Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LOW Ice Fishing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Keeper

Location: Omaha, Ne. - Cabin on Missouri River 7 miles below Pickstown, SD.
Smile LOW Ice Fishing

I have been invited to go on a 3 day ice fishing trip in the Dec 12-14 timeframe. Never been ice fishing there (just summer jaunts 30 years ago).

Any feedback on what to expect....is bite better early ice on LOW?

Not sure exactly the location as I have not been provided any details other than the lodging and fishing is all on the US side, so I expect on south end of the lake.

Any advice or comments welcome.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

There will more than likely be thin ice on the big lake during those dates. Depending on this fall's weather, be prepared to have that trip postponed or canceled.

Fish can be found in shallow water and fishing should be really good during that time frame!

Advice depends on precisely which area of the lake.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Wallhanger

I grew up fishing LOW. second week in Dec is the number one date to target to get in on the crazy first ice bite.

If your going out of a resort you may be in their light ice rigs. If you are DIY plan light. You'll have plenty of time to watch ol ma nature and pack accordingly. A majority of my trips go like this... One rod, up and down, short days cuz you want to relax as well by hitting the lodge and eating some of your fresh catch.

Good luck and throw up a post when you return. I'd not bother packing a lot of lures. They'll gladly sell you what's working and they can use all the income you can afford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Yep, the fishing is awesome if you can get out. How good it will be really depends on the ice and how far you can actually get out.

Chances are the big lake won't be frozen, and you need to be careful of the big winds as they can rip the ice back apart again. No good ending up on the other side of a giant crack.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Keeper

Default LOW Ice Fishing

I appreciate the advice.....will just wait to see what lures to get once there, granted the ice is decently fishable.

Once I get the details from the group about where we are headed I will update the post, Also, I will post as soon as I am back and let all know what happens, how it turns out.

Just started ice fishing last year and frankly am thrilled to have a chance to try this out.....

Thanks to all!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Slot Fish

It all depends on ice conditions, but if you can be one of the first groups out to fish the reefs you can get on a ridiculous bite. I was lucky enough to be one of the first groups out on 12 mile reef last year and I think between two people we had 85 and 78 fish the two days we fished.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Slot Fish

Default Ice time

That time of year = gold spoon at Morris 1/2-1 mile out most likely
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Keeper

Smile LOW Update / Report

We went to Sportsman's Lodge at Wheelers Point and fished last Sunday pm half day, Mon, Tues. Fishing was a bit slow. Gold seemed to be the best color for consistent bite, followed by glow-in-the dark jigs tipped with minnows.

38 fish, 5 guys, many fish in the 10-13 inch range, a lot went back in. I got a 21.5 for largest of the trip, it went back in as well. Next largest was 14.5....we also got a good sized perch as a bonus fish.

Not many folks doing any better that ourselves. Overall a great time, would do it again in a heartbeat.

"Should have been here last week" was a common phrase.

Great accommodations / folks / food at Sportsman's.

Looks like it is getting set to get cold just after Xmas, so time to get ready to try some local fishing for 'gills, etc.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Minnow

Default thanks for the report

Thanks for the report I am going up tomorrow for a couple days (fish the 22nd and 23rd) any additional advice would be appreciated
Old 12-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Minnow

Default Update

Posting from the shack. Been slow the three of us have caught 7, three keepers one at 18 1/2in