Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2020 Shorelandr trailer centering - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Keeper

Thanks Lund1875# for confirming it's not just me hah. Not a lot of wiggle room on these trailers.

Thanks Bobby Winds for the insight. I might still grab the guide bunks to help me visually work out if I'm centered.
I tried looking down in the water at the wheel wells last time to work out if I was centered. It was really hard to tell, especially in low light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Wallhanger

If you are able to adjust the side guides that you have now, closer to the boat, that would be my first thing to try. 3/4"-1" is plenty of clearance, and your boat will have to center at that point, even if deeply submerged. Most guides from the factory are useless at where they are initially set, as most of the ones I have seen have 3-4" of clearance. You may have to drill new holes for the u brackets to do this. Some Lunds come with side bunks that are way to far out, and you can just put a spacer board between the bunk and mounting bracket. If you can get your side guide to about 1" of clearance, it will center.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Wallhanger

1775 Impact happens everytime I load I believe Bobby is spot on only reason I can come up with. I made a set of PVC pipes that slide over the load quides and wrapped the top of them with foam to the thickness that keeps boat centered. When I back the trailer in to load grab the pipes out of truck get back in boat, load then slide the pipes over the load guides then pull out. when out of water it will be a lot closer to center but still not perfect if you put ratchet strap on port side first pull it tight and give boat a good shove can usually get the last inch needed. Remove the pvc pipes finish the tie downs and away you go. It is not the end of the world but it was irritating to me so that is the fix I came up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 01:55 PM
Minnow

My 2014 Crestliner Super Hawk 1950 is on the same trailer and does the same thing. all of the launches I go to forbid power loading. What I have found helps is to have someone stand exactly in the center of the boat while cranking it up. My boat centers much better when I do this.
Trollmaster Pro 3+
Lowrance Elite 9 Ti
Lowrance Elite 7 HDI
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 with iPilot
Old 01-09-2020, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

When I did the product search, I could not find a trailer that matched the model number you listed.

Do you have bars running from side to side on the trailer frame where you could mount center rollers on the trailer?

If you could mount three self centering rollers at the stern, midship and the bow you could nail the perfect center every single time with little issue.

With the self centering rollers, you really don't need the side guides at all, unless loading in a big wind or current.

Could you pull up the link from the Shorelander web site for your particular trailer?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Keeper

Hey REW,

I guess the full model number is SLV30BLW.

Here is a link to the exploded view of the trailer. I could not get a direct link from the Shorelandr parts site. Its not the exact same revision as mine, but looks almost exactly the same. If you want to see the exact trailer: https://midwestindustries.partsmartw...rtISAPI.dll?MF - Mine is SLV30BLW - 2018/9/4 - 2019/7/16.

On Page 2 - Detail B - I wonder if I could mount a self centering roller there easily. I found some rollers on Amazon pretty cheap, I think I might order them and see if I can make it work.

Here are some images of the exact trailer without the pole guides that mine has: https://www.badiuk.com/New-Inventory...ntario-7254622

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by jdavis; 01-09-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:37 AM
Keeper

A roller in Detail B at the crossmember pad has minimal impact most days. Add one at the middle crossmember, tight to the keel, with the boat on the trailer. I used a 12" with a 1 piece slotted bracket. Holes were in the crossmember already.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ike View Post
A roller in Detail B at the crossmember pad has minimal impact most days. Add one at the middle crossmember, tight to the keel, with the boat on the trailer. I used a 12" with a 1 piece slotted bracket. Holes were in the crossmember already.
That sounds good. I've got the same trailer with the same problem, so I'll take a look at it in the spring.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 PM
Keeper

My trailer might not be set up right but my bunks are loose enough that they pivot by the boats weight. As long as I don't back in too deep, I can power load it and it will be almost dead nuts each time. I do have side guide on's but there is like 3-4 inches of clearance on each side so they only act as a reference. I thought about locking them down but since it loads so good, I figure don't fix whats not broke.

Ches.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

JD,
It appears that you have a pair of keel pads on the pair of cross bars on the bottom of the trailer.

If you add a self centering roller and bracket at each of those locations and adjust them correctly, I expect that you will have much better luck in loading your boat.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Poly...8723425&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/CE-Smith-Trai...SPNM4X7ZCK097C

https://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-8603...SPNM4X7ZCK097C

A pair of these will run $100, but I expect that it will be worth it many times over.

-------------------
Once you get the brackets in place with the roller in the bracket, and with the boat perfectly centered on the trailer, tighten down the bracket until you can just barely move the bracket with some force. Then, use a 2 lb maul to adjust the bracket up, so that the roller is compressed without taking the hull off of the bunks. By having the bolts that tight before moving then, the rollers will stay in their position before making the bolts to their final tightness.

You still want the bunks to take most of the load, but you want to know that each of the rollers are under compression to insure that they will be in the right location and height to do their job of centering the boat.

Best wishes.

Best wishes.