Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Feelings on a .243 for deer hunting? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

A .243 is excellent on deer. In that caliber class, I would lean towards a .25-06, but that's just because I like them a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Slot Fish

My old ruger 243 has notched a lot of deer and antelope over the years, and I've always been very pleased with its performance. Its an accurate round, recoil is modest, shells are relatively inexpensive, and universally available.

Last fall, my 12 year old daughter used the rifle to take three deer, an antelope, and a nice elk. All were standing shots at around 125-150 yards. None of the animals dropped on the spot, but none went more than 20 yards or lived more than a few seconds after being hit either. Five shells and five shots = five animals (and lots of meat cutting time for a proud Dad!). Its all about accuracy and shot placement.

If you can hit what you are aiming at, a 243 is a fine round for deer. If you cannot hit what you are aiming at, no caliber short of a 60mm mortar round is going to help.

Happy Hunting--
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 AM
GuestPerson

If you hit a deer in the vitals the same place w/ a .243 100 grain and a .308 150 grain, the deer will typically die the same (time wise) with both, correct??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Keeper

the .243 is an ok deer round, as mentioned earlier the most important aspect is being able to deliver the bullet to a vital area. That being said there are alot of rounds that are far superior and better suited for deer hunting.

good luck
GF
Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Minnow

the problem with the 243 is that there is no margin for error. you must make a good shot every time. now that is something that no one can can say happens every time . deer just dont stand there and let you kill them every time. i have seen 40+ deer shot with a 243, and have always felt a larger gun would have brought better results. for instance we were in a ground blind, a 3 year old buck standing broadside. at 150 yards stood there as it was shot 3 times. finaly on the forth it ran. apawn recovery it was discovered that all four were in the hart lung area. now i know it died and it was a big deer 200 dressed, but had a larger gun been used ther would have been no question to the results of the shot. so evaluate how you hunt and decide if a 243 is up the the task at hand a 257 roberts ai with 115 would be the lightest i would go
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

I like the 243 for wide open areas like a meadow with no cover to have to shoot thru. If you are shooting thru any kind of wooded cover, one twig or branch will render that round uneffective for taking down a deer. That brings in the question of versatility. If you know you will only be shooting in open areas, fine, but if you might find yourself shooting into the edge of some woods where your target is 10-20 yards into the woods, you might not like that paticular round.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 AM
GuestPerson

so i see the shortcoming of the .243 for deer. so how about the 25-06, i see that it pushes a 120 grain around the same speed as a .243 100 grain. Better all around for deer? and whats the muzzle blast (loudness) compared to the .243 win and .270 win?

thanks guys
Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Wallhanger

Shadrap, have you possibley read John Wooter's excellent article, "Deer Cartridges to Start With and Stay With?"
It was published a bunch of years ago, and he picked cartridges between the 243 and 308 that do the job well. He owned a ranch in Texas, and hosted many hunters each year. Lots of personal experience and observed experience.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Default I like it..

I think the 243 is one of the best guns around. I have owned one for years . It is a great varmit gun and I have yet to see a deer survive a shot behind the front shoulder. It may not have the knock down power some have but for ease of shooting I think it is tops. I have a 270 and an 06 but for deer or anything less I pull out the 243.

Just another opinion.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Minnow

I have not read that article. but with large deer or deer that have been pushed bad things can happen. when you ask a varmint cartridge to do the work of a big game round. this is not fly fishing for trout or using 4lb test for eyes for the added difficulty. you should use a gun that will kill quickly and have the power to still kill if something happens. no rifle is a brush gun all bullets will deflect if hitting a twig. but if that bullet still retains the energy and bullet mass to still break bones and penetration. you will still have a chance to finish the job you started. as for the 25-06 the best loads take a distant back seat to the 270. in both delivered energy and trajectory. you can handload the 270 with bullets from 90 to 180 grains. with 110 vmax at 3400fps it is a long range varminter. that no 25-06 can match, and a 130 at 3200 is a deadly deer load. this has accounted for 30+ deer for me with no problems. if you want the best there is for deer at all ranges. from 100 to 800 yards the 300 win mag is the best of all worlds. a 190 at 3000 just smacks them is ways i cannot express in words. just my thoughts on this subject