Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
very low recoil deer gun - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
In my opinion a child should not have a semi-auto. But that's just me.

Im curious as to your reasoning behind this?

If they aren't responsible enough for auto, what makes them responsible enough for a single?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Wallhanger

I think the second shot is what has him worried. I am going to start my child off with a semi auto for birds and clays but with a plug so she can only load one shell at a time. That way I can buy matching Beretta autos for us. My wife will freak. I cant wait.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Keeper

kid has been shooting an ar since he was and liking it very much. he likes hearing the steel ring at 600 yds or seeing the pdogs doing back flips. now at 8 he is liking the custom 6.5 creedmoor bolt action a little more as he said 600 was getting boring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Wallhanger

The original post was asking about a slug gun. I don't know what's legal in your state, but here's another option if rifles are legal. They may be hard to get, but in our area the .257 Roberts was always known as a ladies gun because of the low recoil.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Keeper

the .257 Roberts is a fun gun to shoot and I know of a speed goat that died today at the Roberts hand 332 yards bang flop. I get a kick out of the big tough guys that don't want to shoot a "ladies gun" but cant shoot there mans gun well enough to hit a pie plate at 200 yds. I would rather have a competent shooter shooting a small caliber vs a sucky shot with a big gun. it is really pretty simple shot placement trumps all with bullet construction next followed lastly and least important head stamp
Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntracker View Post
the .257 Roberts is a fun gun to shoot and I know of a speed goat that died today at the Roberts hand 332 yards bang flop. I get a kick out of the big tough guys that don't want to shoot a "ladies gun" but cant shoot there mans gun well enough to hit a pie plate at 200 yds. I would rather have a competent shooter shooting a small caliber vs a sucky shot with a big gun. it is really pretty simple shot placement trumps all with bullet construction next followed lastly and least important head stamp

Very well said.

I'll add, that alot of guys who are decent shots, become terrible shots when they shoot magnums because all the fundamentals go out the window when you are worried about the recoil.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Wallhanger

I shoot a magnum with very little recoil. The 6.5 Rem. Mag.
If the shells weren't so hard to get, that would be another caliber I would recommend for a lady. I have both 600 and 660 Rem. Mags. in 6.5, and have found them to be accurate, and pleasant to shoot.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Keeper

if I go the fast 6.5 route it would be the 6.5 saum. possibly about as close to perfection you could ask for. from comps to any north American game. little detailed for the average hunter but if performance is what you are after tough to beat. A little reading for any one interested.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...-6-5-saum.html
Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

Interesting read!
They are going all over the place with new cartridges.
I think a 6.5 x 300 win. mag. won the NBR 1000 yd. competition a few yrs. back.

Last edited by grizzley; 09-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Im curious as to your reasoning behind this?

If they aren't responsible enough for auto, what makes them responsible enough for a single?
Simply put they don't have the gun handling experience. They cannot be excellent gun handlers.
You can say your kid is all day long but they do not have the time in the game. Its easy for a novice to lose their sensibility after a shot. Better a single or pump so they have to think about that next round.