Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Got through border without license plate on trailer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Slot Fish

Default Got through border without license plate on trailer

Just got back from my 2019 trip. When i was leaving last Friday I noticed my license plate on my trailer had broken off. I made sure I had my registration handy but was still nervous about going through the border. Neither sides mentioned it when crossing. I was surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Keeper

I've never had a plate on my boat trailer. I've crossed twice a year since 1991.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The tank View Post
I've never had a plate on my boat trailer. I've crossed twice a year since 1991.
Do you drive it around Illinois without a license or just use it once a year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

In the last several decades, I have crossed into Canada and back into the US with more boat trailers than I can remember and none had a plate, as they're not required in my state.
Helix 9 Mega DI/SI+ GPS
Trailmaster premium
Old 06-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Just got back from Canada. Customs on either side aren't the ogres some would make them out to be.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Just got back from Canada. Customs on either side aren't the ogres some would make them out to be.
X2, be polite, answer the questions asked of you, smile and don't be a wise guy and you will be on your way quickly.
The agents have way more important things to do than to make sure you have a licence plate on your boat trailer for the state in which you are coming from. You do not need a license for your trailer in WI if it is under a specified weight, so why would a Border Patrol agent worry about it? They are not going to look up if you need one in your state and enforce it, when they have no legal authority to do so.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
X2, be polite, answer the questions asked of you, smile and don't be a wise guy and you will be on your way quickly.
The agents have way more important things to do than to make sure you have a licence plate on your boat trailer for the state in which you are coming from. You do not need a license for your trailer in WI if it is under a specified weight, so why would a Border Patrol agent worry about it? They are not going to look up if you need one in your state and enforce it, when they have no legal authority to do so.
Agree. They don't normally even look at the back bottom of a trailer, are interested in other possible violations.

Bill
Old 06-23-2019, 08:34 AM
Wallhanger

I remember years back when they made you drive through that building with a scanner going into Canada not anymore ????
Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Keeper

Default Scan my trailer

I can recall those days when you drove through that building on the way back from Canada. The guys that were pulled over for a physical check of the boat were the guys who put their rods in a tubular rod case. It seems that the diameter of the rod tube is pretty close to the same diameter of a RPG rocket launcher. I drove through there several times when they start scanning from the tongue of your trailer. Then you move slowly forward and wait at the white line for the scanner to produce a complete picture. If you had a rod tube in your boat, you turned left and pulled the cover off the trailer. I don't use any rod tubes so I was on my way in no time at all.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Minnow

One time, a few years ago, crossing into the US at Solute St. Marie, the US agent asked me what my trailer play number was. I told him I didn't have the foggiest idea. He gave me a not so nice look but let me through. In Michigan, we have permanent trailer plates...mine must be 15 years old....would you remember your number?...geesh!