Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Salmon set-up Questions for multi purposing Walleye gear - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

No I was actually talking about 8oz snap weights if going that route. You let out your desired length of line from the snap weight (say 25-50'), clip on the weight with an or-16 (red pin) release, then let out "about" 30' of braid per ten feet of desired depth.

It's a super easy and cheap way to get lures down to the fish. One downfall is that you are reeling in a half pound of extra weight until you take it off to net the fish.

T-MO do some Google searches on "pump handles", it's what a lot of guys call rods running snap weights or three ways for trout/salmon. A 16oz ball (a pound) is often used for thumping bottom for lakers (generally on 30lb wire line for abrasion resistence and less drag) but smaller weights work for getting lures to suspended fish with braids (and are inherently easier to reel in).

But yes, if running downriggers, I would use at least an 8#.

I prefer 12# weights myself, but run my back up 10#'s on occasion, mainly in snaggy areas if fishing close to the bottom.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 03-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

Here is a picture for reference.

The fish shaped downrigger weight is 12#

The round downrigger ball is 10#

The left snap weight is 1#

Next to it 1/2# (8 oz ball I'm referring to)

Second from the right 5 oz

The one on the right a 2 oz guppy (non-lead)

I like using the red offshore or-16 releases for snap weights, and I attach a corkscrew snap swivel made by Opti to them. It makes changing out sizes a breeze, and you only need a handful of them, not one for every weight in the tackle box.

I personally don't run snap weights very often, but occasionally add them to my weighted lines when trying to duplicate depths of a hot rod (like turning a 5 color lead core into a 7, or a 150' copper into a 200', a 200' copper into a 300' etc). I'll also use them to hold a lure right in the propwash for cohos.

But they work well on just a medium or medium/heavy braid rod to get a guy started in the game too!

There is also a picture of the first laker of the year to get ya fired up (February 18th on Superior). It took a blue dolphin spoon on a 200' copper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170313_185140.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	247946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170313_184344.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	247954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170218_161358.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	515.8 KB
ID:	247970  

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 03-13-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Keeper

Default What line and spread with this gear

Update:
I've picked up some new and used equipment now including downriggers.
Looks like fishing March-early April and then later summer thru fall.
Not sure if setting up boat for 2 or 3 downriggers makes sense. Crestliner has quick attach downrigger brackets or I could make a removable board as well.

Line to setup?
I have 3k yrds of Powerpro 40# for backing already purchased sharing with friend for leadcore set-ups. Was thinking of a 2,3,5,10 core set-up for lead
Couple Braid set-up for Dipsy same dia line or?
One Wire worth trying?

Reels I have.
2 5500 Could use with Micro Lead 2 color with 130 yrds of PP40 backing for SWR or on inline board
4 Penn 309 They should be good up to 1 full core of lead with backing 3.1:1 Ratio how to best use these?
4 Diawa 57 Picked these up new for a large lots of option reels.
6 Diawa 27 16 lb mono line for Walleye thinking of using 2 for high lines in spread for bonus Browns or with different rod off downrigger?

2 Manual downriggers with swivels and 4ft booms
2 Manual downriggers with 2ft booms (Prob only use 1 if any and let a friend use the other one)
3 10# Downrigger weights 2 with keels one round ball

2 8' fiberglass rods with Penn 309 reels (only 3.1:1 Ratio)
2 9' fiberglass rods with Penn 309 reels (only 3.1:1 Ratio)
4 10' Downrigger/dipsy rods with Diawa Sealine SG57 Reels (6.1:1 Ratio)
1 7' rod with Olympic Reel (large level wind)

6 8' Rods with Diawa SG27 reels Will have 16# Sunline line spooled on these. Rods are IM6 graphite.... Should I be worried about using these rods for high lines off inline boards? Work great for walleye flat lining and on boards. Gander Mt Planner Board rods from a few years ago.

6 Inline planner boards
4 Dipsy Divers
Flashers and Dodgers, flies, plugs, spoons...
bunch of different lead weights (1lb +/-) for a pump handle rod 3way set-up
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Wallhanger

See below.

