Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2020 Ranger Fisherman - Side storage or not? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Wallhanger

Have you ever looked at a Lund 219 GL with removeable rear boxes. You can have it both ways. They are a pretty awesome boat and comparable in size to the 621.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
Have you ever looked at a Lund 219 GL with removeable rear boxes. You can have it both ways. They are a pretty awesome boat and comparable in size to the 621.
I have and I like the layout for the most part but I prefer the 2020 Ranger dash, plus the Ranger has a broader selection of manufacture installed options that I prefer such as the Ultrex trolling motor, trim tabs, large graphs and so on. These are higher on my list than storage pods.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

My Gen 1 621 felt somewhat cramped with the back seats in. My Gen 2 with the smaller storage pods and wider beam does not feel cramped. You can swivel the rear seats all the way around with your feet in front of you. With sliders added to the rear seats there is a good bit more foot room. Without the pods, I would not have the storage I need. The tradeoff on floor space is worth it for my use.
Perhaps the C models will have some storage that the other models don't.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
If your debating then you dont need them. There is plenty if waterproof bags to put your stuff in.
And where are those waterproof bags going to sit? Can you sit on those bags? Can you lock those bags?
Having a 621 now I don't know where I'd store things, not that I like the boxes feeling in the way I would not like to lose all of that space. I can see guys putting a lot more heavy tackle in the bow storage and there goes 2 mph because you can't get the nose up.

IMO Skeeter has the best solution for storage with the wide gunnels to accommodate 3600 series boxes.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Makes ya wonder how people even could fish with the limited storage a 16' boat used to provide.

We all can remember toting a tackle box and a single rod when we went fishing. We caught fish, we had fun. Today we all think we need as much tackle as BPS carries. Unless you are a guide you really don't NEED all that much stuff, you WANT all that stuff.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
I don't know what I would do without all that storage space...

I can sit on them, stand on them, balance myself on rough days with my knees on them, and store a ton of stuff in them.

I wouldn't want to have to be tripping over boxes or bags full of stuff scattered on the floor or the bow, because I didn't have that storage anymore.

But, hey, that's just me.....do what works for you. It's your boat.
100% my thoughts. So many uses for side compartments then just storage. I like sitting on them, kneeling on them to reach over board, standing on them to jig or cast, having a spot to open up a plane box while setting up or retying. To me the benefits of side storage is huge over not having them. I would only remove them if I strictly fished for salmon or trout with riggers or dipsys

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Keeper

Dang, you guys aren’t making my decision easy

I’d really like to spend some time in one of the two models but the closest one I can find is a 2 hour plane ride away. These aren’t popular boats in the west and the closest dealer is a 3 hour drive and he only stocks bass boats and an occasional Angler.

On one hand I love the idea with the CFS model of being able to have 3 - 4 seats behind the windshield and still being able to move around next to the gunnels all the way to the stern especially when dropping downriggers, fighting fish and netting them.

On the other hand having all the tackle and other stuff stored away, lockable and not having to move it around the boat to get it out of the way would be a big plus. In addition you can get the rear casting deck with the FS model.

If the CFS had a rear deck available this wouldn’t even be a question since all the tackle bags could be slid under there when casting, jigging, etc but that doesn’t appear to be an option based on what the dealer sent me. That said he might’ve left a page off since the tracks also weren’t listed and I know they’re still an option.

Last edited by Tilzbow; 06-29-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:50 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Makes ya wonder how people even could fish with the limited storage a 16' boat used to provide.

We all can remember toting a tackle box and a single rod when we went fishing. We caught fish, we had fun. Today we all think we need as much tackle as BPS carries. Unless you are a guide you really don't NEED all that much stuff, you WANT all that stuff.
90% of all my tackle is for confidence, 10% is what I use!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:50 AM
Minnow

Too much storage space will never be regrettable, too little storage space will always be regrettable. The guest space is fine with either choice. Good luck with the new boat..
400 & 15 Merc.
15 & 10 Solix
112 Ulterra
Zip wake
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Keeper

Default Lund owners please chime in...

I'd like to hear from some Lund guys. How much do you use your 219 with the storage out vs in?