Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Opinion on rod length for jigging??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Keeper

Default Opinion on rod length for jigging???

I'd like to hear what everyones theories are concerning rod length. I'm considering a Legend tournament spinning rod. My current go to rod (for jigging) right now is a 6'3 Walleye series Gloomis. Am I missing something here??? I use longer IMX rods for trolling but haven't tried a longer rod for jigging.

Thanks,

houndog

"A man's got to know his limitations."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Wallhanger

Hmm, it would seem the legend tournament would be a lateral type move unless you are looking for a second rod. I personally feel that Loomis rods are more sensitive than Croix until you get to the elite or extreme.

In deeper water, or pitching jigs for walleye, I like Croix 68mxf.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Minnow

Vertical or pitching? Shorter for vertical (6'3") longer for pitching (6'8")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

I have been gravitating over the years to longer rods. Longer be relative to where I started. I now prefer 6'8" to 7'6" but also depends on the rod. I did just pick up a 10'6" steal head/ salmon rod with a very light action that I plan on using for slip bobbering
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Keeper

Actually one of the biggest eyes I've landed was on a 4'9" eagle claw ultralite.

Maybe I'll try an elite?? If no one can convince me that the length make little to no difference in feel I may just keep what I've got now. I just see that a lot of folks are using longer rods and am wondering what if anything I'm missing.

By the way I do prefer the St. Croix comittment to North America!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Minnow

I would stick to G Loomis, it wont feel right switching down. I prefer short rod for verticle jigging, 5' to 6'3" even though finding a 5' rod with right back bone and action is hard, almost have to get custom one made. I like extra fast; medium to medium heavy here.
For my pitching rod I go longer 6'8" to 7' with same action s and strength. The longer pole really helps with getting longer cast and detect s the bite sooner cause your rod tip will be closer to the jig. This is really importaint when they are biting on long cast at the begining of the retrieval.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

The Elite 68mxf is pretty sweet. Lighter than the new Xtreme too.

More sensitive blank then your current Loomis and more length for casting or deeper water hook sets.

Your present rod is very nice as well. Since you are only gaining 5 inches in length, I wouldn't change unless you felt the blank was an improvement in action or sensitivity for the application, or your preference.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Over the years, I started with a 5 foot rod and gradually worked out to a 7'6" rod and am now on the way back.

Most of the time I will be using a 6'3 or a 6'6" rod.

It is just the rod that seems right most of the time.

Yes, there are a few special instances where you want the ultimate long cast and then the 7' rod or longer is nice. But most of the time, the extra length just gets in the weigh and if there is any wind blowing at all, the extra length actually reduces sensitivity, because the wind tends to grab at the extra rod length.

Conversely, if vertical jigging then I will opt for a 5'8 or 6' rod. Again, just the right rod and it works perfectly.

Good luck
REW
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Wallhanger

Default My choices

Trolling or dragging a jig on the bottom: 7'-7'6"medium light XF with certain blanks each blank needs to be treated and checked independently. Not all blanks the same.

Vertical Jigging: 6'3" to 6' 9" medium action.

I go for longer rods then my fishing partners use.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Wallhanger

Jigging is all about sensitivity and balance.

A 6' or 6'3" with a small reel (think icefishing) and 6lb line is hard to beat IMO.

Save the 7' rods and 2500 size reels for everything else.