Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mono vs Braid - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE WALLEYE View Post
I agree with Freedom on this. If you are used to Mono and switch to braid, you would want to go to a lighter rod and a slower action.

example if you like a medium power xtra fast rod with mono, then a medium light power fast action or moderate fast action would work well with braid.

In real life the opposite is true with the mono you have all that stretch to deal with and need to take up that stretch with the rod. Same for the sensitivity, if you have a MLXF rod and stretchy line you loose the feel of the lure and what it is contacting especially with light lures. When a Walleye takes a bait he flairs his gills and sucks the bait in if the rod is to stiff especially with braid the bait never makes it into his mouth and braid is so sensitive that one feels that bite much quicker and will actually pull the bait either out of his mouth or tear is out if not hooked properly. Any forgiveness with braid has to come from the rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
In real life the opposite is true with the mono you have all that stretch to deal with and need to take up that stretch with the rod. Same for the sensitivity, if you have a MLXF rod and stretchy line you loose the feel of the lure and what it is contacting especially with light lures. When a Walleye takes a bait he flairs his gills and sucks the bait in if the rod is to stiff especially with braid the bait never makes it into his mouth and braid is so sensitive that one feels that bite much quicker and will actually pull the bait either out of his mouth or tear is out if not hooked properly. Any forgiveness with braid has to come from the rod.
Tom,

Medium light is softer than medium

xtra fast bends less than fast

so with strechy mono an xtra fast action and medium power rod would be a good match

with braid you can go to a lighter and slower rod like a medium light fast action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rod-action.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	19941  
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Minnow

I should use braid on my mod fast instead of my extra fast then, if I'm reading this right?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcaguy View Post
I should use braid on my mod fast instead of my extra fast then, if I'm reading this right?
That is what I would recommend.

Basically what has happened is that most fishermen have used mono for a long time, and learned how to fish with mono. If you take someone that has only ever used mono, and just spool their reel with braid you will hear complaints about pulling jigs/lures out of the fishes mouth, or fish giving a head shake and tearing hooks lose. Most of those problems can be eliminated by using a slower/softer rod than you would use for the exact same application with mono line. It all still comes down to personal preference but that is a good guide line.
To use myself as an example until about 6 years ago every rod I owned was medium or medium-heavy power. Now that I have started to use more "super line" I have several medium light power rods to compensate for the unforgiving nature of the line. If you stay with a stiff rod and braid you have to learn to set the hook with a snap of your wrist, not a whole body bass master style jerk, and then fight the fish gently with loose drag.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Wallhanger

Joe your right if using the rod for crankbaits. If pitching light jigs or blade baits MLXF gives better feel of the what the bait is doing and the fast loading of the rod on the hook set picks up the slack faster and sets the hook faster.

Here is a good test on the difference of the two actions using braid line. Put on a 1/4 ounce blade bait and pitch it out on a long cast. Now pick up the slack line and see how little or how much rod movement between the two actions it takes to feel that blade bait do a real slow I mean a slow 6 inch lift to feel each thump thump of the blade bait.

Last edited by TomP.; 01-23-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Minnow

last week bought an Hmg moderate fast to jig and rig, second guessing myself after reading this, well i'll try it and see how it works.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcaguy View Post
last week bought an Hmg moderate fast to jig and rig, second guessing myself after reading this, well i'll try it and see how it works.
I use braid for flat line trolling and rigging. I built 7'6" rods on MHX saltwater blanks rated as medium power and moderate action. (8-15 pound line rating) They work great. For jig casting and vertical jigging I use a Lamiglasss 7'3" MH blank with a fast flex. On this rod I fish YoZuri Hybrid 10#. The first rod uses the no stretch braid to aid sensitivity and the slower rod to keep the fish from pulling off. The second relies on the rod for feel and the line has give. Seems to work for me.