Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Joy of Banter - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-14-2021, 01:40 PM
Keeper

Default The Joy of Banter

One of my favorite parts of our trips is the burns, rips, banter that gets tossed around

We have known each other for many years - probably over 35 so it makes for good rips, old and new

Over the years we have come up with some good and bad ones - its become a great part of our trip

I am sure many others have good stories that have now turned into a well placed nick name or burn

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/the-joy-of-banter

Cheers

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2021, 03:00 PM
Wallhanger

still waiting for the "im just on thre trip to catch fish mand dont have time to banter"
from some of my fellow fun haters on the board
Old 10-14-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Been with pretty much the same groups of guys for nearly thirty years. We have grown old together and all remember everyone's missteps and remind each other every trip of past transgressions. Nothing and no one is sacred or spared. Thin skinned people don't last. Laughing and fellowship together is a big part of the trip and sometimes the fishing might just be just a bonus feature.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2021, 05:15 AM
Wallhanger

we have our family reunion on memorial day weekend. up until a couple of years ago, we had a guy's night Friday night before the weekend. it was a big part of our night to rag on each other. this one friend of mine that I grew up with and had been best friends ever since. but he knew a lot of funny things I had done. and he always started on me and all the other guys would smell the blood and jump in. but we all did that. if a guy was bleeding the rest of us jumped in like sharks. but I found a way to shut him up. I would tell the story of our fishing trip up the east fork on dale hollow one night. we were fishing for walleye when he caught a water dog about 18" long. he said he was going to cut the line. and jokingly I said no no don't cut the line save the jig we are almost out. (I had maybe 100 jigs in my tackle box) he thought for a minute then reaches up and grabs the water dog around the middle, it wraps its tail around his arm and starts making this horrible sound. he panics and starts flailing his arm and starts screaming like a little girl. the dog finally slings off breaking the line. about a minute later we hear it hit the water way downriver.

when I told this story on him I did the arm flailing and I screamed something like he did just one scream after the other about 10 times in succession and everybody. jumped on him with both feet. they ate him alive. but that was the last time he told anything about me.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:10 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
Been with pretty much the same groups of guys for nearly thirty years. We have grown old together and all remember everyone's missteps and remind each other every trip of past transgressions. Nothing and no one is sacred or spared. Thin skinned people don't last. Laughing and fellowship together is a big part of the trip and sometimes the fishing might just be just a bonus feature.

Pooch
Growing up together is a great expression - same with my group (well one guy is my brother so it really is true lol) - and agreed the experience is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
we have our family reunion on memorial day weekend. up until a couple of years ago, we had a guy's night Friday night before the weekend. it was a big part of our night to rag on each other. this one friend of mine that I grew up with and had been best friends ever since. but he knew a lot of funny things I had done. and he always started on me and all the other guys would smell the blood and jump in. but we all did that. if a guy was bleeding the rest of us jumped in like sharks. but I found a way to shut him up. I would tell the story of our fishing trip up the east fork on dale hollow one night. we were fishing for walleye when he caught a water dog about 18" long. he said he was going to cut the line. and jokingly I said no no don't cut the line save the jig we are almost out. (I had maybe 100 jigs in my tackle box) he thought for a minute then reaches up and grabs the water dog around the middle, it wraps its tail around his arm and starts making this horrible sound. he panics and starts flailing his arm and starts screaming like a little girl. the dog finally slings off breaking the line. about a minute later we hear it hit the water way downriver.

when I told this story on him I did the arm flailing and I screamed something like he did just one scream after the other about 10 times in succession and everybody. jumped on him with both feet. they ate him alive. but that was the last time he told anything about me.
Lol thats awesome - great deflect tactic there!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

Years ago the wife and I were by the backyard campfire and were were pretty toasted. She points towards town and says "look at the moon" which was actually the water tower. I must have pointed to 100 water towers since then and said "look at the moon".

Since 99.9% of my fishing is with her, she gets most of the crap. Speaking of which, there are several landmarks on places we've frequented that get a "crappy" nickname due to the fact that it seems she only gets about a two minute warning. A few examples are Sh!t Paper Point and Sh!t Ticket Bay on Eagle Lake, and Sh!t Panty Island on Turtle-Flambeau Flowage.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
Years ago the wife and I were by the backyard campfire and were were pretty toasted. She points towards town and says "look at the moon" which was actually the water tower. I must have pointed to 100 water towers since then and said "look at the moon".

Since 99.9% of my fishing is with her, she gets most of the crap. Speaking of which, there are several landmarks on places we've frequented that get a "crappy" nickname due to the fact that it seems she only gets about a two minute warning. A few examples are Sh!t Paper Point and Sh!t Ticket Bay on Eagle Lake, and Sh!t Panty Island on Turtle-Flambeau Flowage.
A great gift idea for your wife:

https://www.instaprivy.com/

Gerry
Old 10-16-2021, 04:51 AM
Wallhanger

growing up poor in the tn hills we didn't wear undershorts. after my stint in the marine corps, I opted out of wearing them for a few yrs. but it seemed when a group of friends would go deer hunting with me I always was rewarded with the bed by myself. we all took some kidding about that. I kidded them about not sleeping with me and they were always kidding me about no shorts. even when we were fishing in a boat I got the off color remarks about my choice not to wear them. but I finally gave in and started wearing them because it was getting very hard to have enough sleeping room to have a whole bed to myself. then later when we had a house full of small granddaughters staying over it was just the right thing to do. even though I had said as soon as my sons are gone I'm going to run through the house naked but we have never been alone. it's been a stray in trouble at home or someone without a home and pregnant that we took in. right now one of the sons of a woman that we took in and helped raise him is living with us because his parents are addicts and they split up. his dad moved in with an older sister from his dad's first wife. his mom kept a place for a while but her boyfriends didn't get along with him so my wife moved him in here. and my youngest son lives here.

my hunting and fishing trips with friends have been some of the greatest times of my life. it wasn't safe if someone knew something on you.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Great thread

As usual, Andrew, you hit a common nerve with most Canadian Shield fishermen. Our incidents are occasionally preserved in nicknames. Some examples are mine (he hooks himself- self explanatory) and Dunkin Bob and All In Ben (they have been in the drink).
Old 10-17-2021, 04:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post
As usual, Andrew, you hit a common nerve with most Canadian Shield fishermen. Our incidents are occasionally preserved in nicknames. Some examples are mine (he hooks himself- self explanatory) and Dunkin Bob and All In Ben (they have been in the drink).
I got my nickname from a fisherman in another boat. I don't know what you guys think about snagging king salmon. and frankly don't care much either. It's work but lots of fun when you hit a big 20+ # salmon in mid stroke and it takes off like a freight train. we were up at Manistee lake night fishing and to get a good spot you have to get on the water by mid afternoon. it fills up early with boats and latecomers are out of luck. but we were out there fishing and after a couple of hours, I got bored and started snagging. after about 3 jerks I hook into a huge fish. got it in and started fishing again. this time I'm almost back to the boat and hit another 25# fish. it makes 3 high jumps and lands in the boat. were just trying to stay clear of the fish with a treble hook in its tail. I made a couple more casts and was rewarded with another big fish. by this time I'm shot. but the guy in the next moat yells hey professor how are you getting those fish. of course, he knew because by now he was snagging. I said something then asked where he got the name at. he says professor 101 on how to catch salmon. we had a ball bantering back and forth. and a lot of crap went down that night but that's another story. anyway from then on my fishing buddies called me the professor.