Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake McConaughy 8.21.20? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 08-19-2020, 09:33 AM
Keeper

Default Lake McConaughy 8.21.20?

Headed to Big Mac this weekend. Just need to get away from Colorado and reset. Anyone have any recent reports? Just want to pound some fish, and do not care. Hoping maybe Wipers or White Bass, possible some Catfish or smack some Smallies.

Always down for some Walters, and was hoping they had moved deep, as wouldn't mind slabbing some over deeper water. Are they still chasing Alewives?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2020, 09:18 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mac

Shut up and fish tournament has been rescheduled for this weekend
Old 08-20-2020, 09:06 AM
Keeper

Wonderful news, thank you. That shouldn't be a game changer for me. I think that is set up by Chad, who runs the old Samuelson's in Lemoyne. I will just change my launch ramp to allow for it.

A few years ago, my wife and I were fishing, and didn't realize there was a PWT tourney, launched out of Admirals cove. We were fishing right outside the cove when all of them launched. Talk about being tossed around and waked to death!

I actually got to see our boat from a drone shot when I watched it on TV. My wife said she would have flashed the drone had she known it was there.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2020, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

Default Mac

Wasn't trying to discourage you but just thought it would be good to know if you weren't aware. I am not sure but Walleye a being caught over open water trolling lead with the traditional hornet's and flicker shad's. I think some fish have been caught slabbing as well. Good luck and let us know how you do, I live 50 miles away and just have a hard time getting up there for some reason.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:49 PM
Slot Fish

How late in the season is there open water? We are going down to pheasant and quail hunting late Nov. Worth dragging the boat along? (Never fished it but used to fly over it when in the AF all the time.)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default mac

I have caught walleye's slabbing a few days before Christmas
Old 08-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckhead View Post
How late in the season is there open water? We are going down to pheasant and quail hunting late Nov. Worth dragging the boat along? (Never fished it but used to fly over it when in the AF all the time.)

It is open until really late in the year, depending on the weather. And even then, there is tons of open water.

The water was down about 29', making a lot of the boat ramps unusable. We dumped in at the low water ramp around Admiral's Cove, Spillway Bay, and Cedar Vue was usable.

We fished Saturday am, at sun rise. No luck around Otter Creek, ended up fishing the foundations at Lemoyne. We were joined by the walleye tourney who were all speed trolling Flicker Shads with 2-3 oz weights or using lead core. I saw about 3 fish caught that were legal.

We (2 of us) slabbed in a little deeper water than the trollers, to stay out of their way. We hit fish we marked from 32-43 fow. We caught 4 legal fish, the biggest at 7 lbs, and a half dozen really small Walleye. We also caught a half dozen Catfish, from 10"-23". We tried dragging crawlers, with no bumps.

Saturday night, I let a couple follow us in their boat, as they had never fished Big Mac, and we fished around the dam at sunset. They caught White Bass/Wipers at the entrance to Martin Bay, but we left due to the amount of lake lice (jet skiers) using the same area.

We started casting the dam at dark, and caught Smallie after Smallie. The bite really got good after the sun completely set, and it was dark thirty. We were throwing natural colored big swim baits, as the water clarity was about 3-4'. My wife caught not one, but two Nebraska Master Angler Smallmouths within 30 minutes of each other.

For as hot and relatively calm it was, fishing was fair to good. I did not hear how the tourney guys did, but I know everyone else was really working to catch fish.

I am hoping to head back in about 3 weeks, if the temps start dropping some. The surface water temp was 75-78 degrees. Tons of Alewives and Shad blooms. Find those, find the predator fish. No baitfish around=no bites and wasted time.

For those that need reminded: The time to get your jet ski running for the first time out this year, is not at the one sided dock, at the only usable ramp. Dragging your tools, one at a time from the parking area 100 yards away, with 15 other boats trying to go in and out of the same spot. No bueno................It is a jet ski, pull it to the sand shore, work on it there, and get it out of the way of everyone else.

On a humorous note, we got rolled up on my the game warden at night. I was anchored and this boat slowly came in bow to bow. There were very few boats where we were at and I thought, WTH?? I shined my spotlight at them when they were about 10 yards from me and they yelled "State Game Warden!". I turned off my light and am sure I ruined their night vision....gulp. They were incredibly nice, weighed and measured my wife's fish so that we could release it. I handed them my book of licenses, registrations, ANS/AIS stamps for all my different states. He never got past page one which was Colorado, said "great job, thanks" and vanished as quickly as he appeared. No safety check, no bad attitude, just quick, and fast.
Lowrance Elite 7ti (x2)

Last edited by Husker525; 08-24-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:27 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
It is open until really late in the year, depending on the weather. And even then, there is tons of open water.

The water was down about 29', making a lot of the boat ramps unusable. We dumped in at the low water ramp around Admiral's Cove, Spillway Bay, and Cedar Vue was usable.

We fished Saturday am, at sun rise. No luck around Otter Creek, ended up fishing the foundations at Lemoyne. We were joined by the walleye tourney who were all speed trolling Flicker Shads with 2-3 oz weights or using lead core. I saw about 3 fish caught that were legal.

We (2 of us) slabbed in a little deeper water than the trollers, to stay out of their way. We hit fish we marked from 32-43 fow. We caught 4 legal fish, the biggest at 7 lbs, and a half dozen really small Walleye. We also caught a half dozen Catfish, from 10"-23". We tried dragging crawlers, with no bumps.

Saturday night, I let a couple follow us in their boat, as they had never fished Big Mac, and we fished around the dam at sunset. They caught White Bass/Wipers at the entrance to Martin Bay, but we left due to the amount of lake lice (jet skiers) using the same area.

We started casting the dam at dark, and caught Smallie after Smallie. The bite really got good after the sun completely set, and it was dark thirty. We were throwing natural colored big swim baits, as the water clarity was about 3-4'. My wife caught not one, but two Nebraska Master Angler Smallmouths within 30 minutes of each other.

For as hot and relatively calm it was, fishing was fair to good. I did not hear how the tourney guys did, but I know everyone else was really working to catch fish.

I am hoping to head back in about 3 weeks, if the temps start dropping some. The surface water temp was 75-78 degrees. Tons of Alewives and Shad blooms. Find those, find the predator fish. No baitfish around=no bites and wasted time.

For those that need reminded: The time to get your jet ski running for the first time out this year, is not at the one sided dock, at the only usable ramp. Dragging your tools, one at a time from the parking area 100 yards away, with 15 other boats trying to go in and out of the same spot. No bueno................It is a jet ski, pull it to the sand shore, work on it there, and get it out of the way of everyone else.

On a humorous note, we got rolled up on my the game warden at night. I was anchored and this boat slowly came in bow to bow. There were very few boats where we were at and I thought, WTH?? I shined my spotlight at them when they were about 10 yards from me and they yelled "State Game Warden!". I turned off my light and am sure I ruined their night vision....gulp. They were incredibly nice, weighed and measured my wife's fish so that we could release it. I handed them my book of licenses, registrations, ANS/AIS stamps for all my different states. He never got past page one which was Colorado, said "great job, thanks" and vanished as quickly as he appeared. No safety check, no bad attitude, just quick, and fast.
Thanks! Will have do some in depth research before heading down.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Keeper

Peckhead PM sent.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGregS View Post
Peckhead PM sent.
For some reason I do not get PMs here.