Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best 20 to 25hp 4 stroke - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 08-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Best 20 to 25hp 4 stroke

Looking at upgrading the motor on my 1448 jon. It is rated for a 30hp but this hull (90's vintage) was made for lighter 2 strokes and currently has an older Johnson 25hp on it (1969 100lbs, 15" transom). The old motor runs fine but I'd like the smooth quiet fuel efficiency of a newer 4 stroke. Suggestions welcome.....will try to buy used if I can find one. I think some of these engines are clones of each other but don't really know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 20hp suzuki which I've very pleased with, but it had nowhere near the power of my old Yam 25 autolube. A lot of the 20hp models are based on the 10 and 15hp motors, so they don't have the displacement of the 25 and 30hp motors. Weight is going to be your issue.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:15 AM
Minnow

I have a 20HP merc 4 stroke. Gets my old 14' Alumacraft going better than the 1974 25hp Johnson ever did. You can also call the manufacturer.
Lowrance Ti2 9" console and bow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I had an Alumacraft 1448 for years and ran a Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke. Absolutely flawless. It was a fishing/waterfowl boat and always started in the cold, down to single digit temps...pull start too.

If I were you I would consider Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki 4 strokes. Small Mercury 4 strokes have never impressed me. I have a 9.9 Mercury and Mercury hasn't made parts for 1/2 it's existence.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Interesting, I have the same boat but and older version, rated 25 hp. Had a 15 hp on it when I bought it but soon felt that it was not enough power. Found about a 1996 25 hp 2 stroke, 2 cylinder Merc. A pretty simple motor but it really improved the performance. Last year I scored a cylinder and the dealer said it wasn't worth fixing. He has Mercury, Evinrude, and Yamaha and I told them, I don't care which one, just get me something. Well, the Yamaha had the least displacement for the class of power and was the lightest however specs can be deceiving as each has their own circumstances. Ended up with the 3 cylinder 25 hp Merc, it was about 40 pounds heavier than my old 2 stroke, and more importantly I got electric start (getting too old). I am in that "there's no replacement for displacement" crowd as Yamaha was about 25% less Cubic Inches. I am sure any of them will work, actually taking mine out today for it's first run. Unfortunately you are stuck with the weight as my research says the only 2 strokes are the used ones, otherwise I would have one.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

I had a 1981 Lund 14' SSV with a older Johnson 2 stroke on it. It was a great engine and performed flawlessly. I now own another 14' 1981 SSV and put a Suzuki 20 HP on it. It was the only EFI 4 stroke at the time (2015). It started on the 2nd pull when new and never has taken more than 2 pulls since. Usually 1 as it has a batteryless electric starting system. (Some kind of magic I think) It only weights 97 lbs and is a breeze to put on and off. I switch it out often as I Bluegill fish on a no motor lake. W.O.T. is about 22mph and it trolls down to about 1.6mph. I am very satisfied with it!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:58 AM
Wallhanger

how do the 4 strokes troll compared the 2 strokes speed wise? My old OMC stuff can basically crawl....we fish rivers with small trolling stretches ( mostly shad raps and alike ) and this is a deal breaker....IE 25hp 2 stroke mercs won't troll slow enough.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Slot Fish

For what it's worth, if you're wondering about the power difference of dropping down to a new 20 from your old 25 I wouldn't think it would be anything noticeable.

I think I recall that in the mid 1980's power ratings were changed to reflect the power at the propshaft instead of at the flywheel of a bare engine. This mostly affected the American brands since the Japanese were already rating at the propshaft. Anyway, there was about a 10%-15% drop in power (e.g. the Johnson/Evinrude 35 was re-rated as a 30). That, combined with the fact your 25 Johnson is 50 years old should translate into a new 20 Hp 4-stroke probably giving you at least as good of performance as your old "25 hp."

Just to keep the weight down in what's probably a light boat, I'd think you'd be better off with a 20 hp than an 25. Or, look to the new Yamaha 25 which is pretty light compared to every other 25 hp out there. If you need to remove the motor periodically, you might find the 25's to be a handful. There are a lot of extra pounds to be gained when making that 5-hp jump and they are hard to handle. Between 100-150 pounds seems to be the cutoff for me on what becomes easily manageable. Kind of a tipping point.

I'm surprised you've had issues with the 2-stroke merc's not trolling slow enough. Granted it was in the days before GPS, but we always thought they were as slow as our old Johnson/Evinrude 25 2-strokes.

The new engines will idle way down to a crawl, but I suppose it's possible that a 25 will be swinging too big of a prop for you to troll super slow since you have a small boat. You'll shoot to match the full-speed load/RPM of your boat which might come at the peril of low speed crawling. I'd think you'll have a better shot of slow trolling success if you stay in the 20 hp class, maybe with a 4-blade wheel.

If you do decide to bump to the 25 hp bracket, don't forget the Evinrude E-tec. Excellent engine. It will slow troll like a 4-stroke but has a little more kick. i think they are the 25 to beat. But it is a heavy SOB.

Evinrude or 4-stroke, you'll have to say goodbye to the smoke and fumes of your classic motor.

Steve

Last edited by wh500special; 08-09-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
Interesting, I have the same boat but and older version, rated 25 hp. Had a 15 hp on it when I bought it but soon felt that it was not enough power. Found about a 1996 25 hp 2 stroke, 2 cylinder Merc. A pretty simple motor but it really improved the performance. Last year I scored a cylinder and the dealer said it wasn't worth fixing. He has Mercury, Evinrude, and Yamaha and I told them, I don't care which one, just get me something. Well, the Yamaha had the least displacement for the class of power and was the lightest however specs can be deceiving as each has their own circumstances. Ended up with the 3 cylinder 25 hp Merc, it was about 40 pounds heavier than my old 2 stroke, and more importantly I got electric start (getting too old). I am in that "there's no replacement for displacement" crowd as Yamaha was about 25% less Cubic Inches. I am sure any of them will work, actually taking mine out today for it's first run. Unfortunately you are stuck with the weight as my research says the only 2 strokes are the used ones, otherwise I would have one.

Did you ever run that merc? Curious as today a salesman told me sometimes the older the boat the less it likes the newer engine and suggested to stay as light as possible...IE Suzuki or merc 20hp.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 PM
Minnow

If you are looking used, I know in the past that Tohatsu made the smaller motors for many manufacturers - Merc and Nissan for sure. Probably others as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk