Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone have any Black Bear Encounters in the Wild? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I was 4-wheeling a couple years ago when I encountered a young black bear sitting like a dog on the trail.
When I tried to go around it moved off the trail so I went back on the trail. As I approached the bears position next to me it ran, at an angle, towards me as i passed. I gave it more gas and hustled ahead of it before slowing down to look back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks you guys! Keep the stories coming. The article is slowly forming in my brain...

One thing though...if you want me to use your story, I want to use your full name in the article, so if you don't want to post your real name on the message board, please send me a PM with it.

T-Mac, and those I spoke to on the phone today are excluded...I know your real names...

Juls
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2020 Ranger 621 FS Pro Series
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Wallhanger

We were staying at Agimac river outfitters just north of Ignace. Our group consisted of a cabin of six ( the older guys) and a cabin of 4 about 100 yards up the hill where us young guys (40's) stayed.We kept a little different hours and cooked our meals seperately but got together daily at the bigger cabin for cocktail hour, shake of the day etc. One evening our group of four was walking back up the hill to our cabin after cocktail hour to start the grill,We had plenty of cocktails and were laughing and talking when I noticed a 300# bear amble off of our porch and disappear behind the cabin. By the time I could holler Bear!! it had gone out of sight. My friend Carey Simpson looked up and of course saw nothing.You are seeing things he chided. No, It just disappeared behind the cabin said I. On that note he took off on a dead run to get a look not knowing that the bear had stopped once he got behind the cabin.Carey also disappeared behind the cabin only to reappear on a dead run. Apparently he had rounded the corner and physically ran right into bear,pushing himself off as he wheeled and retreated. Needless to say we laughed until we cried that evening. Bryon Gyldenvand
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Two more instances:
My wife and I went for a walk at the cabin. On our way back a big bear crossed the road ahead of us. My wife was not thrilled about walking past that point but we had to get back to the cabin. Never saw it again.

Neighbors dog treed a young one next to our cabin. It just peeked around a big branch at us from 30 feet up. We left it alone and it eventually climbed down and left.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Wallhanger

Juls,

Sent you a PM. Didn't read that you were doing a kids book but with just a little editing you should be able to use what I sent.

Good Luck with the book. It's a great idea.

Mike Kansas
Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Slot Fish

My family has had many encounters over the years at our cottage in Sioux Narrows. The most memorable being the following. In 2007 we had a large number of people at the cottage. My wife, son, and I were staying in a motor home parked out front. I had just gotten done cleaning some fish and had gone to the motor home to clean up. I left my sandals on the rug in front of the door to the motor home. A few minutes later I heard a rustling outside the door. I looked out and saw an average size black bear wobbling away with one of my sandals. I would like to think the sandal smelt like fish and not my feet. Either way I felt the bear needed the sandal more than I did. Scott Kincaid
Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kansas View Post
Juls,

Sent you a PM. Didn't read that you were doing a kids book but with just a little editing you should be able to use what I sent.

Good Luck with the book. It's a great idea.

Mike Kansas
Not a book....just an article for a magazine...I can use one of your stories. Thanks!
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2020 Ranger 621 FS Pro Series
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen3
Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Slot Fish

Default bear encounters

I have 2...

1-I was archery elk hunting in 2005 in Colorado, sitting in a man-made ground blind over looking an oak flat elk were hitting prior to heading to lower elevations at night. I heard what I thought were elk coming down the mountain so I got ready to possibly shoot. Out pops two cubs about 30 yards from me, they are milling around eating acorns. Momma pops out a few minutes later. I let them all browse for what seemed like forever, but was probably just a few minutes. The cubs started getting too close, less then 10 yards, so I stood up waving my arms saying "hey bears" repeatedly. All three of them stood up on their hind legs sniffing the air, the cubs took off first. Momma 'woofed' at me a few times then took off. That was my first encounter and did what outfitter(was doing solo drop camp) told me to do if they got too close. I was as scared as I have ever been, but it worked out ok.

2-My Dad and I were sitting around our campfire after a day hunting in Colorado, just about dark but you could see maybe 50 yards or so still. Again, we heard what we thought were elk coming down the mountain, but two cubs come flying out of the brush with momma not too far behind. The cubs never slowed down or looked our direction. The sow saw us and veered off. The cubs ran past just inside our block target which was twenty yards away. You could hear the sow 'woofing' at us in the brush for a few minutes after. My Dad carried a side arm the rest of the trip.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I have lots of black bear stories, growing up in a rural setting, with the largest county population of black bear in the state. Black Bear are a completely different animal than Brown Bear, Grizzley etc. Black bear just want to get away from humans, if anything they are curious creatures, but I've never known them to be aggressive. The only agressiveness for Black Bear is related to cubs. TMac described it well. Brown Bear are a completely different animal and much more aggressive. I've never felt the need to carry a gun or other protection around black bear.

