Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
GM’s new turbocharged I-4 “truck motor” - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 AM
Wallhanger

It’s all fine and dandy I guess, but there is a lot of technology that goes into making that small motor perform. It will be expensive to repair. I have to admit, the idea absolutely intrigued me, but if the same hp, torque and economy can be achieved less expensively with less parts to fail, I’d be all over that. I would even rather have a little less economy than more parts to fail. Example being, active Fuel Management could go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman View Post
It’s all fine and dandy I guess, but there is a lot of technology that goes into making that small motor perform. It will be expensive to repair. I have to admit, the idea absolutely intrigued me, but if the same hp, torque and economy can be achieved less expensively with less parts to fail, I’d be all over that. I would even rather have a little less economy than more parts to fail. Example being, active Fuel Management could go away.
I think the secret might be to push automakers to provide full warranty coverage for longer timeframes, like 6 years/100K miles. If their bottom line starts getting affected by after-sales warranty costs, the design parameters would need to change to reduce them.

Right now, I've got a 2018 1.5L EB Escape with 25K miles at the dealer, getting a new short block. This repair should eat-up any profit they originally made on that vehicle.

HRG
Old 12-02-2019, 06:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
I think the secret might be to push automakers to provide full warranty coverage for longer timeframes, like 6 years/100K miles. If their bottom line starts getting affected by after-sales warranty costs, the design parameters would need to change to reduce them.

Right now, I've got a 2018 1.5L EB Escape with 25K miles at the dealer, getting a new short block. This repair should eat-up any profit they originally made on that vehicle.

HRG
I owned a V6 NA that blew a rod at 9k miles and I got a replacement car out of the resolution. Nothing is perfect. Ford has produced on the order of about 10 million turbocharged EcoBoost’s in the last 10 years and there isn’t a bad reliability track record. Semi Diesel engines are turbocharged and run a million miles demonstrating turbocharged engines with high internal pressures enjoy long duration. Plenty of examples prove reliability. The things that create complexity such as overhead cams, variable valve timing, added valves, fuel injection and computer controls are elements in most engine types now days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

HRg,
I agree completely on the use of a longer warranty.

However, a warranty needs to be much longer than 100,000 miles.

I would think that for a truck engine, 10 years and 300,000 miles would be a reasonable warranty for a motor in a truck.

With todays technology, it is pretty easy to get 500,000 miles out of an engine. No reason that the warranty should not be increased to reflect that improvement.

Take care
Old 12-02-2019, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post

What are you talking about this time?
Same issues we've repeatedly discussed here in the Egoboost threads. If your memory is that lax, you might want to seek medical attention.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post

What are you talking about this time?
Same issues we've repeatedly discussed here in the Egoboost threads. If your memory is that lax, you might want to seek medical attention.
I also am also curious what specific issues there are around the turbocharged design of the ecoboosts. Reading and talking to other folks the ecoboost owners seem happier than the NA guys most of the time. The motors nowadays have so much to them I don't feel turbo or non turbo plays into engine reliability one way or another.
I go by the numbers, if I was getting more hp and mileage from a v8 that's my winner, if the turbo is going to get me better mpg, more hp/torque and do so in a more usable power band, it feels like a no brainer as well.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

I think this is what Custom was referring to

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...ght=Ford+truck
Old 12-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns View Post
I also am also curious what specific issues there are around the turbocharged design of the ecoboosts. Reading and talking to other folks the ecoboost owners seem happier than the NA guys most of the time. The motors nowadays have so much to them I don't feel turbo or non turbo plays into engine reliability one way or another.
I go by the numbers, if I was getting more hp and mileage from a v8 that's my winner, if the turbo is going to get me better mpg, more hp/torque and do so in a more usable power band, it feels like a no brainer as well.
The three issues directly related to the turbos are the turbos themselves failing prematurely, carbon build-up on valves, and the timing chain/tensioner issues. They've addressed them all, but the issues do still persist, but much less common now.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM
ol guy

Thumbs down

I hate to be the one spending my money on these automakers experiments .
Just how many different engines have been put in vehicles over the past 10 years . Its crazy. Too much doo dads and plumbing on these new tucks , Simple is good some times.
The time a guy buys a first Gen turbo 4 cylinder it will have been tweaked twice in 3 years and then kick out of the way for a new engine design
Old 12-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Minnow

These toy sized engines in these trucks may put out the horsepower but the big question is the durability and the cost to maintain them as compared to the larger displacement non boosted engines with the comparable amount of miles. I'm pretty confident that they will be significantly more expensive to maintain and after 100,000 miles of heavier use they will be getting tired compared to there counterparts with larger displacement engines. Don't try to say that the fuel economy will offset the difference because the math does not support that argument either.