Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cub Cadet Safety Switch Outsmarted Me - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Keeper

On my cub cadet, I simply lifted the seat and stuck a wrap of electrical tape between the ends that make contact when the seat is raised which kills the engine. Maybe its not the safest, but I am the only one that runs it, and I know the safety switch is not functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
I never met one person in my life that was cut by a mower, and you know 2 that had there feet cut off? 1st gear is a very slow speed, my guess they were going to fast. I'm sure if anyone knows how to bypass the switches they better not make the information public or the lawyers will be pounding at your door.
About 40 years ago my business partners 6 year old daughter was walking along side a riding mower being operated by her Grandma, she slipped and lost 1 foot and had many operations over 2 years to save the other foot.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
I never met one person in my life that was cut by a mower, and you know 2 that had there feet cut off? 1st gear is a very slow speed, my guess they were going to fast. I'm sure if anyone knows how to bypass the switches they better not make the information public or the lawyers will be pounding at your door.
I know someone that had his foot run over by a push mower. Similar thing, he slipped going up a hill and the mower ran over a foot while still running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

I know a guy who flipped his riding mower upside down cuz he hooked the front on a tire swing while mowing around the tree.

Yup...I know him pretty well...good looking guy that normally wouldn't so something so foolish
Old 09-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

Wow a flash back from 2012.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:58 AM
Keeper

Talking Mower up a tree

In a work meeting one afternoon a guy has to excuse himself to rush home to an emergency. His wife reported the lawn mower was up in a tree still running. Safety First he asked her to stay in the house until he could get home to see what in the world was going on.

She was mowing around a weeping willow tree where the branches reached to ground level. The branches started wrapping around the running mower blade shaft causing the mower to start climbing. He said he turned the mower off and lower it after it cooled off.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Keeper

I know some guys. But, I am the guy. Radio handle isn't Snaggle Toe for nothing. All I'll say is accidents happen. Safety first, is a great motto.

As I was receiving the 157 stitches in my toes. The trauma surgeon was looking at an x-ray of a 7 year old girl's skull who had an unknown object (a little smaller than a dime) embedded in her pretty little cheek. Seems she was playing outside when Grandpa was cutting the grass. She got hit by something ejected from the mowing deck. I could her screaming and crying down the hospital hall as he was working on me. He was afraid to give her anything because he didn't know it is was organic or inert yet? He was trying to do tests without probing in there too much. Maybe something he could leave in there and not disfigure this poor girls face any more??? Dr Spiro Analitis sewed me back together than went and did something for that poor girl. Her Grandpa has to live with that.
I know of many many more bad mower accidents. Probably because I pay attention when I hear of them.

No one is allowed outside at my house when I am mowing. No one. Safety First. NEVER DISABLE A SAFETY DEVICE. At least don't let anyone else operate the equipment.

Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

i have the seat switch deactivated by a hand switch under the seat. nobody knows its there. but i'm the primary mower in the family (1hr and 15 minutes of peace)

The one that i really couldn't wait to bypass was when you reverse and it shuts off the pto.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnd View Post
...The one that i really couldn't wait to bypass was when you reverse and it shuts off the pto.
I agree, the reverse shut off switch on the Cub Cadets is antagonizing. Most mowers don't have that shut down design. That switch failed on mine, instead of replacing it I modified the mower so the blade would not shut off when put in reverse. Wished I knew how easy it was to do that 10 years earlier.

I'm glad I got rid of that Cub Cadet. There were just too many things that broke that shouldn't have. It mowed good, but it was far from reliable.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Wallhanger

My Cub Cadet is about 5 years old. It has a position on the key switch that will let you mow in reverse. The seat safety is kind of a pain but I have fairly long arms and can lean over the side to pick something up. The engine begins to kill but when I straighten up it fires back up.