One - when I was really young, at my grandpa's cabin on the iron range, my brothers, sisters and I were playing outside the cabin and saw a bear. The Bear turned around and walked into the woods, being curious kids, we followed it. After entering the woods, and not finding the bear, we exited the woods about 10 minutes later (6 kids). About a hundred feet behind us, the bear exited the woods on our trail. We didn't know it at the time, but our Mother got real excited fast, we couldn't figure out why Mom was saying "Run!" (which was probably not the right thing to do).

Another, when I got out to the barn to do chores one morning, a little late, my Dad yelled at me because he had told me to clean the silo room the previous evening. Well, I did clean it out, and didn't know why I was getting my butt chewed. I opened the door into the silo room, and it was a mess. The milk replacer bags were broken open and milk replacer was all over the place - I showed my Dad what was bear tracks in the milk replacer and he was not so mad at me anymore.... See - I cleaned the &^%$# silo room!

Another - I was riding a quad on our farm, came down the field road by an old building site on our farm. Blasting around the corner of a fence-line I came face to face with one of the larger Bears I have seen. We were both pretty startled to come face to face with each other that quickly - and the quad was still going at a pretty high rate of speed straight toward the Bear. It's a good thing he decided to run to the left as I steered the quad to the right, or I would have colided with the bear and probably would have been pulling bear hair out of my teeth. He wanted to get out of there faster than I. I blasted right past him as my speed was too great to get stopped. By the time I slowed the quad down, the Bear was already out of sight.

Another - We custom combined for a farmer down the road - it was very early after the frost, the corn was still very wet (not when you would typically combine corn because it cost a lot more to dry the corn), but the farmer had to get the corn off before the Bear destroyed the crop. I ran the combine on the night shift, we were running 24 hour days to get the corn harvested fast. On one round through the field that night, I counted 37 different bear. I saw Bear every round, all night long, I only counted them one round just to know. The field was a quarter mile long, so a half mile of combining - 37 Bear. They were not disturbed by the combine, and only walked out of the way if the combine was going to run over them. Never felt any danger. What Bear do in a cornfield is they tear down all the corn in a 10-20 foot circle, pile it up on a pile, and lay in it and munch on the corn - take a Bear nap, and get up and do it again. When they get hungry again, they make a new pile, they don't go back to the pile that was already made. We had that farmer's corn harvested in about 40 hours, so it was only part of 2 different nights.

Another, while driving semi truck, I hit a bear over by Cromwell, MN. After hitting the bear, I pulled over, looked over the truck to see if there was any damage that would prevent me from continuing on to Duluth. The truck was fine, so I continued on. The next day a friend of mine asked me if the Bear was killed. I told him I didn't walk back in the ditch at midnight to check... "Hey Bear, are you alive after I hit you with a truck?"

Another - which has to do with a game farm down the road - they basically have pet Bear, if photographers want to take a picture of a Bear in a tree, they take one of their Bears, chase him up in a tree, and you can pay your fee, take your picture, and there ya go. Well, they train Black Bear with food - "Gummy Bears" specifically. Let's just say you don't want to fall asleep (pass out) on their couch after a bon-fire party. What happens is they put gummy Bears in your pocket, and let the Bear in the house. The Bear will find, and get, the gummy bears. So you may wake up from a drunken passout with a Bear tearing off your jeans to get the Gummy Bears in your pocket. You may not have any pants left to go home with, but the Bear will get the Gummy Bears out of your jeans.... The Big Game registration station clerk was entertained one night when they loaded up the Bear in the Cab of a pickup, the clerk at the registration station was a little surprised when the Bear turned it's head to look at her when she was going to apply the tag... Oops, wrong one, how about the one in the back of the pickup...

Black Bear are a pretty harmless creature. Most of the time I see them, they are running to get away. They really don't like to be around humans much. Black Bear eat berries, plants, they are generally not meat eaters. Brown Bears eat Bear spray and the campers that carry it.

Barry Chouinard

Last edited by Burr; 02-14-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

Sent you a PM. Feel free to edit it as you see fit for your story if you decide to use it.