Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minn-Kota G1 Ulterra Upgrade - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Minnow

Default Minn-Kota G1 Ulterra Upgrade

I am wondering if anyone out there has seen any images of the kit contents or an installation video anywhere??? It seems as though this is a big secret. I can't believe this is not out there somewhere. I have contacted MK and have the current part number for the kit and that is all. Even the MK website says Post photo here but no photo. If anyone has anything it would be helpful. I know the kit contains the BT head, Ethernet cable, heading sensor, and remote. The install seems straight forward but it is always nice to see it done.
36v Ulterra I pilot link
Minn Kota Deckhand
HB Helix10 CHIRP GPS G2N , 999ci hd si, 859ci hd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default Clarification

I did this years ago. Mine was just a i-Pilot version, but would be basically the same. I just didn't have the ethernet cable.

If you are at all handy, this is a piece of cake. Just make SURE when you install the puck, that there is no magnetic interference! Also make sure to do the calibration procedure and the offset.

Search here on checking how and where to install the puck. Mine ended up inside the rod locker on the floor and has worked very well.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Minnow

Thanks JAK, so this puck does not need to see the sky?
36v Ulterra I pilot link
Minn Kota Deckhand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokemuch View Post
From my understanding it's just a compass so it just has to be able to link to the head unit via Bluetooth. No need for a uninterrupted view of the sky, not receiving signals like a gps. Just an area free of magnetic interference.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokemuch View Post
Itrain has it correct. It is just an electronic compass and NOT a GPS receiver. It talks via Bluetooth to the motor . It tells the motor which direction the keel is pointed (after calibration).

This version works great! just be sure to follow the calibration procedures and adjust your boat scale once you have it up and running.

Also make absolutely sure that you have NO magnetic interference for the H/S puck! it is all covered at the Minnkota web site under the installation procedures for the newer T/M's.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:32 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Itrain has it correct. It is just an electronic compass and NOT a GPS receiver. It talks via Bluetooth to the motor . It tells the motor which direction the keel is pointed (after calibration).

This version works great! just be sure to follow the calibration procedures and adjust your boat scale once you have it up and running.

Also make absolutely sure that you have NO magnetic interference for the H/S puck! it is all covered at the Minnkota web site under the installation procedures for the newer T/M's.

So where do these usually end up? I was surprised to hear the rod locker on the floor but I think that would be an awesome spot! How do you check for magnetic interference anyway? With a magnetic compass?
36v Ulterra I pilot link
Minn Kota Deckhand
Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default Yes

Just use a good old fashioned compass. Move it around and find a spot that shows no deviation from magnetic north. If you are near anything electrical, be sure to turn it on/off to checked for an induced electrical field.

Any large ferrous mass can also cause issues. Anchors and electric motors are problematic. Speakers and a tachometer are also trouble spots.