Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Moose Outfitter Ontario - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Default Thanks REG

Congrats to you on getting your Moose. Can you tell me the name of the outfitter you used. Was that a Bow or Rifle hunt. Did your brother end up getting his Moose. Just how big of a chest freezer did you guys take with you. Was there anything else that you took with you that you were glad you had or anything that while you were there you wished you would have brought with you. Thanks for the reply and your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Keeper

Remember it was 10 yrs ago but we went with Polar Bear Outfitters - I believe it was Cochrane, Ont. Billy flew us into one of his remote fishing cabins and did a great job of stocking the fridge and cabin along with a fly over every couple of days. If we needed him to land, we just had to put a flag up on the dock. The cabin was less than fancy but it was dry and had a wood stove that kept us warm. We probably had enough food to last 3 weeks - even after the bear broke into our cabin and raided the pantry!

Our guide was Lloyd Quirt and he was a great guide. Only drawbacks were that he chain smoked but he could tell hunting stories as long as you could stay awake.

It was a gun hunt and I anticipated close quarters and short shots. So I almost went with the 45-70 but decided on the 300WM at the last minute and it was good that I did. Lloyd called in our bull but he showed up on the other side of the bay we were sitting next to. I would have given anything for a laser range finder at that moment as Lloyd and I disagreed on the distance. He was sure that he was at least 500 yrds and I thought he was a long ways away but closer than that. I had to wait for him to turn as he was facing us for quite a while - and when he did turn, I shot over him. But the sound of the shot made him stop and I got him with the second shot - in fact, he didn't make it out of the water. If you get a choice, don't shoot the moose in the water! That's another story.

A good moose guide will have a couple of "come alongs" (hand winches), and lots of sharp knives. Ours also had a big chain saw and a small one - the small one with veg oil in it to use for butchering. That little chain saw was a lifesaver and probably the best idea of the whole trip.

My brother never did get a moose, but he had a calf tag and we thought it a little tougher to fill the cow and calf tags since they don't respond to calling like the bulls do.

Our freezer was just a regular sized chest freezer - not the huge size - but that moose basically filled it and that was all boned and wrapped meat. We would not have had room for even a second small moose. We split the meat - of which there had to be at least 400-500 lbs - he was a big old moose - 48" spread on the antlers.

Take a handheld gps, range finder, good binos, good waterproof hip boots along with thigh high rubber boots, good camo rain gear, warm sleeping bag, etc, etc. It was a blast but the real work starts when the moose is down. If you can, make sure you're in shape. And have fun where ever you end up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moose antlers 2001.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	7707  

Rich

Last edited by REG; 02-07-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: had to add the antlers..
Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Keeper

http://www.howeybayresort.com/hunting/

here is a good spot,, although a 50% success rate would be extremly high for ontario, hunting the bush is tough
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

Pasha Lake Ontario runs a great fishing camp. They do moose hunts as well. Not sure about their sucess rates.

If you are looking for antlers I would look to other provinces.

Here is my 2006 BC Moose Hunt
http://www.forum.minnesotawaterfowle...5934144ee9a891
Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Keeper

NorthWest Ontario has some big moose. actually some of Canada's biggest moose
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Minnow

Went to Newfoundland two years ago. Hunted with "The Next Ridge Outfitting Co.". We went 3/3 all over 45" which is big for Newfoundland. Jim Shockey hunted there last year as well as the Team Primos guys. The place is infested with moose, saw easily 80-100 moose! Hunt of a lifetime all fly in by helicopter!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Minnow

I have been on a few Ontario moose hunts. Some of the outfitters I would recommend are Thunderhook out of Armstrong, Ignace Outposts out of Ignace, and Wilderness Air out of Vermillion Bay. I've used a few others but these were some of the better ones.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

My bro got this one in Ontario one week ago today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moose 361.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	18429  
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Slot Fish

Location: Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, MAPB, Lake St Joe, and usually on an island

nice bull you got there suzuki, and good work using a bow, my hat is off to you.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

My brother. Not me. He's the bow hunter in the family. So far hes got bear, elk, moose, caribou and of course lots of deer and various other critters.