Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Whitail Caliber?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 03-17-2005, 04:07 PM
benelli

Default Best Whitail Caliber??

I am looking for the best whitail caliber. This gun will be used for nothing but hunting whitails. I have a .300 for elk and a great varmant gun already.

Right now I am thinking about a 25-06.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Birddog

Default RE: Best Whitail Caliber??

So many good choices!! Over the years I've used many different calibers for whitetail, my choice is the .270. But I also like the .280, 30-06, and 7mm. Good luck with your decision.

BIRDDOG
Old 03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

Tough question.
The main thing is having a gun that you KNOW you can shoot well. Because we all know...it is where you hit the animal that counts.

My personal choice for deer was the 25-06 and I killed many deer with that Remington BDL in 25-06. I killed several elk (one shot... 120 grain pills) with it too. But, the main thing is.... I shot that gun well, and I had confidence that I would hit where I aimed when using that gun.
I killed a few deer and alot of Antelope with a .22-250, too. But, that was in open country and I have a tack driver .22-250 and I shot it a lot. I would not necessarily recommend a .22-250 for deer, but my point is...shot placement is the deal. You need to know your gun and shoot it alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Mike-WY

A 25-06 is a great gun for white tail deer. I'd say that or a .270 would be the most popular. Very similar rounds with very close ballistics. I'd stick with a 120 grain bullet with the 25-06.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 PM
reelman1

If you are looking strickly for a whitail rifle for eastern USA with most shots being in thicker cover and shorter range then I would suggest a .308 or .30/06 in a semi-auto. Bennelli now makes a nice auto in '06 which would fit your handle. Now that I said that I have never shot a deer with a .308 or an '06, or for that matter with a semi auto. I prefer bolt guns (Win.M70's to be exact) and I hate to use calibers that everybody else has. This is why I use such calibers as .300 H&H, .350 Rem Mag, .375 H&H, etc.

In reality your question is a lot like askinig which is better Ford or Chevy? There really isn't a "right" answer. There are so many calibers that will work great I would recomend that you decide on a caliber and then live with it.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Wallhanger

Here in southern and central WI a 30-06 is more than adequate for whitetails. My dad uses a .308 and it too is an excellent gun. Either one, as well as a half dozen others will get the job done. Of course, my new baby is an Ithaca Deer Slayer Storm. I bought for hunting in my "backyard" because it is slug only here. That thing throws a slug consistently and accurately out to 125 yards. Shot a 125 class whitetail last December with it at 85 yards. Ran 50 yards and died. My point is, any weapon will kill deer if you are comfortable with it and have good shot placement.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Minnow

It's true that if you shoot them in the right spot most calibres will work just fine. Up here in Saskatchewan I have shot most of my Whitetails with a 270 and 130 grain bullets, awesome gun, but if you check my photos and find the one of all my big whitetails, the second one from the right (169 7/8 B&C 6 x 6) was a 8 hour tracking job after a night shift because I led him a little to much and whacked him in the shoulder at 8:20 a.m and finally put him down at 4:40 P.M. I then decided to put my pride aside and pick a gun that will allow for a little human error. I bought a Steyr Mannlicher 300 Win. Mag. Fantastic gun, fantastic calibre, if you already have a 300 for Elk that is what you should use for Whitetail. Fast, Flat, Hard Hitting what more could you want.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Unlogged T-Mac

See... I went the other way, Sven.
I went from a .30-06 to a 300 Win Mag...and started flinching like a mother. It was the muzzle blast and noise.... you know, ...shooting prone..on paper...UFFDah!
Then, I went back downward in terms of wallop. Went to a .25-06 and .270...no more flinching.
I killed a lot of game with those two guns for those next 20 years.

But...now I just follow my dogs and shoot my shotguns...:)
Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Minnow

I hear Ya T-mac, those big calibres can beat you up at the range, but I have never noticed the kick when I'm shooting at an animal. Adrenaline I guess.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Slot Fish

7mm-08 is also a good option