Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Took a 479 mile trip to run a 'glas boat - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-15-2019, 01:38 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walteye View Post
I started the last Crestliner post and went to sea trial a 2013 Ranger Angler 1860vs out of Marblehead/Port Clinton on Saturday. The weather was just like I ordered it. 15 knot winds and 2-3' seas. The owner took me out of Mazuriks Launch and within 20 yards of out of the breakwall a wave hit the left front of the boat and the water covered me and the windshield! Wait-this is a Ranger-water is afraid to splash into the boat!! The owner took me west-staying in the wind blocked bay and the boat/engine ran great in a walleye chop-coming to the end of the point-instead of turning right and heading out into open water-the owner turned the boat around and ran back in the wind restricted inner bay. I asked to take the helm and immediately turned north towards Kelleys ( i guess) where you can see the waves building. The glove box and dash panels were so tall and the windshield was so low that you had 4" of windshield to look thru-once I hit the rougher water I slowed the boat down-the nose came up and I had no vision of the water. Was the water slashing into the boat-not necessarily on the windshield-but it was running down down the gunnels into the cockpit. I turned the boat around into following seas and asked to put the 9.9 down-shut down the 150 and act like I was trolling. The owner lowered the Yammy 9.9 (electric trim-nice) and the cowling was almost under water-not nice. We catch wave after wave coming into the splashwell-until one comes over the splashwell and into the cockpit (Kliph-into the cockpit!!!) NEVER ON MY CRESTLINER!!!). We brought the boat back in and I drove back home (479 miles) without a Ranger.
Walteye
Wasn't that generation of 1860 anglers known to scoop waves over the bow?

If you looking for a rough water boat Id be looking at the Wellcraft 182 fisherman, but if your looking for seating it wont be the friendliest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanO View Post
Wasn't that generation of 1860 anglers known to scoop waves over the bow?
A 2013 1860VS is an older 98" beam boat...its hull design precedes current offering.

https://www.evinrude.com/content/dam...0VS-Angler.pdf

Today's 18' and above hulls are 100-102" beams. Here is one earlier example of the redesigns:

https://www.evinrude.com/content/dam...man-7-9-12.pdf

And today's offering for similar length boat:

https://www.rangerboats.com/fibergla...overview_specs

Last edited by 1sharphook; 10-15-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walteye View Post
I started the last Crestliner post and went to sea trial a 2013 Ranger Angler 1860vs out of Marblehead/Port Clinton on Saturday. The weather was just like I ordered it. 15 knot winds and 2-3' seas. The owner took me out of Mazuriks Launch and within 20 yards of out of the breakwall a wave hit the left front of the boat and the water covered me and the windshield! Wait-this is a Ranger-water is afraid to splash into the boat!! The owner took me west-staying in the wind blocked bay and the boat/engine ran great in a walleye chop-coming to the end of the point-instead of turning right and heading out into open water-the owner turned the boat around and ran back in the wind restricted inner bay. I asked to take the helm and immediately turned north towards Kelleys ( i guess) where you can see the waves building. The glove box and dash panels were so tall and the windshield was so low that you had 4" of windshield to look thru-once I hit the rougher water I slowed the boat down-the nose came up and I had no vision of the water. Was the water slashing into the boat-not necessarily on the windshield-but it was running down down the gunnels into the cockpit. I turned the boat around into following seas and asked to put the 9.9 down-shut down the 150 and act like I was trolling. The owner lowered the Yammy 9.9 (electric trim-nice) and the cowling was almost under water-not nice. We catch wave after wave coming into the splashwell-until one comes over the splashwell and into the cockpit (Kliph-into the cockpit!!!) NEVER ON MY CRESTLINER!!!). We brought the boat back in and I drove back home (479 miles) without a Ranger.
Walteye
Iím just really glad that all that cash you had in your pocket to buy that boat didnít get wet.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk View Post
Saturday there was a small craft warning on erie. I'm not sure what you expected from the boat in that kind of weather.
I completely agree with this. If you don't know how to pilot a particular boat in those conditions you will get wet regardless of brand. I went from an 18.5' Skeeter to an 18.5' Ranger and they handle completely different. I had to learn how to drive all over again in rough seas.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Long Trip

Doing almost everything wrong, what did you expect?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Minnow

Totally agree. I would not even take a boat that size on LE in a small craft warning. Especially, when never driven it before. Erie is a dangerous lake even with a much bigger boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warning View Post
I completely agree with this. If you don't know how to pilot a particular boat in those conditions you will get wet regardless of brand. I went from an 18.5' Skeeter to an 18.5' Ranger and they handle completely different. I had to learn how to drive all over again in rough seas.