Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New GMC and Ram tailgates - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

X-3 on the pole. I have a broom stick with a eye hook on the end. Usually have 2 tubs with me, one for extra clothes, and one for emergency trailer repair gear. They stay up forward and I can grab them with the hook. I guess we have come a long way from the tailgates with a chain and hook!
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 06:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Iíve heard that on the GMC if you have your receiver hitch with the ball in it, when you drop the tailgate it will dent the tailgate.
GM could easily address the drop-down step vs hitch problem by adding a sensor in the receiver, so the electronic control pad doesn't allow the step to deploy if there is an insert slid in.

Because, obviously, people aren't smart enough to not do it on their own.

HRG
Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 AM
Slot Fish

I always thought the Fords step idea was cool. I wish that was on my Ram 2500. I pretty much have to pole vault into the bed of my truck to get in there. You want to see something funny watch a short legged fat guy try to climb up into a Ram 2500....

When I saw the new GMC tailgate my first impression was man that is cool, then I thought man that is a lot of moving parts that can go bad but it is still cool and a good idea. Rams answer with the split tailgate is a good try but it still doesn't help you get up into the truck. I thought it was kind of a lame response and the tailgate reminds me of the swinging tailgate on the (hurts to say this) Honda Ridgeline. What Ram should have done is allowed you to swing the tailgate and also deploy a step that would drop down from under the bed of the truck. A simple hoop is all that would be needed.

As for the Ram clearance with a boat attached I would think that being a 60/40 split that one side would clear and the other side wouldn't so you could possibly still swing it open. If you can open each side independently that would be another good option.

In the end though none of these tailgate options come on a truck version that I can afford so I will just stick with the 5 gal pail and broom stick with a hook on the end.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

pj, look at :49 in this video,,,,,

What Ram should have done is allowed you to swing the tailgate and also deploy a step that would drop down from under the bed of the truck. A simple hoop is all that would be needed.

https://youtu.be/mLWRPOKae9g?t=46

HRG
Old 10-29-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I've always kept 2 items in my 2001 1500 Silverado: 1 - A hoe to pull/push stuff toward/away from me, wouldn't go anywhere without my hoe. 2- A small lightweight fold-able one step ladder to enable entry to the box. (I get the ladder to me by using the hoe.)

Bill
Old 10-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Keeper

The Ford tailgate step works the best for me. I don't need all the configurations of the GMC and for running my ATV up into the bed the gate has to be down, not swung out. I really like the handle on the Ford tailgate step to pull myself up. At 62 it's tough to get up in the bed now which I do frequently hauling coolers and other stuff. And to think it doesn't seem like that long ago that I could stand and jump up on the gate. Getting old sucks but as they see it beats the alternative.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

I'm all in when it comes to traveling with my own hoe.

2018 f150 has retractable steps on both sides of the box.

Topper is a fold up, requiring the hoe to snake items from front of bed.

Tail gate has the handle and step, which I use when it seems that I
can trust my 1934 model legs. Occasionally I'll ask for help.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
I'm all in when it comes to traveling with my own hoe.
I hear that. Nothing worse than having to climb in there and do the work of a hoe yourself.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post

What Ram should have done is allowed you to swing the tailgate and also deploy a step that would drop down from under the bed of the truck. A simple hoop is all that would be needed.

HRG
And it wouldn't be long and that will be called the Ram 1500 Malfunctioning Tailgate. . . .
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post

HRG
Well there you go. Didn't know they included that.