Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Marine Band radio in tournaments 2020 and beyond - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 04-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Marine Band radio in tournaments 2020 and beyond

Hello,

I did a search, no recent posts on this. I have a marine band radio in my boat to comply with RCL Walleye Tournament regs in the year 2003.

Another contestant at that time at Missouri River, South Dakota, said "The only time I use my Marine band ever is to say "Thank You Sonny"

Fast forward to 2020, I have been out of tournaments. Maybe I will do some someday. Do I need that Marine band anymore?

Thank you.

Walleich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2020, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

Yes
Old 04-21-2020, 04:21 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with Mr Larson, every boat should have a VHF radio on it and it needs to be on and the owner should know how to use it. Years ago I shared a dock while fishing Lake Ontario for salmon, I said to my dock mate one day that I can never get him on the radio. He looked at me and said I only turn it on if i am in trouble!! With that mindset the only people he would ever talk to would be people in trouble. Brutal

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 07:40 PM
Keeper

My boat is a 2003. I just took out the marine band radio. Its for sale if anyone wants it. I doubt I could get 10 bucks. Its so nice not having the FN antenna where my right arm goes.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Keeper

If it's just to comply with the regs, you could probably just get a hand held unit, and comply. If you want a built in VHF that actually works, make sure to get a quick detach antenna and mount. Nobody wants an 8' antenna permanently on their boat all the time. With this type of antenna and mount, you can take it off when not in use, and put it in your rod box. I keep mine in a rod sock when in the rod box, to keep it protected.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

You know, I never thought much about VHF antenna placement and such until seeing the picture that my Ranger regional rep sent me this morning of my nearly completed 620FS Cup in rigging...

For some reason I thought the antenna would be mounted on the port side of the boat, but I reckon it doesn't really matter so long as there's no interference with other electronics installed in the console. Am I correct in assuming that's not generally an issue?

And can anyone tell me whether this antenna will be quick-detach or will just fold down for covering and storage? If it's the latter, will it be possible to relatively easily replace it with quick-detach later if I decide it's a bit of a nuisance as is? Ranger's website says it's a "Lowrance Link - 9 VHF radio / use w/ GPS chartplotter," no other information provided. (I was too dumb to ask about it when ordering; I'm afraid I'm still pretty ignorant with respect to a lot of things having to do with my new boat. I'm learning as fast as I can, though!) I get that the added safety of having it is worth it possibly being a bit of nuisance, in any event.

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat in production 3.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	319202  
Old 06-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Keeper

Jerry, if that antenna doesn't unscrew, you are really going to wish you knew better before having that installed. These are some of the things that come up with new boat owners, or in this case your first VHF radio. This is just part of owning a boat, especially with an owner that has never boated before. Study and research as much as you can, but second time around, you will always want something different than how you first had it. In my case I have probably had a dozen or more boats in my life time, and have really fine tuned it by now, but will honestly admit that I still forgot an addition to my last boat, and had to have it installed after, no real biggie, and all was fine after. Doesn't even bother my ego forgetting, stuff happens. In the case of the antenna, my dealer asked that I order it, and they would install it, as there was so many different ones. When I was dropping off all the parts that I wanted to be installed, after boat came in, we were going over the mounting location for everything I wanted mounted, and I showed the installer my antenna and mount, and he was just besides himself, as he had never seen a detachable antenna. Also the radio that I got fit right in a hole in the dash, so the install was really easy for him. They now stock the radio and antenna that I brought to them for all their installs. I got a Shakespeare 8' quick detach antenna and mount from the internet for apx $175. It just screws off when not used. They also make a high end one with a slightly better gain for $300+ that detaches. Thought we talked about this, but I guess not, as you surely would have remembered. You do not want an antenna permanently attached. If yours doesn't detach, it can be converted later, but won't be cheap, as you will need an antenna, mount, and new cable to radio. Antennas are fragile, so use a rod sock to protect, when you get one that comes off. Also I had mine mounted just in front of the windshield on the drivers side. Clears my bimini top and is out of the way. I like it there as when I am idling out to Lake Michigan, I have about a mile of no wake zone, and can screw it on while I am driving the boat. Haven't dropped it in yet.

Last edited by muskyed; 06-03-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyed View Post
... In the case of the antenna, my dealer asked that I order it, and they would install it, as there was so many different ones. When I was dropping off all the parts that I wanted to be installed, after boat came in, we were going over the mounting location for everything I wanted mounted, and I showed the installer my antenna and mount, and he was just besides himself, as he had never seen a detachable antenna. Also the radio that I got fit right in a hole in the dash, so the install was really easy for him. They now stock the radio and antenna that I brought to them for all their installs. I got a Shakespeare 8' quick detach antenna and mount from the internet for apx $175. It just screws off when not used. They also make a high end one with a slightly better gain for $300+ that detaches. Thought we talked about this, but I guess not, as you surely would have remembered...
Yeah, I don't recall anyone suggesting that I should make sure the VHF antenna is readily detachable - but there have been SO MANY details to attend to and I'm not nearly so sure as you that it didn't just slip past me, as my memory is far from the greatest. Well, I figured I'd have some such lessons coming; I just thought they'd wait until the boat was actually in my possession before they started! In any event you can bet that I won't forget your advice on this particular detail hereafter.

I plan to use the boat (heavily!) for a year, then bite the bullet and get done whatever changes I reasonably can that seem like they'd really matter to me, and live with the rest. Hopefully my wife will take it all in stride, as I intend to do!

Gerry
Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Keeper

You are probably right, you would remember if I mentioned it. I know I have suggested it to many people. I can guaranty their will be other things, always is. Sometimes you forget things, sometimes you screw up, and sometimes you just don't know, till you do know, it's that's what it is, and will most always work out in the end. Fortunately I don't have to hide anything from my wife, when I change my mind, or make a mistake, she just smiles, though she never forgets my screw ups, and will always remember them to remind me at an opportune time. Guess if your dealer doesn't know, I would call Ranger again, as you may be lucky, and it will detach. Don't think Lowrance makes antennas, so they probably use someone else's.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Yeah, I don't recall anyone suggesting that I should make sure the VHF antenna is readily detachable - but there have been SO MANY details to attend to and I'm not nearly so sure as you that it didn't just slip past me, as my memory is far from the greatest. Well, I figured I'd have some such lessons coming; I just thought they'd wait until the boat was actually in my possession before they started! In any event you can bet that I won't forget your advice on this particular detail hereafter.

I plan to use the boat (heavily!) for a year, then bite the bullet and get done whatever changes I reasonably can that seem like they'd really matter to me, and live with the rest. Hopefully my wife will take it all in stride, as I intend to do!

Gerry
I just installed on of the Quick Detach 8" Antenna's myself. It was actually quite easy especially since it was on the starboard side, the wire was a very short run and I could reach in to just grab it instead of having to fish it through a bunch of stuff. The quick detach is definitely a nice thing to have. Depending on the base they used, it may be a simple unscrew old and screw in new mount, run the wire and screw on the antenna.
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 9" console
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

Tags
band , marine , radio , tournaments , vhf