Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Why don`t more spinning reels have this option - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 11-30-2020, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

Default Why don`t more spinning reels have this option

One of my huge peeves is spinning reels that you have to unscrew the handle to get it to fold as my rod locker is tight it is a pain in the a-s. My older Stradics have a button you just push and the handle folds right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 05:24 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
One of my huge peeves is spinning reels that you have to unscrew the handle to get it to fold as my rod locker is tight it is a pain in the a-s. My older Stradics have a button you just push and the handle folds right up.
That plastic button to push is not a stable design and cheap for that matter. A folding handle also gets loose as it ages. That pin that folds the 2 piece handle wears down and become less perfect of a fit over time. Now with Daiwa and Shimano, the one piece handle will age much better. No more loosey goosey feel as it gets long in the tooth.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:30 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
That plastic button to push is not a stable design and cheap for that matter. A folding handle also gets loose as it ages. That pin that folds the 2 piece handle wears down and become less perfect of a fit over time. Now with Daiwa and Shimano, the one piece handle will age much better. No more loosey goosey feel as it gets long in the tooth.
Exactly ^^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2020, 08:38 PM
Minnow

costs. Just like loosing the spare spool that came with almost every reel 20 years ago.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
X2.

It has nothing to do with cost. It's all about engineering and building a better reel.

The old handles with the plastic button or with a pass through shaft and a bolt on the the other end were very prone to failure and wear. So either your handle broke, or it just got loose and "sloppy" over time.

The new thread on design not only eliminates any chance of breaking or wear, it creates a much more solid connection between the handle and the reel body. There is ZERO play in the handle, and that's a big part of improving the overall feel and function of the reel. I personally love the new design, I can't imagine wanting to go back to the floppy handles and plastic screw caps of old.

Waxy
Old 12-02-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Many reels having a turn around handle also possess a higher-than-I-like degree of sloppiness. It is ludicrous to design a product with tight gearing tolerances, which aids in detecting light bites, and then include a loose(even when tightened) handle which negates the desired "feel".

Bill
Old 12-02-2020, 04:25 PM
Wallhanger

I am talking the old Stradics mine are all metal push in a metal lever and the handle folds. I must be missing something fishing with a spinning reel as the only time I am reeling is on a slack line using the rod to move jigs or Bladebaits and reeling up. I don`t believe I reel straight in on any presentation using a spinning reel, if fishing cranks or spinners I use baitcasters, but that is me.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:37 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
I am talking the old Stradics mine are all metal push in a metal lever and the handle folds.
I know exactly what you were talking about. My comments are exactly as they should be. It is an unstable, prone to breakage and wears out and feels sloppy over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iu.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	322680  

Last edited by Moff; 12-03-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:54 AM
Keeper

That foldy handle doesn't compare to the handle being made now. The new design is miles ahead.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2020, 01:07 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
That foldy handle doesn't compare to the handle being made now. The new design is miles ahead.
Correct, most of the mid to higher end handles are now one piece screw-in like the example you have shown...way better!