Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1997-2006 Lund Boat Owners Beware - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
There are several indicators, small paint bubbles around rivets and fittings, black streaks weeping from anything screwed into transom,Indents around motor mount screws and rivets which is wood swelling up,if you knock on it in various places there will be a more hollow sound. If you pull a screw out and water drips out. Cracked aluminum in transom top cap by motor due to extra flexing of the soft wood.Also visual inspection by going into bilge area, on some models you can see some of the wood. On my latest boat it was so bad , the wood was so bad pieces broke off in my hand in bilge area.

These are some if indications which may or may not be present. If you suspect a bad transom on a boat you might be purchasing its not the end of the world, just point it out to owner and negotiate it into the purchase price. If they are unwilling to do so ,move on. I bought both my Lunds with bad transoms, didn't mind as now I know there is fresh wood back there . I replaced my latest with Seacast, will never rot again.
Any ballpark on what a piece of Seacast or a similar product would run a guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 02:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
Any ballpark on what a piece of Seacast or a similar product would run a guy?
Well you just can't get a piece of Seacast, it actually has to be mixed and then poured in. Coosa board can be purchased by the piece. If you go the Seacast route there is alot of prep work for an aluminum boat as Seacast was originally designed for enclosed transom fiberglass boats. If you are doing it yourself it just costs you time but if you have a shop do it of course time is money.

In my case i recieved several quotes of 3000-4000 for a wood transom. The Seacast was a thousand more. It sounds like alot but I recieved a lifetime guarantee from the shop, and the fact there is no wood to ever rot again. Plus if i ever decide to sell, having a Seacat transom should add value.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 05-28-2019, 11:06 PM
welll

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me 10,000++++ times and people still think you make a great product. Wake up people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 06:40 AM
Keeper

too be fair LUND is not alone in having this problem you hear about it more because they are in most cases worth fixing all other manufacturers had similar issues when the EPA no longer let the plywood companies used the toxic chemicals to treat the wood that did not turn it green

there is just no replacement for good marine grade A plywood when it comes to strength and flexibility like a air planes

sea cast and penskie board type materials will never rot but are not quite as flexible as good old plywood if your the guy that pushes his boat to the limits on the Great Lakes rough water like tournament fisherman for example the lack of flexibility can cause other problems

Last edited by omc frank; 05-30-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by welll View Post
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me 10,000++++ times and people still think you make a great product. Wake up people.
What a ridiculous statement, wood rots in all brands of boats. The reason you hear about it more in Lunds is because there are more Lunds out there and like Frank says, they are worth fixing. Now i will agree that Lund could have used better wood in those years and could have used sealant on the transom cap. But they didn't so what can you do, if you're buying a 15+ year old boat odds are that the wood is breaking down. Id just as soon replace the transom and know your good for another 20 years.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 06-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wood rots plain and simple. Could Lund have done a better job with their transoms?- sure. They were under different ownership for most of the mentioned years, Been under Brunswick's wings since 04. Errors have been corrected. I've had two different Lunds and had two different transoms replaced but now I have peace of mind knowing i have a brand new transom. Unfortunate but Lunds are still and always have been top notch boats
The Brunswick purchase was in 2006 - almost to the day when Brunswick ownership started, Marine Grade plywood was an upgrade to the std spec.

Also improved the transom warranty at that time.

Was not exposed at that time, but the Genmar ownership years are in hindsight a source of significant brand black eye. Hindsight is 20-20 as they say...

Lund has in many cases sold the new material used in current model boat transoms to repair these older boats. It's somewhat expensive, but a good product.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Minnow

Default Too many rotted transoms

Quote:
Wood rots plain and simple. Could Lund have done a better job with their transoms?- sure. They were under different ownership for most of the mentioned years, Been under Brunswick's wings since 04. Errors have been corrected. I've had two different Lunds and had two different transoms replaced but now I have peace of mind knowing i have a brand new transom. Unfortunate but Lunds are still and always have been top notch boats
I have read all of the replies to my original post. I believe you are going too easy on Lund. When they have the gonads to charge $40,000 for a boat in 2003, it should have better material. I shouldn’t have to deal with non marine grade plywood in the transom. Nor should I have to deal with cracked consoles, busted chairs and screws coming out everywhere. I have bought my last Lund after 40 years as a loyal customer. Just upgraded to a Ranger. You can tell the difference in quality immediately.

Last edited by dreisinger; 06-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger View Post
I have read all of the replies to my original post. I believe you are going too easy on Lund. When they have the gonads to charge $40,000 for a boat in 2003, it should have better material. I shouldnít have to deal with non marine grade plywood in the transom. Nor should I have to deal with cracked consoles, busted chairs and screws coming out everywhere. I have bought my last Lund after 40 years as a loyal customer. Just upgraded to a Ranger. You can tell the difference in quality immediately.

I used to have a Lund and recently upgraded to a Ranger.

Iíd say your last statement is still unproven. BPS doesnít exactly have the best reputation for top quality.

I hope they donít change Ranger to emulate Nitro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
I used to have a Lund and recently upgraded to a Ranger.

Iíd say your last statement is still unproven. BPS doesnít exactly have the best reputation for top quality.

I hope they donít change Ranger to emulate Nitro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...And Tracker does??
Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 AM
Slot Fish

I've owned many Lund boats and I've never had a rotten transom. Good luck maybe, good care Always. Anytime I installed transducers or anything on my transom I made sure I sealed it up. I'm not saying Lund doesn't or didn't have issues. I also believe some owners might have contributed to their problems. All manufactures have had and do have manufacturing issues and defects. I personally have had more issues with Ranger boats than Lund boats.