Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bow Lift - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Minnow

Are you using same hub insert in all props? Possible spun hub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 04:00 PM
Minnow

They have all been flo torque II hub kits. I have different ones.

The 21p and 23p trophy do not slip.

19 trophy or aluminum 19's also slip.

Guess I should look at the hubs, possibly I have one bad one?
Old 09-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Wallhanger

Sorry to be blunt, I think at least three people have suggested trying a different prop other than a trophy. Try as you may want, but trophy’s are not a good match for deep v valleys boats. FYI, that aluminum doesn’t count as trying something different. For the forth time, try a Tempest, Bravo, or Rev 4 if you want more bow lift. The Tempest will be the fastest and the Rev 4 the slowest of those three.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:51 AM
Minnow

Yes, I intend to. Until the hook in the hull is repaired I don't
think trying another prop makes much sense. While the Trophy
is obviously not the best choice the hull is the biggest problem.
Once the hill is fixed I will definetly try something else.

The replies about the props have all been appreciated!
Old 09-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

Just for a sanity check- take a look into your lower unit near where the front of the Trophy Plus’ barrel sits and look for an odd looking white plastic ring. If your lower is the same as the stock 150 lower- and I think it is, then the plastic ring should be visible. If it’s not- and I’ve had 4 of them fail on my 150 running the Trophy Plus in 21, 23, and 24 pitch, then your problem may be the missing ring. I lost 2 when the ring came out and stuck itself to the prop barrel, the other 2 appear to have melted from exhaust heat and just vanished. If your ring isn’t there then just replacing the ring may stop a lot of the venting you are experiencing. It’s officially called a “propeller sleeve bushing” by Merc and costs all of $4. at the dealer. The ring is used to compensate for the larger diameter bullet on the 150 gearcase compared to the older Opti’s and injected motors.

I ask this because you stated that the 19 Trophy and 19 aluminum both refused to hook up. The Trophy runs a small 4.25 barrel diameter vs around 4.75 diameter on the stock 150 hp gearcase aluminum props. The aluminum should have given you less venting due to its larger barrel(hub), although all of this may have been masked by the hook in the hull.

In any event, as others have posted, the Trophy Plus with its small 13.75 inch diameter is not a bow lifting prop when run on a walleye boat where the bows tend to be heavy. But on a bass boat or any light boat rigged for high performance the Trophy is a very good prop. For bow lift on a loaded up walleye boat, with or without a hook, as SLE stated the Tempest is good, but the Rev 4 and Bravo are better props. My Starcraft is rigged with nothing up front other than life jackets and empty live wells, no trolling motor. The Starcraft loves Trophy Props and top end is achieved with trim “out” only a small amount past neutral(cav plate parallel to the keel line). Your rig is much different than mine, and needs a lot of blade diameter and blade area to force the bow up with the hooked hull.
Doug
Old 09-27-2019, 06:04 AM
Minnow

In my opinion the lowest cost option would be Tempest for bow lift only.

To get bow lift, and bow control/stern lift the Bravo LT long tube. Legit top notch prop but pricey.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:34 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the replies. I do have the spacer in and solid plugs in
the PVS holes. I'm going out in my garage now to try to
repair the hook.