Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Connecting/Quality of Helix 7 G3N MSI to Terrova with built-in MDI - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-09-2020, 08:42 AM
Keeper

Default Connecting/Quality of Helix 7 G3N MSI to Terrova with built-in MDI

I thought I would ask here. I have a new Terrova with built in Mega Down Imaging transducer. I need to purchase a locator for the bow of the boat. I am leaning towards a Helix 7 G3N with MSI/MDI because this unit would also be my portable unit when I go to Canada fly-ins. (I just cannot picture bringing a big Helix 8 on a fly-in?) My question/concern: The Helix 7 G3N MSI units are not known for good down imaging...something related to the transducer not having dedicated functionality for down imaging...at least I think. Has anyone connected this unit up to the built in down imaging transducer on a Terrova or Ulterra? Was the imaging of high quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 05:36 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreindy View Post
I thought I would ask here. I have a new Terrova with built in Mega Down Imaging transducer. I need to purchase a locator for the bow of the boat. I am leaning towards a Helix 7 G3N with MSI/MDI because this unit would also be my portable unit when I go to Canada fly-ins. (I just cannot picture bringing a big Helix 8 on a fly-in?) My question/concern: The Helix 7 G3N MSI units are not known for good down imaging...something related to the transducer not having dedicated functionality for down imaging...at least I think. Has anyone connected this unit up to the built in down imaging transducer on a Terrova or Ulterra? Was the imaging of high quality?
If you have a built-in MDI transducer, you need to buy a Helix 7 Gen 3 MDI unit not a MSI. If you buy the MSI and have a MDI transducer, you will be paying for nothing. You will not get Side Imaging.
The latest generations (Gen 3) SI transducers have a dedicated crystal for down imaging so you get very good down imaging.
I have a MDI motor and a MDI Helix 12 ( not MSI) connected to it and the imaging quality is the best I have seen yet. I have used Helix models of all generations.

What transducer will you be using for the Fly-In ?
Old 08-10-2020, 06:22 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real1 View Post
If you have a built-in MDI transducer, you need to buy a Helix 7 Gen 3 MDI unit not a MSI. If you buy the MSI and have a MDI transducer, you will be paying for nothing. You will not get Side Imaging.
The latest generations (Gen 3) SI transducers have a dedicated crystal for down imaging so you get very good down imaging.
I have a MDI motor and a MDI Helix 12 ( not MSI) connected to it and the imaging quality is the best I have seen yet. I have used Helix models of all generations.

What transducer will you be using for the Fly-In ?
Hello. I should have clarified. I know that if I run the Helix 7 MSI through the Terrova MDI transducer I will only be able to see MDI. The reason I would be interested in getting the Helix 7 MSI unit is so that when I use the unit in Canada, I can use the MSI transducer that came with it. (In other words, the MSI transducer will not be used except for when I use the locator portably...but that MSI is so valuable to me scouting those remote Canadian lakes). I am trying to determine if the poor DI on the Helix 7 G3N MSI is because of the stock MSI transducer that doesn't have the dedicated DI crystal or is it because of the Helix 7 G3N MSI head unit capabilities itself? I have a feeling it is related to the MSI stock transducer. If that is the case, the Helix 7 MSI head unit should work beautifully with the MDI Terrova transducer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Helix 7 G3N MSI units are not known for good down imaging...something related to the transducer not having dedicated functionality for down imaging...at least I think.

Quote:
I am trying to determine if the poor DI on the Helix 7 G3N MSI is because of the stock MSI transducer that doesn't have the dedicated DI crystal or is it because of the Helix 7 G3N MSI head unit capabilities itself? I have a feeling it is related to the MSI stock transducer.

Could you post a link(s) where the above info is in print?

I am thinking you have a possible solution in search of a nonexistent problem.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreindy View Post
It is true DI. The old numbered units DI was derived by using part of the SI scan
Old 08-11-2020, 05:10 PM
Keeper

Thank you everyone for helping clear information. It would appear that the Helix 7 could meet my needs.