Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question: Passport Expires Soon - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Slot Fish

Default Question: Passport Expires Soon

Hi guys,

Question about crossing the border (International Falls / Fort Frances) with an expired passport....

I'm a U.S. citizen, and my passport expires in about 3 weeks....

Assuming that the border actually does reopen in time, my first Canadian fishing trip is scheduled for August 1-8.

I had planned to file my passport renewal paperwork back in March or April, but have been away from my hometown of Madison, WI ever since the COVID-19 quarantine hit.

So, I just made it back to Madison today, and stopped at the post office. Was looking to get an expedited passport renewal, but they told me that the earliest I can expect to have this processed is 10 to 12 weeks from now.

So, I won't even get the renewed passport in time for the August trip.

However, I called the U.S. customs office in International Falls, and apparently, if I show them my expired passport, along with proof of my renewal application (such as a photocopy of the paperwork and postal tracking numbers, etc), then I will apparently be able to cross back into the U.S. with my expired passport.

Is this correct?

I can't remember if I'm allowed to even keep my soon-to-be expired passport, or if I'm required to mail it in with the renewal application.

Can somebody give me some guidance here?

I think I'll probably be good to go, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

...And I don't think there's a way to expedite anything at this point.

Thanks in advance for any info!

John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Slot Fish

When I renewed my passport, I had to send my old one in (which they returned to me).

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Keeper

I have my old passports. Was not required to surrender them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Keeper

Default Expired Passport

They told you at the border that you would have to show your expired passport plus renewal documents. If you submit your renewal you have to send in the old passport with the check and photos and the new DS-82. You had better check to see if copies of the documents will suffice. Otherwise, you don't have a passport to show.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Slot Fish

Default Thanks for the replies

Yes,

It appears that in order to renew the passport, I have to send in the old, expiring passport. Therefore, I will obviously not have any passport in hand if and when I go.

However, it appears as if I can make color photocopies of the old passport prior to mailing it in for renewal, and if I include this with photocopies of the renewal application (again, photocopied prior to mailing it in), and provide proof of mailing (such as tracking numbers), I think I will be allowed back in to the USA.

I will also be bringing along a copy of my birth certificate.

After having just read the renewal application form (the DS-82), it appears that I have to send in the old (soon to be expired) passport along with the application for a new one.

So, hopefully photocopies of the old one, plus birth certificate and driver's license will suffice for returning to the USA.

If not, then it's going to be a very LONG fishing trip in Canada (and I suppose that's ok too) :-)

John
Old 06-02-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
I have my old passports. Was not required to surrender them
You have to send the old passport in with the application then they mail your old passport back to you with the new one. My newest old passport has holes spelling VOID punched in it.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:26 AM
Fishun4life

To enter Canada at any land border crossing, all you need is proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A birth certificate and government issued photo ID, like a drivers license.

Heading home the the USA over a land border port of entry, yes technically you need to provide a passport. However, I spoke directly with a US border agent in International Falls. He told me they would not deny a US citizen entry into the USA IF they can provide proof of citizenship and proof of identity. May take some more time to sort it out rather than with a passport, but you will get home.

You can also enter Canada and the US at the land crossing with an Enhanced Driver's License. Available at the following states Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington. You will not require to have your birth certificate if you have an EDL.

You can also use a NEXUS card or a FAST (Free and Secure Trade) card. to cross the border as a form of citizenship and ID

If flying into Canada, you must have a passport.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:39 AM
Wallhanger

Why dont they (whoever they is) just put a chip in all of us and scan it ????
Old 06-03-2020, 04:39 AM
Keeper

Default Expired passport

This is one of those situations where you hear these famous words "Pull ahead under the canopy and come inside".
Old 06-03-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

2 years ago we crossed twice at International Falls, my friends passport had expired in April. On our May trip no one said anything. In June the Canadian guy made a note of the fact his passport was expired and made the statement, "You could go to Baudette and maybe they won't catch it....Technically I don't have to let you in" He told us he would allow entry this time. Coming back the US side never said a word, either time.