Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cub Cadet Safety Switch Outsmarted Me - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Wallhanger

Default Cub Cadet Safety Switch Outsmarted Me

How do you jump the seat safety switch on a Cub rider so it runs when you get off? There's 4 wires on mine instead of the traditional 2. Just pulling the plug does't work so it needs jumping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Hawg,
Isn't there a setting on your mower so that you can leave the motor running and still leave the safety switch intact?

On my mower, you need to turn off the blade and set the parking brake. Then you can get off the mower and the mower will still stay running.

REW

Check your operating manual for the procedure to see if there is one.
Really, not a good idea to defeat the safety switch.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Hawg,
Isn't there a setting on your mower so that you can leave the motor running and still leave the safety switch intact?

On my mower, you need to turn off the blade and set the parking brake. Then you can get off the mower and the mower will still stay running.

REW

Check your operating manual for the procedure to see if there is one.
Really, not a good idea to defeat the safety switch.
Do you mean the engine will keep running with the parking brake set, or the mower will keep turning? My tractor just allows the engine to keep running. I'm guessing the 4 wire seat switch has something to do with allowing the engine to keep running with the parking brake set.
Hawg, you made need to see if one set of wires runs to the parking brake switch, and the other set to the mower switch. I second REW's don't jump the mower switch unless it's for a test or something which doesn't entail normal operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks guys, I learned something today. Set the brake, turn the PTO off, and it runs! Guess I should have read the book better, it was pretty frustrating starting it everytime I had to pick something up.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Glad you decided to mow safely.

I have seen too many incidents of foot and hand amputations due to folks defeating the safety machanisms on tools.

REW
Old 05-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

My Craftsman rider is the same but there is a switch built into the key switch, from the off position there is one click on then a second click then starter, If I have it on the first click from off and the brake set and mower blades off, I can get off it with the motor running. If it is in the second click detent the motor shuts off as soon as you leave the seat no matter what. I guess maybe a good setting if you have your kid mowing the lawn. I had a old mower I by passed the switch so I could get off the seat with the blades running and in gear so I could walk along side and steer and cut under my long row of bushes and get way under the bushes without being hit in the face with all the branches. I also bypassed the reverse switch shut off, sometimes you just need to back up a few inches to make a turn without having to shut down the mower blade deck. These new mowers are smarter than me now also. Imo I guess if you are dumb enough to stick your hand in a turning mower deck, no amount of safety switches will keep you from getting hurt somehow.

Last edited by eriksat1; 05-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Erik,
Good luck on your walking along side the mower when mowing the bushes.

This is the exact thing that a couple fellows that I know were doing when they slipped on slippery grass and lost both feet.

Best of luck
REW
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

I never met one person in my life that was cut by a mower, and you know 2 that had there feet cut off? 1st gear is a very slow speed, my guess they were going to fast. I'm sure if anyone knows how to bypass the switches they better not make the information public or the lawyers will be pounding at your door.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Keeper

Default mower

You know none, and I know 3 , but thats including ME . Just sayin.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 PM
motocash

Default Cub Cadet Seat Switch Bypass

To bypass the seat switch on a 4 pin Cub Cadet switch, you must first remove the metal(s) tab directly adjacent and inside the 4 pin female plug. Between pins 2 and 3 and looking from the back (where the wires go into the plug) there is a little metal tab that you can push forward and out. This a tab that connects all 4 wires together if the actual plug isn't installed. Push that out then jumper yellows to yellows and greens to greens. Viola! An actual mower the way it should have come from the factory.