Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Flourocarbon favorites - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2020, 08:56 PM
Minnow

Default Flourocarbon favorites

Just wondering what everyone prefers for flourocarbon. Generally Im attaching a small 3 ft segment on my braid mainline for casting and its more often then not 6 or 8lb unless im snapping on a stiffer rod which ill normally go 10 or 12. I started using the stren flourocast which i had no issues with just happened on a spool of 6lb seaguar red label. Man was it sensitive but sometimes I get excited and really set the hook. Lost a couple good ones not having had the drag set properly...currently using the invisx which seems to be much more forgiving as far as knot strength but has a bit more stretch and I think I'm sacrificing sensitivity. Looking to have the cake and eat it too. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 10:27 PM
cutting edge

When I use Fluoro for a leader, I always use Seaguar blue label 100% fluoro leader material. As far as what #, depends on what # my mainline braid is that I am connecting it to. If I am using 20# Power Pro then my leader is either 15 or 20# fluoro....15# Power Pro w/12 or 10# Fluoro and 10 # Power Pro w/8# Fluoro & finally 8# Power Pro w/8 or 6# fluoro. My mainline is connected to the leader with either a double-uni knot or a power or ball bearing swivel (depending on technique or lure I'm using)...leader length also varies, but 18" - 36" is most common for me which I then attach to a snap (if using a jig, I tie direct).....snap size is anywhere from a #0 - #3.
When using Fluoro as a mainline, I use P-Line Tactical. I've heard great reviews on Seaguar Tatsu, but I just can't get myself to spend the money which is double the cost of the P-Line!
Again....when using it for a leader, I only use leader material!
Old 01-30-2020, 03:56 AM
Wallhanger

I use seaguar premier leader fluro. its small size to strength makes it my 1st choice. I troll erie's central basin and use a 6' to 7' 20# leader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 05:05 AM
Wallhanger

Vanish Transition 6 lb from the jig all the way to the end of the spool for me.

The Vanish in the gold box and not the Black or Blue box.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

Flouro can get really pricey especially when you get up into the higher lb test ranges. For walleyes I like the Berkley Vanish line and for salmon I like the Seaguar SST line. Both are very reasonably priced and have always worked well for me.

Alumacraft 175 Tourney Pro - 150 Merc, 8hp Tohatsu, Helix 9 SI/DI, 24v Terrova w/iPilot Link
Old 01-30-2020, 02:07 PM
Wallhanger

Blue Label and SST

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins