Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Driver rams boat at Wausau landing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

Exclamation Driver rams boat at Wausau landing

Crazy video. Any speculations as to what was going on here?

Video: https://wausaupilotandreview.com/wp-...20/08/boat.mov

Article: https://wausaupilotandreview.com/202...ausau-landing/

Last edited by Fin Bender; 08-25-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

My guess is the throttle maybe stuck. Since he was drinking. He took off till he sobers up.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 AM
Slot Fish

My throttle stuck once. I turned off the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Wallhanger

When ya gots to go, ya GOTS to go...….
Old 08-25-2020, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

I suspect that the reverse on his tow vehicle did not work and the trailer winch was broken, but he did not want to leave the boat in the water overnight, because it had a big hole in it and he had to drive fast to keep the water from leaking back into the boat.

So, he did the only thing possible. He landed the boat with the motor running wide open to avoid going down with his ship.

--------------------------------
Years ago, with our first boat out west; my father owned property that was adjacent to a very large lake. However, at the edge of his property there was no boat landing or any other sort of facilities. But there was a soft sandy beach that extended up about 50 feet from the edge of the water - depending on the season and the water level.

The boat was a 16 foot open boat with a 25 hp Johnson tiller on it.

Since we normally did not do a lot of boating at that time the trailer for the boat was a make shift affair with no winch on it. So, on purpose, when we were through boating for the day, we would empty the boat of everything except the boat with his life jacket and the single 6 gallon gas can in the boat. No battery because it was a pull start motor. Then, we would go out into the lake and get the boat running wide open, with no lock down on the motor and aim for the center of the sandy part of the beach where there were no rocks. Then, we would hit the sandy beach running wide open, at which time we would shut down the throttle on the motor and slide up about a 100 feet to the more solid ground. Then, we would get the trailer to the boat and use a come along to get the boat back up on the make shift trailer.

For the facilities that we had at our disposal, it was a perfect solution for getting the boat out of the water and in a position to load the boat without getting the vehicle stuck in the sand.

-------------

A few years later with a different boat and motor that the family had at that time; my brother and I had taken the boat out for a morning swim and ski. About 10 minutes after launching the boat and out riding around slowly, we noticed water above the floor. I instantly realized that we had not gotten the drain plug into the drain plug hole in the boat. So, I slammed the throttle wide open and made big circles around, with water streaming out of the drain plug hole on the back of the transom. Then, when the bulk of the water back out of the boat, I again aimed for that soft spot in the sand and put the boat up onto the sandy shore. I looked around and found a medium sized bush and cut off an appropriate sized branch and whittled the branch down to the appropriate size so that we could use a hammer to hammer the wooden plug into the drain hole. After installing the make shift drain plug, we pushed the boat back in the water and enjoyed the rest of the time we had to do some cruising and water skiing. Folks do what they need to do to complete the activities that were in the plans for the day.

Last edited by REW; 08-25-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

That. Was. Aweeesome!

I can't stop laughing. That was a full send.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:28 PM
Wallhanger

My buddy sent this to me yesterday. It was for sure a full send! By the sounds of that motor screaming, it took him a few seconds to realize he was out of the water. I hope no body was hurt.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

The only thing that could have made that video better is if some poor, unsuspecting soul was starting to back his trailer down, and the moron stuck the landing,,,,

HRG
Old 08-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Slot Fish

Who in here has got the skills to do a video edit?

I'm picturing right before he hits the landing.....video needs to stop, the voice over from Dukes of Hazzard needs to play through, and finished with a "Yeeee Haaaw" as he continues to make his way up the ramp.

Or.....distant cousin from Larry Enticer?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Send it.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	321148  
Old 08-25-2020, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Old stick in the mud here! That AH deserves shooting. JMHO Bob