Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Breaking off leader - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Minnow

Default Breaking off leader

I recently made the switch to power pro and berkley nanofil. I'm having an issue breaking off the leader right at the fluoro or mono leader when trying to get off of a snag. My usual setup is 8lb braid to a 5ft leader of 8lb fluoro. Maybe a quarter of the time the line will break right at the jig, the rest of the time it breaks at the leader knot. I've tried the double uni knot and alberto, with little difference between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallguy123 View Post
I recently made the switch to power pro and berkley nanofil. I'm having an issue breaking off the leader right at the fluoro or mono leader when trying to get off of a snag. My usual setup is 8lb braid to a 5ft leader of 8lb fluoro. Maybe a quarter of the time the line will break right at the jig, the rest of the time it breaks at the leader knot. I've tried the double uni knot and alberto, with little difference between the two.
I only tried nano once but I seem to remember a certain knot they recommended. Many new type lines are fussy or at least have a problem with certain knots. If there is a knot recommended either use it or get a different line. It did cast far but that is not the whole story. Bob
Old 06-02-2020, 02:49 PM
Keeper

What leader material are you using? Iíve have that problem with some less expensive flouro leaders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Keeper

Dump the leader and tie directly with a palamor knot.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

I had a similar problem when I first started using braided line and was using a double-uni knot to tie the braid to my fluorocarbon leader. I finally determined that I was not adequately securing each knot individually before pulling the two knots together. I haven't had any problem since correcting that issue. Another option might be to use a small barrel swivel instead of tying line-to-line knots.

Another potential issue could be the small diameter braid in 8# test could actually be cutting through your fluorocarbon leader line. I use 20# braid as it has the diameter of 6# mono. I generally use 8#, 10#, or 12# fluorocarbon leaders, depending on the species of fish I'm chasing.

Something to think about.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

As others have said, forget the leader and tie the braid directly to the jig or lure with a palamor knot and you will be good to go.

Take care
Old 06-02-2020, 11:26 PM
Wallhanger

Keep the leader and get rid of nanofil. I am not impressed with it at all. Iíve gone back to 10lb mono and am happy with the results. Never any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2020, 04:45 AM
Wallhanger

I guess it comes down to the fact that you want your jig knot to be a little less strong than your connecting knot.

Knot strength will vary depending on line used. I use an Albright connecting knot and improved clinch at the jig. With the lines I use, the break is at the jig knot almost every single time.

But your line may provide different results, and also, everyone doesn't tie a certain knot the same way.

An hour of your time experimenting should let you try several different knot combos.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 AM
Slot Fish

Dump it all and use straight Berkley Vanish.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

The knot is usually the weakest point of any line. Especially mono. Regardless of how careful and wetting the knot before snugging it, it creates heat and a weak spot. Anytime I have a line failure I can usually look at where the knot was and see the reason. There will be remnants of a tiny distortion on the broken end of the line. Looks like a "C" at the break.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."