Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Advice needed-- daughter going to college - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 11:18 AM
Slot Fish

GREAT idea to post an update, now 6 years from my initial message. Should have done this sooner.

Our daughter went off to college about 100 miles away, as planned, and she thrived. Worked throughout all 4.5 years, was in the marching band, and graduated with a degree in education and a very good GPA. She moved home for about 6 months while she student taught in her hometown, then followed her fiance to Seattle where he was working. She was quickly hired there as a teacher, and is now wrapping up her first year of elementary teaching. Wedding plans for her have been postponed a year due to travel issues with family, but they will be married next summer.

Her savings, summer jobs and working through each year covered all of her portion of the college expenses. Mom and Dad needed a very small loan to pay our portion of her final semester, but that was paid off in less than six months. She also bought a car from us (at blue book trade value), so she actually ended up 6 years later with a college degree, a paid for car, and no school debt . . .actually a bit of money in the bank. Could not be more proud of her and the person she has become.

We hunted together every year of her time in college, and most years did a trip to Ontario walleye camp as well. Lots of fishing near home. Her first purchase when she moved to WA was a Montana non resident fishing license so she could fish when she came home. When schools in WA closed earlier this spring, she came back to MT for a month and taught her classes online from here.

Certainly was an adjustment having her leave though, and actually the most difficult day emotionally was last summer when she moved out to WA to begin her job, That was the day it felt like she really left for good. She and her fiance both expect to move back to somewhere in MT fairly soon, which we will welcome. But she is an adult now, even though I still often think of her as my little girl. We talk almost daily for a few minutes, and things like snapchat are great for sedning pictures too.

Her younger brother is finishing his biology degree in 4 semesters, and has left home to work on fisheries field crews for both summers of college, but our plans to fish are endless! If even a fraction occur, I will be a busy guy.

Its a much quieter house without kids around, but there is still more than enough to do for work and home chores to keep both my wife and I busy. We walk the hills and creeks around home with our dog for close to two hours each night, and fall asleep exhausted but looking forward to tomorrow.

No doubt, I'm blessed.

Thanks for all the advice so many of you posted four years ago. Hopefully it will benefit others as much as it did for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Wallhanger

Pretty awesome seeing an update 6 years later!

My wife and I are expecting our first child, a daughter, in the fall. This thread just gets me thinking...
Old 06-01-2020, 03:40 PM
Slot Fish

Baitslinger, thanks for the update.
Obviously you and your wife did a tremendous job of raising a fine young lady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

I don't have son, or a daughter. But as a landlord in a college town, I rent to lots of your sons and daughters after they have completed their Freshman year.

Somewhat jokingly, I'll say you'll be doing well to teach your son's and daughters to clean their room and wash the dishes. It really is rare you know....

In all sincerity though, I've often been one of the first adults these young adults work with after their parents, and I am often impressed by my college age tenants as they get their first experience away from Mom and Dad, it's really fun to watch them grow up so much during that short 4 year time period.

Sound's like you've done well with your daughter, enjoy her growing up and most of all - time to make those hunting and fishing trips something you and your daughter put on your schedule each year as must do events, because honestly, nothing else matters. You both know it.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

It's always interesting to see kids evolve in the field of study they think they are going to study in college versus what they actually obtain upon graduation. My youngest high school-aged daughter and I were out fishing one day and she asked what first degree was in. She wanted to make a lot of money so that she can afford to do the other things that interest her in life.

I told her that my first degree was in Finance. While in college, she started working out with a group of muscle guys and realized how much it helped her self confidence. She decided that she wanted others to feel that way and wanted to start her own gym someday, as a side to a real job. The result, she graduated with honors and three different bachelor's degrees, Finance, Economics, and Corporate Fitness.

While going to college she was an intern for the Dept of Homeland Security and works there permanently now. Her side gig, she supervises all the personal fitness instructors at a gym, at 5:00am and during evenings and weekends.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 06-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Wallhanger

We were blessed with two sons that did well in school and had no college bills when they graduated. Both are doing very well and now we have 5 grandchildren so far. We just wish they lived closer.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-01-2020, 09:04 PM
Minnow

Would she consider the National Guard?
Great way to take care of most expensives.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:59 AM
MK cant log in

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad34 View Post
Pretty awesome seeing an update 6 years later!

My wife and I are expecting our first child, a daughter, in the fall. This thread just gets me thinking...

Enjoy it!!! (even when they make you crazy)

My little girl was just started walking around our yard asking "what's this", and "what's this", etc., seems like yesterday.

Today I was talking to her and she was asking about the ins-and-outs of refinancing her home just outside of Holland, MI.

And my little boy (and his wife) just had a little boy!

Both kids went to Purdue and both are doing great.

25 years in a blink of an eye.

Congrats and good luck on the birth of your first; there's nothing like it!!!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK cant log in View Post
Enjoy it!!! (even when they make you crazy)

My little girl was just started walking around our yard asking "what's this", and "what's this", etc., seems like yesterday.

Today I was talking to her and she was asking about the ins-and-outs of refinancing her home just outside of Holland, MI.

And my little boy (and his wife) just had a little boy!

Both kids went to Purdue and both are doing great.

25 years in a blink of an eye.

Congrats and good luck on the birth of your first; there's nothing like it!!!
Yes, it goes by so fast.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 06-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Slot Fish

My oldest daughter joined the army and loves it. After a couple years of dating married a non com she met at her base in NY. She’s been promoted several times, has plenty of free time and money. The army pays for college classes and now she has to make the decision whether she wants to make a career of it or finish her college (on the army’s dime mostly) and become a teacher. Overall it worked out very well for her and I personally think she’s better off now than she would have been just going straight to college. Everyone’s different of course.