Update:
I've picked up some new and used equipment now including downriggers.
Looks like fishing March-early April and then later summer thru fall.
Not sure if setting up boat for 2 or 3 downriggers makes sense. Crestliner has quick attach downrigger brackets or I could make a removable board as well.

I don’t think you will need more than 3, and probably could get away with 2 downriggers. The bite on the big pond is moving more and more away from DR, unless the fish are really deep.

Line to setup?
I have 3k yrds of Powerpro 40# for backing already purchased sharing with friend for leadcore set-ups. Was thinking of a 2,3,5,10 core set-up for lead

If leadcore on boards, I would skip the 2 color, unless you plan on using it for a SWR (secrete weapon Rig)
Couple Braid set-up for Dipsy same dia line or?
40# power pro is what I use on my dipsys, except for my wire dipsy rods
One Wire worth trying?
YES! There are days these babies are the key. They dive better (I run these dipsys to the inside and my PP dipsys to the outside) and are a blast to catch fish on with the zero stretch.

Reels I have.
2 5500 Could use with Micro Lead 2 color with 130 yrds of PP40 backing for SWR or on inline board
4 Penn 309 They should be good up to 1 full core of lead with backing 3.1:1 Ratio how to best use these?
4 Diawa 57 Picked these up new for a large lots of option reels.
6 Diawa 27 16 lb mono line for Walleye thinking of using 2 for high lines in spread for bonus Browns or with different rod off downrigger?

47 series and Penn 209 are good for any mono type rig, and even the PP. The 27 with 16 #, on the bigger fish, I would worry a bit about running out of line. I am thinking with 16 # you have about 600 feet of line? Many big kings will take out more than that, plus the line you have from the boat to the board. When fishing browns, you should be fine. I have a 309 with a full core, with zero issues.

2 Manual downriggers with swivels and 4ft booms
2 Manual downriggers with 2ft booms (Prob only use 1 if any and let a friend use the other one)
3 10# Downrigger weights 2 with keels one round ball

2 8' fiberglass rods with Penn 309 reels (only 3.1:1 Ratio)
2 9' fiberglass rods with Penn 309 reels (only 3.1:1 Ratio)
4 10' Downrigger/dipsy rods with Diawa Sealine SG57 Reels (6.1:1 Ratio)
1 7' rod with Olympic Reel (large level wind)

6 8' Rods with Diawa SG27 reels Will have 16# Sunline line spooled on these. Rods are IM6 graphite.... Should I be worried about using these rods for high lines off inline boards? Work great for walleye flat lining and on boards. Gander Mt Planner Board rods from a few years ago.

6 Inline planner boards

Are these the big boards, are normal walleye size? If running full cores or # ball rigs, you can run these on the big boards.
4 Dipsy Divers
Flashers and Dodgers, flies, plugs, spoons...
bunch of different lead weights (1lb +/-) for a pump handle rod 3way set-up
Old 03-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Keeper

Default Set-up

Lake Wisconsin or others any suggestions with this equipment what line to run on which reel? Any concern on using IM6 rods on Mono 16# line on boards?

2 color Lead Core was thinking a SWR on the downrigger or high lines on boards.

Was thinking of using the 4ft Penn downriggers on my boat and let a friend use the 2ft one on his when they go deep or just to put one down to see if any hits. 2 is easier then 3 to rig on my boat anyways and makes removal easy too.

If starting with only 1 wire rod... Should I go 150 wire and add snap weights if I need to go deeper? Any suggested line to pick up and backing?

16# line has same dia as 10 xt so should have above 450 yrds on the SG27 reels so that should be plenty I would think and double as walleye rigs as well.

inline Boards are large off shore style boards. I might upgrade to OR18 clips to lock in braid or put mono stretch after lead core. Boards are not the new extra huge ones however or a mast system.

Thanks again!

Tags
gear , michigan , salmon , trolling , trout