Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul - Mahkwa Lodge - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Minnow

Default Lac Seul - Mahkwa Lodge

I am heading up to Lac Seul and staying at Mahkwa Lodge with my Dad and brother for the first time on August 7, does anyone have any good tips or spots to try. I am not looking for any super secret spots just some general advice or areas. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Minnow

Pine Point and Pauley Light are two good places to start. They are northeast of Mahkwa on the Big Lake. Vaughn Lake is also a good bet especially if the wind is blowing hard and the conditions on the big lake are rough.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Minnow

Default pauli light

Be careful if you head to pauli light, there's a rock between two islands just north of Bishops rock thats at wash level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Keeper

Hey Wobbie....please update us with your experience there. We did not receive a reply from them when we inquired, but who know what happened. Report back on your return please about fishing most of all, then resort experience! Have a great trip!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Minnow

I will make sure I post will a follow up on the trip, Mahkwa has been very easy to work with, and hopefully the walleyes in Lac Seul will cooperate as well!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Slot Fish

Great area to fish.

What we normally do is either head to NE Pine Point area or NW Dominion Is area to fish in the morning half of the day. 1st week of August, better size fish will be in 20 to 35ft water. Use 2oz bottom bouncer with 1/2 to 3/4 crawler. If locate good concentration use 3/8 oz jig.

As stated Vaughn is a good area to go to get out of the wind.

Afternoon normally fish within 2-3 miles of resort, lots of points and sunken islands, keep you eye on graph to spot sunken islands, never know where there will be a hump that comes up to 20 to 25ft.

Dave
Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Minnow

Does anyone have any areas to look for pike? I know my Dad will drag me around looking so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

One more week, I not sure if I will be able to stand myself next week!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Keeper

Over the many years of fishing Lac Seul, in the time frame you will be there, we caught alot of big pike while fishing walleyes on the rock reefs. I can honestly say that we didn't actually target them but none the less we did catch quite a few. We had lots of them grab a walleye we were reeling in. My guess would be that if you were to use a larger pike sized bait and actually spend some time targeting them you could catch some real dandies. There are lots of reefs in your area of the lake. That Pine Point area always had lots of pike. We caught lots of them when using a jig and minnow. I am sure there will be pike in the weeds also but if I were going to try to catch a big one I would fish the rock reefs. Good Luck Rob
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Minnow

I more day and then the drive begins, I sincerely appreciate all the advice that I have received from everyone, hopefully I can put it to good use next week and catch a few fish. Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Hey Wobie....i was up near Mukwa Lodge on Sunday just gone about 12 more kms up the road. The walleye were everywhere! We got them as shallow as 3' in the thick cabbage, then on rock to mud transitions near weed on windswept shores in 10'-14' and then again on a steep drop off at 35'-40'. I lost 2 pigs(over 26" by what i could tell from the brief glimpse i got of them before they spat the hook...how do they do that?). Minnows and nightcrawlers were the best...leeches were not working at all for some reason. In fact a medium minnow tipped with a piece of nightcrawler was producing best results for a while.

The biggest fish were out of the weeds, and fell to 4" sucker minnows on a 1/4 orange chartreuse jig. in fact thats what we used all day, although i did get some on a slip bobber in 14'.

All in all we slammed fish all day long, i took some video footage of some of the fun..........have a blast....the bite is as hot as the weather at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZURRr4eDMs

HAVE FUN....LAC SEUL ROCKS!!!!!

Tags
advice , canada , lac seul , mahkwa