Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2020 Ranger Fisherman - Side storage or not? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Keeper

Default 2020 Ranger Fisherman - Side storage or not?

I’m days away from finalizing my order for a 2020 Ranger 621FS or 621CFS and only one decision remains. Side storage with the FS or no side storage with the CFS?

30% of my fishing is trolling while the other 70% is spent on the bow. Boat will also be used for general recreation about 10 days each year.

I’ve been debating pluses and minuses but having zero experience with this model I’d like to here from all of you and especially those who have owned both types such as the Warriors and Ranger Fisherman Series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

I recently moved into a Skeeter WX2190 from a Ranger 619DVS. The difference in space behind the consoles and the utilization of that space is huge.

In my 619, the storage behind the driver's seat was taken up by on-board charger and starting battery...so essentially that side was pretty much utilized. The passenger side was big and DRY - very nice. WX2190

In the 619, I had 3 spots to put a seat in the back - if I used either of the outside spots the person could sit forward, but that's it. You could not turn the seat without knees clunking into the side storage.

In the 619, I bought the optional rear casting platform that made a HUGE rear deck for my bass fishing partners. Very nice.

I fish about 30% full-out trolling, 40% standard (jigs, rigs), and 30% bass fishing. I also pull the kids on tubes, boards about 6 days per year.

In a boat the size of the 621 (or the WX2190) the storage room is on a new level compared to a smaller boat. I think I have a lot of tackle and the boat just swallows it up. Plus, I've got 2 jump seats in the back meaning that I don't NEED to take the rear pedestal seats on trolling trips or when pulling boards, tubes. NICE!!

For me - the extra room was well worth the trade off of the rear side storage. I don't miss it.

Good luck!

Scott
Old 06-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Slot Fish

I'm in the same predicament and trying to decide if i need the storage compartments or not. I wish Ranger would have made them removable. I have had several Ranger boats and used to having them there. I crank about 50 percent of the time and the storage box on the passenger side is full of Plano boxes along with some in the back two compartments, under the dash on the passenger side and some in the front two compartments. If i didn't have the storage compartments in the back i don't know what i would do with all of my crank baits. If i knew i was only going to crank on certain days i could bring bags with the Plano boxes. I pretty much made up my mind that i need the storage compartments. I have several buddies that fish out of different brands of boats that are not used to having the storage compartments and have said several times that they wished Ranger would not have the compartments and if Ranger would remove them they would buy a Ranger. Maybe this is what sparked the option of not having them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what I would do without all that storage space...

I can sit on them, stand on them, balance myself on rough days with my knees on them, and store a ton of stuff in them.

I wouldn't want to have to be tripping over boxes or bags full of stuff scattered on the floor or the bow, because I didn't have that storage anymore.

But, hey, that's just me.....do what works for you. It's your boat.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 06-27-2019, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

I have a 619 FS and can not imagine not having the storage. I also have Just Encase Deck Box as I am primarily a musky guy and I use the sides for everything bass, walleye related, boards, rod holders first aid kit etc...
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I would think Modog could make you up some custom boxes that can be removed when needed.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Wallhanger

I think it's a bit of a Ford vs Chevy debate. You either love the side storage or you hate it, but there aren't many people in the middle.

I hate it. It's a deal breaker for me, and obviously that holds true for a lot of people if Ranger went to the effort and cost of redesigning their top cap to give people the option. (I'm going to assume patent issues prevented them from making them removable, I can't see why they wouldn't have otherwise.)

I'm not sure how the Ranger without the side boxes compares, but I have never once felt that I lacked storage in my Warrior, in fact, I know I'm carrying around tons of stuff that I don't need and will likely never use, just because I can. Even on the "kitchen sink" pre-fishing days with pretty much all the gear that two guys own jammed into the boat, I never have tackle bags or rods loose on the floor or in the way, everything is always stored away neatly and dry.

Take the seats out and you have a HUGE area to work in, whether it's dealing with fish, dealing with gear, or simply just the ability to move around effortlessly with nothing in the way, for me, the extra space behind the windshield is priceless. The more people in the boat, the more valuable the space, and for the days you've got more than two adults, and especially the days when you've got 2-4 kids, that room for everyone to move around easily is a big deal. The added space makes the boat feel much bigger than it is.

Waxy
Old 06-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Wallhanger

If your debating then you dont need them. There is plenty if waterproof bags to put your stuff in.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
If your debating then you dont need them. There is plenty if waterproof bags to put your stuff in.
I hear you but need has nothing to do with any of this especially a 400 Verado, a 15” Solix and all the other options! My current boat fishes just fine but bigger and faster is always better!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Keeper

Also, thanks for the input. I’m still leaning toward no rear storage. Much of my tackle will fit in the existing storage and what won’t fit can be in tackle bags and boxes the bow when trolling and in the back when fishing off the bow.

I really like the ability to move around behind the windshield when trolling, especially when fighting and netting big fish! My current boat is limited in that aspect so there you have it