Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2 x4 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 08-24-2019, 08:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post
I repowered with a 2017 Etec g1 150 after piston seized in 2004 Johnson/Suzuki 140 four stroke. The Etec has been good, but under most conditions I would get a four stroke. I put a lot of hours on in a year so the oil gets very expensive. You can smell a faint odor of oil at times. Barely noticeable. It is definitely a lot louder at idle. The initial torque is probably better than a four stroke. A 150 four stroke probably is better on the top end from performance reports I have seen. The G1 weighs about the same as my Johnson140 four stroke did. I wanted to keep weight down with more performance than the 140. The G2 150 is the heaviest four stroke out there. I bought the Etec because it was a good repower option. The weight benefit of the Etec G2 150 is gone. I would not get an Etec on a new boat. The maintenance cost are lower on four stroke if you change your own oil. I went through ten gallons of Xd100 oil last year. So $300 to $400 in oil depending on how good a price you get. Exception would be if you put 50 or less hours on motor per season. I know the g2 use less oil and get better mileage. Still more expensive to operate if you do your own maintenance on a four stroke. Etecs are expensive to have spark plugs changed due to indexing the plugs, etc..Definitely easier to sell boat with a four stroke and resale is probably going to be higher.
first I ever heard of a zuki going down.....what happened? Overheat oil issue? …..Had an etec from Aug 06 to June 07. I didn't like it as it spent more hours in the shop than on the water....and I have been a die hard OMC guy for years. Current boat has a 150 merc 4 stroke...so far its been fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbgbesox View Post
Preference between two stroke Evenrude e tech and Mercury four stroke and why? Thanks
150 E-tec outruns the Merc 150 4S anyday in my book!! Get the V6 150 H.O.
Buy your XD-100 oil from www.domo-online.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 09:01 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW View Post
I repowered with a 2017 Etec g1 150 after piston seized in 2004 Johnson/Suzuki 140 four stroke. The Etec has been good, but under most conditions I would get a four stroke. I put a lot of hours on in a year so the oil gets very expensive. You can smell a faint odor of oil at times. Barely noticeable. It is definitely a lot louder at idle. The initial torque is probably better than a four stroke. A 150 four stroke probably is better on the top end from performance reports I have seen. The G1 weighs about the same as my Johnson140 four stroke did. I wanted to keep weight down with more performance than the 140. The G2 150 is the heaviest four stroke out there. I bought the Etec because it was a good repower option. The weight benefit of the Etec G2 150 is gone. I would not get an Etec on a new boat. The maintenance cost are lower on four stroke if you change your own oil. I went through ten gallons of Xd100 oil last year. So $300 to $400 in oil depending on how good a price you get. Exception would be if you put 50 or less hours on motor per season. I know the g2 use less oil and get better mileage. Still more expensive to operate if you do your own maintenance on a four stroke. Etecs are expensive to have spark plugs changed due to indexing the plugs, etc..Definitely easier to sell boat with a four stroke and resale is probably going to be higher.
It's not rocket science to gap and index the plugs, why pay a dealer to do it??

Old 08-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Warrrior View Post
It's not rocket science to gap and index the plugs, why pay a dealer to do it??

I agree..........if you can change the oil you should be able to change the spark plugs........it's a lot less messy too.

BTW E-TEC's new 2019 G2 3 cylinder 150 hp is now lighter and quieter with even better gas mileage. Per Popular Mechanics it gets "Incidentally, at 1,000 rpm the Yamaha is getting 6.1 mpg to the Evinride's 12.5 mpg. Fishermen take note of how that might impact a weekend of trolling".

Lot's of good info here......

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...612/e-tec-150/

BTW there is nothing wrong with a 4 stroke if that's what strokes you......
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Haven’t checked the Etec warranty for a year, or so. DIY’ers are out of luck if they want to preserve an ETEC warranty. Service must be performed by a certified tech. One more reason to add to the list.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Wallhanger

So it would be better to have a Merc or Yammy 3 year warranty then a 10 year E-TEC warranty that you only need to take to your dealer after 5 years for maintenance.........how does that make sense ? ? ?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

I’ve often credited BRP as the best marketing minds in boating. Their lower units, impellers and plugs are no better or worse than the others. They have made the calculation that they can extend the maintenance schedule without adding exposure. A lower unit that starts to go bad is readily identified in a lower lube job. They are banking on the naive consumer who believes the product is superior but when it come time to collect on a warranty claim they will point to operator error or abuse, and deny; which may have been avoided with reasonable service intervals.

I will lube my lower unit every year, for any brand of outboard, and check or replace impellers and plugs on at least a 3 year cycle. Filter change intervals are most influenced by the fuel source, handling practices, and environmental conditions which varies among owners.

I am going to do these items myself, rather than hitch up 2 times wasting a half day each way driving to a certified technician who overcharges for the service, heavily up-charged, secure with the exclusivity mandate in the warranty.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:43 AM
Wallhanger

So then do it yourself and you still get 5 years out of the 10 year warranty............ still better then a Merc or Yammy 3 year warranty.......it's your choice..
Old 08-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Keeper

I would change the plugs myself, but do not want to put the ten year warranty in jeopardy. I also change my lower unit lube every year. Lower unit is no different than other manufacturers. My Etec mechanic also said to do it yearly. As he said the normal user puts 25 hours on in a year. Warranty not covered if damage caused by water intrusion. My Suzuki ran fine up until it seized. Mechanic thought it was probably caused over time by bad fuel injector. I think Suzuki makes one of the best outboards. Maybe best fuel consumption throughout operating range. I get the best price on XD100 oil. Best price right now is around $40 dollars per gallon. Last year I got it at a great deal which I shared on this site. Three gallon for $67.00. Leadersrpmshop currently has best price.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Keeper

Here are some of the benefits Boattest.com pointed out of the new Evinrude 3 cylinder G2. 2 stroke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F912691F-6BD0-41AA-83A3-0739460E7833_1566836222047.png
Views:	41
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	312544   Click image for larger version

Name:	B366D225-4953-496B-B969-DDBCA3E385CB_1566836235467.png
Views:	36
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	312546   Click image for larger version

Name:	54C6003F-2EF4-4E4D-9D43-C917CCBE798E_1566836248165.png
Views:	46