would know right away if it did.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Wallhanger

I suspect it is the station, not BP. No way would BP be able to orchestrate this type of fraud nationwide and get away with it. Might go back to the station and ask to see the manager to find out what is wrong.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Keeper

Default Its the station ---

My sister was scammed like this in California. She put in $30 worth of gas (prob only 5 gallons in CA ); her CC company called within the hour. They said her card was charged $30 then another $75 right afterword.

Visa cancelled the second charge and told her they would investigate further. They think the clerk was making the second charge then pocketing cash from the register, or the station owner was making fradulent charges.

She went ahead and canceled the card completely (since the clerk had her #) and Visa issued a new card.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Wallhanger

That happened to me at our local Flyn J truck stop, I called them on it and they stoned walled me real fast. I tried to use that credit card there a couple of month later and it was denied. That was the last time I ever set foot there again.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Keeper

http://www.creditcardassist.com/blog...dholders-2781/.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Marrow View Post
Doesn't seem to fit what happened here. Payment was doubled up on different occasions, and at different times of the day. Not to mention that I paid at the pump with the card swiper.
I'm not sure how they do it, but this can/does happen (fraud) when paying at the pump. From what I understand, each transaction is held in memory until the next transaction at the pump. Somehow an attendant inside could run another transaction through on your card. I was told that after completing a transaction at the pump that pushing the "Clear" button removes this from memory. Whether or not this helps, I don't really know but I do it after each transaction. This info was provided from a friend that works in the fraud division of a credit card company. Contact your debit/credit card issuer and dispute the charges, they will take care of you.

Last edited by PitchinJigs; 02-12-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchinJigs View Post
I'm not sure how they do it, but this can/does happen (fraud) when paying at the pump. From what I understand, each transaction is held in memory until the next transaction at the pump. Somehow an attendant inside could run another transaction through on your card. I was told that after completing a transaction at the pump that pushing the "Clear" button removes this from memory. Whether or not this helps, I don't really know but I do it after each transaction. This info was provided from a friend that works in the fraud division of a credit card company. Contact your debit/credit card issuer and dispute the charges, they will take care of you.
I run the cash register systems in one area of a major University - over 120 credit card devices and interfaces at various sites. What was referred to above *MIGHT* be barely possible at a off brand gas station using very ancient equipment. But even then, the banks they deal with should have shut them off a long time ago. Visa in particular, but in coordination with all the other card companies, has pushed through demands for Payment Card Industry standards (aka "PCI"). This is an extremely detailed set of "Thou Shalt's" that every merchant has to agree to to protect against fraud and data theft from credit cards. Look it up on the web and see what private industry is capable of forcing on businesses with no recourse, the next time you're feeling that the Gov'ment is too regulation happy. Not that what they ask is a bad thing - far from it, but boy is it strict on what is needed to take a credit card. If the merchant does not follow it, the card company WILL fine them, investigate, and if there is a pattern shut down their ability to ever take credit cards. Fines start at $10,000 and go up. And there is no appeal. My school estimates that their base fine would start at $1,000,000!!!!! So we do take compliance very, very seriously! It's enough of a threat to justify some full time jobs ensuring compliance (in addition to mine!)

A cashier double swiping? Yes, definately can happen - it is still one of the biggest holes in the card system, as is forging the size of a tip in a restaurant.
Doubled transactions from a self swipe reader? It is technology, so a glitch can happen. But these should be spot mistakes, not ongoing theft. Either way, your card company can find these when alerted, and reverse them for you. And yes, they WILL investigate.
The scariest current thing - "skinning" of card readers. A very thin face that is put over the card reader that has a second read head. It captures your card data at the same time as the real reader. Later, the scammer takes it off, and now has a list of hundreds of cards to use. These things are so realistic, the average person cannot tell that it has been installed. Sounds like movie stuff, but I've seen some for real - very scary....

Best defense - pay attention to your account/bill and question every unexplained transaction!

FYI - the above is why I always prefer to have a merchant swipe my checking account card as a Credit Card and not a Debit card. You have many more rights and recourses with a credit card to get your money back than you do with most debit cards.......