Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone have any Black Bear Encounters in the Wild? - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Cantell View Post
For the real life sake of the kids Juls, better to give some beware of bears caution in anything you write about this subject.

Z
I did...
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2020 Ranger 621 FS Pro Series
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

This goes back 40 years , when my best friend and I were 14 years old living in Elliot Lake Ontario Canada.
Ivan and I (Jack) had got permission to go overnight fishing on the shores of Dunlop Lake at a stream inlet that came down from Ten Mile Lake . After having some fun on Dunlop Lake we decided to carry our 12 foot shallow aluminum boat up the two hundred yard portage to Ten Mile Lake to try for some trout . It was dark when we walked back down the trail to our campsite. The boat was above our heads carried like a canoe upside down . So with me in the back, I could not see ahead and had to trust my buddy Ivan up front.
As we approached our campsite , Ivan stops suddenly, and of course my head bags against the boat seat at my face as he yells BEAR !!! . The bear had run directly in front of him maybe six feet away. I guess it was checking out our camp fire and had been spooked seeing a grey and red aluminum boat held five feet in the air.
Well we quickly launched our boat in the Lake , grabbed our sleeping bags and slept in the boat anchored 100 feet from shore. Most uncomfortable night ever as we listened to the bear for many hours after.
the next night we found a small island and set up tent there. We later learned that the Ten Mile portage bear had harrassed campers the previous weekend , by tearing their tent and busting their cooler.
We had been taught to hide our cooler in the lake and not cook bacon (their mistake ) !!!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Minnow

We live in west central Wisconsin and our black bear experiences are on the rise, but my favorite thus far....

My wife decided she was going to get the mail, that I forgot to get earlier, and started heading down the driveway at dusk. I casually mentioned just to tease her to watch out for the bear that we had been getting on the trail camera on our property, never thinking she would actually run into it on the driveway. About two minutes later a hyperventilating wife slammed the front door and couldn't speak. Apparently, she got to say hello to the bear at our mailbox, after the bear stood up on its hinds to try and catch a smell of her, (approx. 50 yards or so away) and sprinted the 300 or so feet back up the driveway thinking the whole time the bear was going to catch her! She will no longer go down the driveway after dark, or even in the light without talking or yelling loudly.

I still find it funny, I also pointed out that running from a bear is not advisable. She told me being critical of her about the encounter wasn't advisable either. I took the later statement to heart!

As a post note by brother-in-law had a tag and got the bear shortly after. It weighed in at 540 pounds on the paw, so I would imagine it looked pretty impressive when she saw it standing on its back legs! (8 ft from nose to legs when layed out)

Robbie Krejci
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Minnow

Default story

Haha great story. In 2010 I was deer hunting with my bow in the boundary waters in Norther MN. Sitting in my stand around noon and started to eat an apple. I heard something and look under my stand and saw a curious 6ft black bear looking up at me. I was guessing that he smelled the apple and wanted to share so I willingly threw it down to him. He proceeded to eat it and look back up at me for some more. Well that was my only one and he thought I was holding out on him. He started climbing up my latter for my stand and when he was about 4 steps from the top I leaned out and asked him what he was doing. He stopped looked at me and started to go back down. After making it to the ground he ran about 40 yards away and sat there for about two hours looking at me. Guessing he was trying to figure out what I was I started making some noise and threw some branches at him and he just walked away. But this was not the first and I am sure not the last time I run into a bear up there. There is a pesky blond bear that loves to follow me. I hope you get a smile out of this! I know I laughed when it was over but I was holding onto my pistol for insurance.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Great stories, Guys! Thanks for sharing.

Juls
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2020 Ranger 621 FS Pro Series
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

We were camping in the BWCA. When we picked up some supplies we were warned that there had been a lot of bear encounters and sitings in the past few weeks. 2 different people told us the best best bear deterant at night was a large fire. So when we headed to the tents at night we made sure the fire was still going strong. Looking back we were a forest fire waiting to happen.
The 3rd night there was loud noise a few hours after we tuned in. Looked out the tent to our kids tent and could see them looking in the direction of the fire. I could see that the tarp covering our food had been moved. Over by the fire there were 2 bear cubs, each with a loaf of bread eating.
We watched them for about 1/2 an hour. When they had eaten most of the bread they went back to the food stash looked around but left without taking more food.
The kids and I both were worried that momma wasn't to far away so we just watched the show.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Wallhanger

Just got out of the truck and got ready to go shad fishing along the delaware river, here in Pa. I took about 2 steps away from the truck and saw 2 small cubs climb a big tree right off the lane I use for access. then I saw mom. she went partly up the same tree, sat in a crotch, and was cracking her teeth together quite rapidly (I believe they call it chomping) and saliva was flying all over the place. Made a "VERY" big circle around her to get to the river.
ALSO:
Was flintlock hunting in laurels, when I heard something like bark being ripped off a tree. just over the top of the laurels, I see a small bear going up a tree, not too far away. It stopped and proped its head in a y and was looking down at me. Started thinking, where's mom. Just stood there and the bear came down the tree, but I couldn't see it because its now behind the laurels. Pretty soon I see it coming out of the laurels, and straight at me. took my hat off and started waving it, and hollering yo bear, yo bear. It stopped for a second, and started coming again, and I did the same thing. this time it turned and ran away. Seemed like it was just curious, but didn't want it any closer.